Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Greatest Show on Earth

World Cup - Who will win ?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The World Cup, football, the sport of the people, is about to start in South Africa. Having picked the winners Italy last time and opposing the first 4 in the betting I can’t expect to be as successful this time but I’ll give my opinions anyway.

England are the only team from these islands to qualify. Their biggest asset is Fabio Capello who has a great record as a manager/coach and may be able to get the best out of a team of talented individuals. I think they rely too much on Rooney up front and they have a tough first game against a USA team, coached by Bob Bradley, who are a physical, well organised team with a strong work rate.

Brazil under Dunga are more Bolton than the talented Brazilian teams of the past. Very good at set pieces and on breakaways they will be hard to beat.

Argentina have left some great players, like Zanetti and Cambiasso, out of the squad. Maradona has the best players in the World at his disposal, but whether he will get them to function as a team is open to question. Still with players like Messi, Mascherano, Higuain and Aguero in the squad they should go close.

Holland are the unluckiest team never to have won a World Cup. Always one of the best team to watch they seem a good outside bet with Robben and Van Persie in attack. They should feel at home in Dutch speaking South Africa.

Serbian players formed the backbone of Yugoslavian teams in the past. Serbian players are usually very good technically and I hope they have a good tournament.

Germany are always strong contenders but having failed to win the European Championship on home soil I will be opposing them.

Portugal have Ronaldo and lots of Brazilian blood in their veins so are more Brazilian than the Brazilians themselves in terms of attractive football. They have cost me money in the past and none of my hard earned will be on them in this tournament.

Slovenia have achieved heroic status by beating the might of Russia in the play offs and must have a good team spirit. I don’t expect them to get much from the referees in the last game of the group stages if England need a result! Slovakia are similar to Slovenia, small team with no household names but a good team spirit. I hope one of the two do well.

France struggled to beat a spirited but limited Irish team in the play offs and although I’ve backed them in the past not this time. The same goes for Italy who are a great tournament team.

Of the African teams Cameroon and Ivory Coast look the strongest. Droga and Eto’o are among the best forwards in the World. I hope one of them goes far as South Africa looked very poor in last years Confederation Cup.

On form Chile seem the best of the second tier South American teams but they generally disappoint in the finals. It will be interesting to see how the two Koreas get on. South Korea got some very questionable decisions when they played on home soil and the refs may not be as generous in Africa.

Australia were beaten by the eventual winners Italy last World Cup and it remains to be seen if they can play as well again. New Zealand make the finals for the first time in nearly 30 years so good luck to them

Spain have played the best football over the last few years having great technical skills and players from Real Madrid and Barcelona who are used to playing in high pressure games and winning them. Cesc Fabregas would walk into any other team in the World Cup. Casillas is a great goalkeeper and they have Puyol in defence and Xavi and Iniesta and Alonso in midfield plus Torres and Villa upfront.

I had a little bet on Argentina at 10/1 in December and they are now 7/1 so other people think they have a chance as well. However, having backed Spain in the European Championship I have to stick with them. Serbia may be dark horses. I hope it’s a great World Cup and everyone enjoys the spectacle and wins a few baht if you have a bet.

Edited by wacmedia
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give my opinion when I get some time. Enjoy the Greatest Show on Earth and I hope you win a few baht.

I don't understand the last part. How do people "win a few baht" on the World Cup? You're not suggesting people bet on international soccer, surely?

I've gone for Holland. Easy qualifiers and I would fancy their chances against any of the other teams. Whether they have the strength in depth to cope with the schedule is a bit of a concern though. :beer

It's a bit unfair, for those of us whose country is playing, to expect us to vote against them.

So Tom, Doncha, Obsession.... Who do you fancy ?

For me it's either Spain, Brazil or Argentina, i'd love to think England have a chance but lets face it, it aint gonna happen, alot of people think we will walk past USA but they are no mugs, i was watching them in that cup last year whatever it's called and they played very well, I think we may draw against them then beat algeria and the other team, i think is slovenia not sure though. If we win the grp we will prob get to play Ghana in the next round which we should win but again not easy, if we come second in our grp we will prob play Germany so if that happens we will be going home at the second round, if we do progress past the 2nd round we'll be going home at the quarters.

England just aren't consistent enough, we can play very very well but that happens far too rarely. When we come up against a quality side such as Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Portugal, Holland, u just know what's gonna happen.

Out of the 3 i have mentioned as possible winners i'd like to see Spain win as they have never won it. If England did win it I can't imagine the piss up that night, would be fucking awesome but we'll be waiting at least another 8 years in my opinion when we may host it in 2018 when hopefully we'll have some players with a fucking backbone, don't worry about their haircuts, and don't shag eachothers wives.

I go for England all the way

Can't see me Voting for anyone else.

However if England get knocked out I'll be rooting for Spain seeing as I lived in Spain for 7 years before coming to LOS

Hi,

I will give my opinion when I get some time.

Oh yeah!!! Like ........nearer the final :banghead

Spain.

Nid. Apart from the obvious..................germany. ( I joke :D ). Who do you think?

I think it's racist that Pakistan won't win it!!!!!!! :D

Spain.

Nid. Apart from the obvious..................germany. ( I joke :D ). Who do you think?

I think it's racist that Pakistan won't win it!!!!!!! ;)

This will be a funny old World cup methinks.

