Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Is a 1 hour transfer possible ?

I have to get back to UK asap and after the recent situation with stranded passengers, I am struggling to get a seat.

My airline (Eva) has me on a waiting list but they say they can't see me getting home before my original return flight in 3 weeks time.

Unless anyone has any other recommendations, I guess I'm going to have buy a one way flight home for this coming week.

Although some airlines were wanting almost £3000, the 2 cheapest I found were Kingfisher and Jet, both going via Bombay.

Kingfisher at £340 has a 1 hour transfer and Jet at £440 a 2 hour.

Kingfisher is £100 cheaper but I just cant see I'd make the transfer and my luggage would most definately not, and could really do without another 24 hours stuck in Bombay.

Has anyone done a 1 hour transfer, not neccesarily Kingfisher as I know it's a new route, and did it work ?

Or would you say just pay the extra £100 and hopefully a 2 hour transfer should work.

I have to get back to UK asap and after the recent situation with stranded passengers, I am struggling to get a seat.

My airline (Eva) has me on a waiting list but they say they can't see me getting home before my original return flight in 3 weeks time.

Unless anyone has any other recommendations, I guess I'm going to have buy a one way flight home for this coming week.

Although some airlines were wanting almost £3000, the 2 cheapest I found were Kingfisher and Jet, both going via Bombay.

Kingfisher is £100 cheaper but I just cant see I'd make the transfer and my luggage would most definately not, and could really do without another 24 hours stuck in Bombay.

Has anyone done a 1 hour transfer, not neccesarily Kingfisher as I know it's a new route, and did it work ?

Or would you say just pay the extra £100 and hopefully a 2 hour transfer should work.

when you change planes for a tranfer you dont take your luggage to the new flight, its done for you

Kingfisher will be well aware of the short transfer time and your bags will make the connection no problem.

Baggage handlers know in advance what incoming flights will need baggage transferred.

I don't see it being an issue unless you're late arriving in Bombay for your connection.All of the transfer bags are put in a can (container) for just that purpose as are local Bombay bags.Your bags should be brought directly to the conecting flt and not to the bagroom.If there are sufficient bags in the can,the can will be directly loaded onto the connecting flt.

I have worked at both a connecting station and origin station and that's how it's done.

Only problem I would see is that it is not the best of airports. The security lines are very slow and I think it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get through going back with Jet.

Edited by Taltos

If the airline booked you through, then yes it will be fine.

Problems arise if you book 2 flights separately ... even with the same airline.

Problems REALLY arise when you connect with 2 airlines that dont codeshare.

My flights to BKK from Australia with Singapore Airlines have a 50 minute connection time at Changi.

Never had a problem. Mind you there is no time to mess around especially since this requires a terminal change.

You will be fine. Just pick the better airline as LOS to UK is a looong trip.

Only problem I would see is that it is not the best of airports. The security lines are very slow and I think it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get through going back with Jet.

Never transitted through Bombay before (but will in July with Kingfisher) but I have done one hour stopovers without a problem elewhere. If the security queue is long just ask one of the security guys to be fast-tracked. This should not be an issue if you have your connecting flight Boarding Pass.

Glyn.

Having worked in transfer baggage area for the last 10 years of working at LHR. I would not recommend a 1 hour connection.

It is possible to make it with your baggage IF

Your original flight arrives on time, or early.

Connection bags are seperarted at origional station. This means they don't all go with the 'local' baggage to the arrival hall, where they are then sperated from 'Y' bags and taken to transfer area for Screening and distributing to next flight.

(This can add 20 minutes to time taken - or more.)

Your connection is online I.E the same carrier, not interline, from one carrier to another.

You arrive at an off peak time when things are not so busy and staff are not under pressure.

Security screening of every bag at the transfer point, has stretched the connection times possible. The airlines however, along with Travel Agents, have pushed for even shorter legal connection times at airports. This gives them a bigger window of flights to book passengers on.

