Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Squash & Racquetball courts . . .

For the past 6 years I have been fortunate to be able to travel to the Philippines (and Thailand) at least twice a year. Beginning next year I will finally be able to travel more and stay longer :D . . . . meaning 4 to 6 weeks per trip.

Besides the obvious mongering reasons for going to Manila, AC, Bangkok, Pattaya, etc.... I enjoy doing other stuff such as scuba diving. (Both countries offer almost inexhaustible diving destinations - I love it!).

But does anyone know if there are squash & racquetball courts in Bangkok and/or Pattaya? (My past trips have been so short I've never bothered to look for courts... but I'd like to know if there are any, for future trips).

Thanks, --- Farsider

For the past 6 years I have been fortunate to be able to travel to the Philippines (and Thailand) at least twice a year. Beginning next year I will finally be able to travel more and stay longer :beer . . . . meaning 4 to 6 weeks per trip.

Besides the obvious mongering reasons for going to Manila, AC, Bangkok, Pattaya, etc.... I enjoy doing other stuff such as scuba diving. (Both countries offer almost inexhaustible diving destinations - I love it!).

But does anyone know if there are squash & racquetball courts in Bangkok and/or Pattaya? (My past trips have been so short I've never bothered to look for courts... but I'd like to know if there are any, for future trips).

Thanks, --- Farsider

Yes,there are squash courts very near Pattaya,played there once.

Cant remember the name of the hotel where they are incorperated,but its a very very large hotel about 3 mls south on Suk highway.

If i remember the name ill post it.

Royal Cliff has 2 courts.

200bt Air con and 200bt for guest.

I'm a member and used to play a lot. Now I'm 57 prefer the slower paced racket ball.

PM me if you want a game.

• 5 years later...

I know, it's nearly 6 years ago that you posted your question ...

We are playing every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, starting around 5 p.m. at
the Ambassador City Hotel at Na-Jomtien. It's one of the largest hotels in the
world and has 8 Squash-Courts. It's about 10 km south of Pattaya, directly on the
Sukhumwith-Road. http://www.ambassadorcityjomtien.com/local.php

Court fee just 80 Baht per evening (when playing with us).

Our FB-Page: https://facebook.com/pattaya.squash

• 2 months later...

Royal Cliff has 2 courts.

200bt Air con and 200bt for guest.

I'm a member and used to play a lot. Now I'm 57 prefer the slower paced racket ball.

PM me if you want a game.

hi Atlas,

we Play Racketball about 2 times a week or whenever we have time. The available courts are few in Pattaya, in that most courts are exclusively for squash, and or do not have a backwall. Please contact me, we welcome any new or old players that like to play. FairTex had a decent court, but they closed it down, we can play at CholChan on the Northside, but we are looking or alternate places as well.

contact me if you wish,

LifeStyleAdvisor@gmail.com
​PigsFly

Is that where you play ping pong ? :llaugh

I don't like to talk about it but when I played Andropov in Saigon........It was all about 'ping-pong diplomacy' ...... I'm not up to Torque's standard though. He beat Forest Gump you know!

Edited by atlas2

I don't like to talk about it but when I played Andropov in Saigon........It was all about 'ping-pong diplomacy' ...... I'm not up to Torque's standard though. He beat Forest Gump you know!

I'm still grinning about your earlier post on this thread that racquetball is slower paced than squash.

You're not doing it right.

• Upvote 1

I'm still grinning about your earlier post on this thread that racquetball is slower paced than squash.

You're not doing it right.

Probably not.......

I've never played racquetball on an American court perhaps it's different. The racket ball 'ball' we use on a squash court......bounces much higher than a squash ball giving comparatively 'more time than Greenwich' to get to your shot. I like it because it's less dynamic.....less injuries......much longer rallies. You can come off court saturated having had fun, and win or lose proper exercise.......

When I transferred from squash to racquetball I was surprised that it took me a couple of weeks to beat a regular racquetball player who I used to comfortably control playing squash.

Our squash club number 1.....ranked somewhere low in the world squash top 100 or so went off to work in a US college and became US Racquetball champion.

He's quoted in this article that explains the differences between Squash, UK Racquetball and the US version better..........

http://squashmagazine.ussquash.com/2015/08/the-little-secret-game/

Edited by atlas2

Probably not.......

I've never played racquetball on an American court perhaps it's different. The racket ball 'ball' we use on a squash court......bounces much higher than a squash ball giving comparatively 'more time than Greenwich' to get to your shot. I like it because it's less dynamic.....less injuries......much longer rallies. You can come off court saturated having had fun, and win or lose proper exercise.......

When I transferred from squash to racquetball I was surprised that it took me a couple of weeks to beat a regular racquetball player who I used to comfortably control playing squash.

Our squash club number 1.....ranked somewhere low in the world squash top 100 or so went off to work in a US college and became US Racquetball champion.

He's quoted in this article that explains the differences between Squash, UK Racquetball and the US version better..........

http://squashmagazine.ussquash.com/2015/08/the-little-secret-game/

I enjoyed that article; thanks for posting it. I was the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia champion in 1982, probably a total of less than about 500 players in KSA at the time, mostly in Jubail and Yanbu.

The rallies in competitive RB in the US are very short, in my experience much different than squash. Many end in a kill shot often called a "rollout" because it hits so low on the front ball and with proper spin it will virtually roll back giving your opponent no return shot.

To me both squash and RB provide just as good of a workout when competitively played. But then in my opinion Rugby and US football are just as strenuous and one's favorite tends to be how and where they grew up as a youngster.

playing RB today at royal cliff meeting at 12:30.....come if you would like a lively game.

I went over to watch.........And just hit a few ...... wow!

If any squash player has ever played with a blue spot on a roasting court... well that doesn't come close to the bounce on an American racquet-ball ball.

A very different game to be sure from the UK version. I would reckon a UK racquet ball might compare to something close to a white spot.

In squash, balls with a blue spot are for complete beginners.....Next up in terms of bounce red-spot is perhaps permissible in a game played in arctic conditions......White-spot for very, very cold courts.........Yellow-spot was normal in my day. Now it's the ultra slow double yellow-spot and that's still used in ver cold conditions for proper league games or club matches.

In squash the slower the ball, the lower the bounce, the shorter the time to reach the ball = the faster the game.

I'm sure this American version of the game calls for skill and lightening reactions..Though it seemed on first impressions that the only time you're really called upon to run is when the ball pings off the back wall so fast you have to chase after it and hit it going away from you before it hits the front wall for the 2nd time.

Pigs fly had broken bones in his hand, ribs and collar bones after a motor-cycle accident. But he was still having a go. Good on him.

If your American and you're familiar with game give him a pm.

Edited by atlas2
  • 2 months later...

Thank You John for your NICE Comments above....I am still playing with a broken right hand, but gladly use my left hand for anyone that wishes to have a Go at RacketBall.....WE NEED RacketBall or Squash PLAYERS.....We play up to 3 days a week at the Royal Cliff Sports Club, and IF you beat me, Lunch is on me, no obligation on your part the 1st time. 2nd time around, I expect the same offer....that does not mean you have to take me up on that either.

Contact me if you would like to play, 084-331-1776