Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 168 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Thai 5 Year Driving License Renewal

I guess there's info here but I cannot find it so am posting a new thread. Does anyone have valuable relevant info on renewing an expired 5 year Thai driving license?

I am here at the mo on a 30 day Visa On Arrival. I have been told by one of our Visa people in Pattaya that (he's 99% sure) you only need a Non Imm Visa to apply for your first, initial Thai driving license, but that I should be able to re-new mine on my VOA.

Anyone else done this? Anyone have info? I guess I need a letter of proof of residency from the Old Bill, a Medical Cert and photos.......... anyone else out there renewed a Thai DL on a VOA?

No time wasters please. Cheers.

From what I've been told, 5 year licenses are only issued to people with Non-O, Non-B, Work or retirement Visas, this is a relevantly new law as of this year, on a VOA they'll only renew to another one year. I'd love you to prove me wrong though Spicy as mine is due. And yes, you will still need the usual paperwork, medical, residency, etc etc. (don't forget *2 if you want car and bike)

Hi,

Some good info on this website.

www.pattayaexpatsclub.info

But nothing about Thai 5 year driving license renewal... :unsure:

From what I've been told, 5 year licenses are only issued to people with Non-O, Non-B, Work or retirement Visas, this is a relevantly new law as of this year, on a VOA they'll only renew to another one year. I'd love you to prove me wrong though Spicy as mine is due. And yes, you will still need the usual paperwork, medical, residency, etc etc. (don't forget *2 if you want car and bike)

Yes you are right : You do need a Non-Immigrant visa to get a 5 year Thai license.

You will only get temporary 1 year license if you have tourist visa or visa exemption.

I suppose the paperwork must be the same as when you first get your 5 year license,

but I think you will have this time to make tests on computer;

International Permit is useful to avoid them only the fist time...

Thanks for posting that link I'm going to go and get a Thai licence as my International licence doesn't include Motorbike as I've not passed a UK CBT test.

The Old Bill are always at the bottom of Soi Khaotalo lately checking Licences and making sure you wear helmets. And it's a 200 Baht fine for not having a licence with you.

Plus you need to bear in mind if your driving without a valid licence your Insurance is Null and Void. I am ok in my Car as I have a Full British licence and an International Driving Permit but sadly not when I ride our bike.

My IDP runs out in November and I'm not planning on going to the UK before June next year so I will have 7 months driving uninsured if i don't get a Thai licence.

Plus it will be so cool to get an IDP in BKK to drive on my Thai licence in the UK and not have points for speeding because of those pesky cameras everywhere.

Englishinsiam, You need to be in posession of a 5yr Thai licence to be able to obtain a Thai IDP, the 1yr licence is classed as a tempory one and as such they will not issue and IDP on it.

Plus it will be so cool to get an IDP in BKK to drive on my Thai licence in the UK and not have points for speeding because of those pesky cameras everywhere.

You don't need an IDP, your Thai licence will do fine on its own.

From the DirectGov website ...

Edited by CheshireTom

Nice one Tom

That'll confuse Plod in Blighty an Englishman driving under a Thai Licence.

Plus Fondles - I wont be going to UK until June next year so I'll be in posessions of a THai 5 year licence anyway.

That'll confuse Plod in Blighty an Englishman driving under a Thai Licence.

Possible. I don't know the mentality of your police. I've been using a Thai licence in many countries for many years without a problem. In the US they just ask me what the hell all the squiggly stuff means, and accept my translation of the non-English bits, not confusing to them at all.

To the OP: Just go along to your designated licence office, take your passport, and you should be fine. You *MAY* need the dreaded embassy letter or immigration letter, but just go along without it, and find out. You're suffering the common delusion that there is one infallible rule for the entire country.

Edited by joekicker
Thanks for posting that link I'm going to go and get a Thai licence as my International licence doesn't include Motorbike as I've not passed a UK CBT test.

The Old Bill are always at the bottom of Soi Khaotalo lately checking Licences and making sure you wear helmets. And it's a 200 Baht fine for not having a licence with you.

Plus you need to bear in mind if your driving without a valid licence your Insurance is Null and Void. I am ok in my Car as I have a Full British licence and an International Driving Permit but sadly not when I ride our bike.

My IDP runs out in November and I'm not planning on going to the UK before June next year so I will have 7 months driving uninsured if i don't get a Thai licence.

Your International Driver's permit is no longer valid in Thailand after having stayed here for longer than 3 months on a retirement extension or work visa. If you fall into this category, get a Thai licence as soon as possible. :rolleyes:

You can only use your IDP until it expires, together with your UK licence, if you have a 12 months multiple Non-Immi O visa and do border runs every 90 days. :allright

Just one addition to the above. Do not try to renew a 1 or a 5 year license before the date the old one expires. If you do then you will likely only get a new 1 year license only. Crazy but true and they expect you to go to the license centre with one that has already expired.

Just one addition to the above. Do not try to renew a 1 or a 5 year license before the date the old one expires. If you do then you will likely only get a new 1 year license only. Crazy but true and they expect you to go to the license centre with one that has already expired.

At my local LTD that's certainly the case for 1 year to 5 year applications where the applicant must have held a valid license for at least 1 year. But it's not the case for 5 year licenses which run for 5 years from the date of your next birthday.

What does become an issue is if you have renewed your passport during the lifetime of your driving licence. You need to take your old passport along.

At my local LTD that's certainly the case for 1 year to 5 year applications where the applicant must have held a valid license for at least 1 year. But it's not the case for 5 year licenses which run for 5 years from the date of your next birthday.