If the time is cut from 90 min' to 60, all the flights under 90 min' previously 'illegal connection' were dropped out of the computer system. By making legal connection at an airport 60 min', the flights between 60- 90 become legal connections.

Every European airport wants to be the Hub of the Continent. We Baggage supervisors at LHR, were always being asked to improve the connection baggage efficiency, without more man power or costs ! When Star Alliance was first formed, I and other carriers baggage supervisors, were asked what we thought of a 35 min connection at LhR between member airlines. Some of us laughed, or said things like " You cannot be serious ? "

Until miracles become the norm' it 'aint gonna happen.

If I was traveling I would want 90 min' minimum connection.

Good luck.

Having worked in transfer baggage area for the last 10 years of working at LHR. I would not recommend a 1 hour connection.

Connection bags are seperarted at origional station. This means they don't all go with the 'local' baggage to the arrival hall, where they are then sperated from 'Y' bags and taken to transfer area for Screening and distributing to next flight.

Your connection is online I.E the same carrier, not interline, from one carrier to another.

You arrive at an off peak time when things are not so busy and staff are not under pressure.

Security screening of every bag at the transfer point, has stretched the connection times possible. The airlines however, along with Travel Agents, have pushed for even shorter legal connection times at airports. This gives them a bigger window of flights to book passengers on.

If the time is cut from 90 min' to 60, all the flights under 90 min' previously 'illegal connection' were dropped out of the computer system. By making legal connection at an airport 60 min', the flights between 60- 90 become legal connections.

Every European airport wants to be the Hub of the Continent. We Baggage supervisors at LHR, were always being asked to improve the connection baggage efficiency, without more man power or costs ! When Star Alliance was first formed, I and other carriers baggage supervisors, were asked what we thought of a 35 min connection at LhR between member airlines. Some of us laughed, or said things like " You cannot be serious ? "

Good luck.

Voice of reason there for the OP

Personally I can only think of 4 flights Ive been on where the connection was around an hour-3 on Qatar and once on Balkan but there was no problem.

Pays your money and takes your chance I guess.

Good luck.

Thank you for such an informative reply. I will swerve the Kingfisher one then I think. Although like the Kingfisher flight, the other flights I have looked at, although advertised as available, come back unavailable when I go through the booking process.

I also went into a couple of travel agents here in Pattaya, but both said no availability on any flights next week. :D

So I decided to go up to Bangkok today to Eva's office and also to their desk in the airport. They have me on a stand-by waiting list (with over a hundred before me !) so not looking good. Although they have informed they are laying on 2 extra flights next week to get the stranded passengers home, and help clear the back log, so there might be some hope for me yet.

Thank you for such an informative reply. I will swerve the Kingfisher one then I think. Although like the Kingfisher flight, the other flights I have looked at, although advertised as available, come back unavailable when I go through the booking process.

I also went into a couple of travel agents here in Pattaya, but both said no availability on any flights next week. :unsure:

So I decided to go up to Bangkok today to Eva's office and also to their desk in the airport. They have me on a stand-by waiting list (with over a hundred before me !) so not looking good. Although they have informed they are laying on 2 extra flights next week to get the stranded passengers home, and help clear the back log, so there might be some hope for me yet.

Do you actually change aircraft as if the same aircraft goes on to england your luggage may just stay onboard and new passengers join you,I had this several times years ago on flights from Perth australia to bali via jakarta where we had to leave the aircraft go through immigration then back to the same plane for a domestic leg down to bali lol.

Both Air Asia and Tiger Airways these days fly into perth and back out with a 30 minute turnaround.

If he's transferring,no need to deal with security lines as he'll just transfer to next flt w/o exiting and re-entering secure area.When you exit,there should be lines for psgrs clearing customs and a separate lane for transferring psgrs.

Edited by LTGTR

Go for the cheapest flight.

One hour or two hours, you will be lucky if your baggage makes it.