I watched 'Top 50 World Cup Horrors' last night and it became obvious, that cheating to get a player sent off, is on the rise. The standard of refereeing will make a big impact on things.

I, of course want us to win. If not, the Italians are pretty consistent in the big stuff. They used to limit the amount of foreign players in their league. Not sure if that still applies, but it helped them in the past.

I watched 'Top 50 World Cup Horrors' last night and it became obvious, that cheating to get a player sent off, is on the rise. The standard of refereeing will make a big impact on things.

I agree. The World Cup has been won on the back of some dodgy refereeing decisions in the past .... :D

"But the bizarre sequence of incidents that has characterised England-Argentina matches only began in 1966, at the World Cup quarter-final at Wembley. Shortly before half-time, after endless fouls by Argentina, their captain Antonio Rattin and the German referee Kreitlein got into an argument though neither spoke each other's language. Kreitlein famously sent off Rattin "for the look on his face".

So many good teams.

The people's favourites Argentina have got the mercurial Messi and the demigod Maradona in charge.

Spain look strong in every department but have always failed to reach their potential.

England have got Rooney but can he win it on his own?

The USA are the darkhorses.

You can never rule out Brazil.

I will be supporting Germany .. They have given Ireland so much support over the years.

I hope France do well.

I think Holland will win.

Spain look strong in every department but have always failed to reach their potential.

They're the current European Champions and won all their games in achieving it. :rolleyes:

I think Holland will win.

That's more like it. :beer However, they blew it in 2008 after taking the French and Italians apart in the group stages.

Edited by CheshireTom
England for me .

But they took Heskey as a striker!!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously. Do some guys think that England can win? I hope they do. The country needs a boost. But even the pundits on Talk Sport are saying it doesn't look like a winning squad. It's the first time I've heard that said about an England squad.

There has been one thing that has been bothering me, wac:

Enjoy the Greatest Show on Earth

Do they not have actual turf on the playing fields in South Africa? Why are they to play on dirt fields?

The standard of refereeing will make a big impact on things.

Hi,

Remember South Korea v Italy in the Korean/Japan World Cup. BTW Howard Webb made few mistakes in the Champions League final. Maybe because Man Utd weren't playing?

Oh yeah!!! Like ........nearer the final 1luv

Hi,

Remember I gave Italy last time.(12/1) :beer I don't feel as inspired this time and can't see past the obvious ones at the moment.

I hope France do well.

I'm bloody impressed with that comment after what they did to you to qualify. My brother in law (from Clonmel) is still trying to work out how much 'enriched' fertiliser it would take to bring down the Eiffel Tower!

The outcry for the worst WC ball in history is in full swing.Happens every WC but I believe this one may be the winner.

Please don't bring that crap about everyone has to play with it.Yes they do but that's not germane to the conversation..Why have to change the way you play because the ball is awful/inferior.It's name is Jobulani Balls-enough said.But it's Africa after all.

Congrats to those who narrowed their pics down to 3-LOL!

Brazil.

Edited by LTGTR
I agree. The World Cup has been won on the back of some dodgy refereeing decisions in the past .... :wub:

"But the bizarre sequence of incidents that has characterised England-Argentina matches only began in 1966, at the World Cup quarter-final at Wembley. Shortly before half-time, after endless fouls by Argentina, their captain Antonio Rattin and the German referee Kreitlein got into an argument though neither spoke each other's language. Kreitlein famously sent off Rattin "for the look on his face".

That was the game I watched in the Mess in Dusseldorf. The picture in the papers next day of Rattin pointing at the little ref' with a " Is he serious ?" look was priceless. Funny enough, it was a Welsh Seargent, who was the most vocal about disqualifying the whole team, when they all walked off in protest. :D

It's name is Jobulani Balls-enough said.

Yeah, I used to get that, back in high school.

Last Cup's balls were made in Thailand, weirdly enough.

Hi,

Remember I gave Italy last time.(12/1) :rolleyes: I don't feel as inspired this time and can't see past the obvious ones at the moment.

:rolleyes:

Cmon. You have to name an initial team. "Stop dithering man" :D

Due to your Man U para , earlier in the thread...What did you think of the red devils season????

Kreitlein famously sent off Rattin "for the look on his face".[/i]

Looks good on him. They should have done the same thing to Maradona just for being a cunt.

Yeah, I used to get that, back in high school.

Last Cup's balls were made in Thailand, weirdly enough.

Just up the road, in Chonburi.

Well, its not going to be England. You have to have more than one striker (Heskey? Crouch? ROTFLMAO).

And you have to do more than kick it in the air downfield and hope Gooney can outrun somebody.

In the end, victory must go through Brazil.

Just up the road, in Chonburi.

Well, its not going to be England. You have to have more than one striker (Heskey? Crouch? ROTFLMAO).

And you have to do more than kick it in the air downfield and hope Gooney can outrun somebody.

In the end, victory must go through Brazil.

Makes me laugh how people slag Peter Crouch off, the guy repeatedly scores for England, I think it was 21 goals at the last count with nowhere near as many appearances as some and he still gets slagged off. Heskey I agree with you but someone pointed out to me tonight that we will be playing very physical teams that we may need big strong players against. I do still kind of agree with you on that 1 though, heskey should have stopped playing for England a while ago. Put it this way, even if Michael Owen isn't what he used to be i'd still much prefer him than Heskey.