What does become an issue is if you have renewed your passport during the lifetime of your driving licence. You do need to take your old passport along.

I never gave the passport issue any thought. That is good information. As for renewing a 5-year licence to a new 5-year licence, do you mean you have to apply a couple of days before the old licence expires on your birthday and not after? What happens when you apply a few days after a 5-year licence has expired?

Your International Driver's permit is no longer valid in Thailand after having stayed here for longer than 3 months on a retirement extension or work visa. If you fall into this category, get a Thai licence as soon as possible. :clap1

You can only use your IDP until it expires, together with your UK licence, if you have a 12 months multiple Non-Immi O visa and do border runs every 90 days. 1luv

I have a non Imm O visa anyway so I am ok also the 90 day rule wont apply as I have to leave Thailand every 90 days anyway.

I never gave the passport issue any thought. That is good information. As for renewing a 5-year licence to a new 5-year licence, do you mean you have to apply a couple of days before the old licence expires on your birthday and not after? What happens when you apply a few days after a 5-year licence has expired?

Your licence is located on the system according to your passport or ID card number - hence the advice to take along your old passport.

Some guys have reported only getting a 1 year license if the 5 year license has expired, others not. I think its one of those situations where the interpretation depends on the LTD, member of staff, day of the week etc.

I'm not sure if subsequent 5 year licenses run from the expiry date of your previous license, or for 5 years from the date of your next birthday. I would imagine the former but wouldn't swear on it. Pretty much the same as your vehicle registration book.

Edited by CheshireTom
Your licence is located on the system according to your passport or ID card number - hence the advice to take along your old passport.

Some guys have reported only getting a 1 year license if the 5 year license has expired, others not. I think its one of those situations where the interpretation depends on the LTD, member of staff, day of the week etc.

I'm not sure if subsequent 5 year licenses run from the expiry date of your previous license, or for 5 years from the date of your next birthday. I would imagine the former but wouldn't swear on it. Pretty much the same as your vehicle registration book.

Thanks anyway. I will worry about my next five-year licence, when it has to be renewed in 2015. They will probably have a totally different system by then, an even more confusing one. :allright

Possible. I don't know the mentality of your police. I've been using a Thai licence in many countries for many years without a problem. In the US they just ask me what the hell all the squiggly stuff means, and accept my translation of the non-English bits, not confusing to them at all.

To the OP: Just go along to your designated licence office, take your passport, and you should be fine. You *MAY* need the dreaded embassy letter or immigration letter, but just go along without it, and find out. You're suffering the common delusion that there is one infallible rule for the entire country.

Different horses, different courses...

I had a USA patrol man completely baffled by my non-USA licence.... and it was the UK one completely written in English.

I had a USA patrol man completely baffled by my non-USA licence.... and it was the UK one completely written in English.

How "baffled" then? You mean he couldn't figure out if you were permitted to drive on it? I can certainly imagine that - just never happened to me.

At the driver's licence place, I said to the woman "I have a Thai licence, I live in Thailand" and she took it four steps to her supervisor, and said to her, "We have a gentleman here from Taiwan". TWICE wrong, I told her ungentlemanly.

How "baffled" then? You mean he couldn't figure out if you were permitted to drive on it? I can certainly imagine that - just never happened to me.

At the driver's licence place, I said to the woman "I have a Thai licence, I live in Thailand" and she took it four steps to her supervisor, and said to her, "We have a gentleman here from Taiwan". TWICE wrong, I told her ungentlemanly.

Actually, after looking at it for a while, yes.

But I had to help him...'it's a UK driving licence' I had to tell him.

'I have an international driving permit too, would you like to see that?'... but he declined, obviously too much in one day for a traffic cop in Missouri.

Sober Englishmen was not what he was out to find that evening.

But don't try to sound surprised Joe, I have found many in the USA would fail to be presumed worldly.

Edited by jacko
But don't try to sound surprised Joe, I have found many in the USA would fail to be presumed worldly.

I'm not surprised but I haven't a clue what you mean. The police are supposed to be trained to do their jobs. It has nothing to do with being worldly. In an average month, the average US traffic policeman of Middle America is likely to see 30, 40 difference drivers' licences from three, four countries. It's what they DO. It's about as "worldly" as driving a Toyota car. What do you figure, the US gets 12, maybe 15 foreigners a year tops zipping around in actual four-wheeled automobiles, two of whom are actually stopped and stared at slack-mouthed? You don't have to be worldly to be trained in drivers' licences.

Whats the Doctors address in Soi Bukhaow?

Cheers guys

Is ok I see on another thread any dr will provide it.

Edited by englishinsiam
they expect you to go to the license centre with one that has already expired.

not entirely true, as I renewed last year on a license that had 3 weeks to go before expiring

The rule is apparently that it needs to be within one month of expiring

but then again they seem to interpret the rules differently depending on which branch you go to.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not surprised but I haven't a clue what you mean. The police are supposed to be trained to do their jobs. It has nothing to do with being worldly. In an average month, the average US traffic policeman of Middle America is likely to see 30, 40 difference drivers' licences from three, four countries. It's what they DO. It's about as "worldly" as driving a Toyota car. What do you figure, the US gets 12, maybe 15 foreigners a year tops zipping around in actual four-wheeled automobiles, two of whom are actually stopped and stared at slack-mouthed? You don't have to be worldly to be trained in drivers' licences.

Yes, glad you agree, but I wasn't specifically meaning policemen there. But since they are drawn from the general populace the statement must apply to them too. Most European policemen are aware that there are 'other' countries, USA ones have hardly grasped the concept of other states! Edited by jacko