Good luck.

I managed to stay out of the dark.

To the OP this is good advice.

If he's transferring,no need to deal with security lines as he'll just transfer to next flt w/o exiting and re-entering secure area.When you exit,there should be lines for psgrs clearing customs and a separate lane for transferring psgrs.

If you are transferring through Mumbai, you will have to deal with long delays to clear security.

If he's transferring,no need to clear customs and re-enter-simply pass through transfer lane and bypass immigration.Is that not an option in Mumbai?It works well in other major airports.

Edited by LTGTR

Have you flown through Mumbai? I can assure you from personal experince that you have to go through security both coming and going. You are driven by bus from and to the Bangkok plane.

Going back was bad, not that I had anything else to do. The Indians do not know how to waite in line and cut through any chance they get.

This may all chance when Terminal 2 is finished but is how it was 2 months ago.

Edited by Taltos
If he's transferring,no need to clear customs and re-enter-simply pass through transfer lane and bypass immigration.Is that not an option in Mumbai?It works well in other major airports.

And so it should, works fine everywhere else.

But as Taltos said, it just aint the same in Mumbai.

Have you flown through Mumbai? I can assure you from personal experince that you have to go through security both coming and going. You are driven by bus from and to the Bangkok plane.

Going back was bad, not that I had anything else to do. The Indians do not know how to waite in line and cut through any chance they get.

This may all chance when Terminal 2 is finished but is how it was 2 months ago.

To answer your question,no.Mumbai was a destination (lol) for me.

There are normally security checks of some form as arriving international passengers are regarded as unsecured.

Which Airports do you know that do not practice this?

Edited by jacko
Do you actually change aircraft as if the same aircraft goes on to england your luggage may just stay onboard and new passengers join you,I had this several times years ago on flights from Perth australia to bali via jakarta where we had to leave the aircraft go through immigration then back to the same plane for a domestic leg down to bali lol.

Both Air Asia and Tiger Airways these days fly into perth and back out with a 30 minute turnaround.

Since Kingfisher is an Indian based carrier, the same plane continuing on to London is unlikely, and would be treated as a separate flight anyhow.

The schedule shows A320 from BKK and A330 to London.

Edited by jacko
There are normally security checks of some form as arriving international passengers are regarded as unsecured.

Which Airports do you know that do not practice this?

None.But my point was no need to exit and re-enter,which is time consuming.As mentioned earlier,many 20th & 21st century airports have a point on arrival for transferring psgrs and those ending their journey and clearing immigration and customs.

None.But my point was no need to exit and re-enter,which is time consuming.As mentioned earlier,many 20th & 21st century airports have a point on arrival for transferring psgrs and those ending their journey and clearing immigration and customs.
It is quite a few years since I used Bombay (Mumbai) airport, and I most certainly would not choose to transit there en-route UK-LOS.

On my last visit, it wasn't the 21st century yet, certainly not in Bombay airport, by a long chalk. :rolleyes: It was a shit hole full of mosquitoes and bugs.

Posts in this very forum have spoken badly of transfers in Mumbai.

I, and two Thais, did BKK-BOM-LHR-BOM-BKK in April last year with Jet. Outbound from BKK we arrived an hour late in BOM and were taken on a separate bus from the plane to the boarding gate for the next leg. Can't remember going through security, but I'm sure we did. If we had been a bit later the cabin crew told me that if there were several passengers doing the same journey, they would have held the second flight. On the return leg we were on time into BOM and the security process was about an hour and a half, but there were no probs getting to the last leg. All baggage arrived as it should have done.

I was also a little worried about transfer times before the departure date and checked the same flights actual arrivals/departures on www.flightstats.com for about two weeks prior. The latest flight was about one and a quarter hours late. I had been told at Jet office in Bangkok that they were rarely late and that proved to be correct.

My conclusion is that if they schedule a small window, then they must be fairly confident that they can do the job. Go for it.