Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ten shocking World Cup moments

10. Bobby Moore, 1970

Four years earlier, Moore had captained England to their first -- and so far only -- World Cup triumph. Although not tournament favorites, Alf Ramsey's side were still expected to be one of the front-runners in Mexico.

However, their preparations blew up in their faces when Moore was arrested for allegedly stealing a bracelet from a hotel in Bogota, Colombia, where England were playing a warm-up match.

Despite the claims, Moore was allowed to travel with the squad. But, upon returning to Colombian soil on the way to Mexico, he was subsequently placed under house arrest for four days.

Eventually, with no evidence against him, the defender was released, but not before the incident had caused a massive diplomatic row.

Link to remainder:with pics

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/05/...Most+Popular%29

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just torrent-downloading a video of apparently 50 shocking moments of English football. The description says that Peter Crouch is one of the presenters and I thought, How phuocking apt can you get?

I'm just torrent-downloading a video of apparently 50 shocking moments of English football. The description says that Peter Crouch is one of the presenters and I thought, How phuocking apt can you get?

Joe I think you will find that is the World cup- not English football. You will see some real cheating to get a player sent off. That is the one i watched Tuesday.

As for cheating, the English can do it, but we are amateurs, by others standards. :D

What about the time the Italians got on the wrong team bus, and their high-diving squad turned up for a football match.? :D

Still bitter.

Joe I think you will find that is the World cup- not English football. You will see some real cheating to get a player sent off. That is the one i watched Tuesday.

As for cheating, the English can do it, but we are amateurs, by others standards. :D

True, which is why (I understand) Thai gamblers only punt on English football, never the Spanish, French or (especially) Italian leagues.

Still it's a wonder nothing is done. Only three officials for a pitch 130 yards long, and no video replays?

I like Crouch........... He was asked what he'd be if not for football. He answered........'Still a virgin'

Exactly right. I actually sat through the first 21 minutes of it, up to the beautiful penalty balloon of Mrs Waddell's son - and may eventually watch it all. I can only takes bits of that sort of programme with the smarmy comedians and all, do we REALLY need them in every single segment of a 50-part sports show?

As for cheating, the English can do it, but we are amateurs, by others standards.

I think you're being WAY too hard on English footballers.

What about the time the Italians got on the wrong team bus, and their high-diving squad turned up for a football match.? :D

Still bitter.

About the Italians?

Me to! The sneaky little bastards are past masters at cheating.

We get a bit of it in Oz, but not much. It's kind of frowned upon here.

Probably the worst you can expect from our boys is the odd nasty hack. while I certainly don't condone that sort of behaviour, if we happen to get out of the group stage and get to play them, I would condone it...just once :D

Give the mongrels a real reason to fall over. Make them do this:unsure:

It was 40 years ago and your point is ??? :rolleyes:

Are you fecking dense?The title of the thread is,"Ten shocking World Cup moments, Starts with,"it blew up in their (UK) faces".

What don't you understand?

Are you fecking dense?The title of the thread is,"Ten shocking World Cup moments, Starts with,"it blew up in their (UK) faces".

What don't you understand?

I was wondering why you would chose the one about an England player- a legend to those who remember him, to headline.

It seemed like another swipe at English Football.

If it was just coincidence, then O.K

About the Italians?

Me to! The sneaky little bastards are past masters at cheating.

We get a bit of it in Oz, but not much. It's kind of frowned upon here.

Probably the worst you can expect from our boys is the odd nasty hack. while I certainly don't condone that sort of behaviour, if we happen to get out of the group stage and get to play them, I would condone it...just once :banghead

Give the mongrels a real reason to fall over. Make them do this:unsure:

I didn't see the game, but apparently some of the lads forgot the game against NZ was a 'friendly.' :unsure:

I was wondering why you would chose the one about an England player- a legend to those who remember him, to headline.

It seemed like another swipe at English Football.

If it was just coincidence, then O.K

nid,it was actually #10 on the list.Possibly aimed at Brit audience........?

nid,it was actually #10 on the list.Possibly aimed at Brit audience........?

And therefore FIRST on the list as presented, I presume? i.e. a countdown?

Yessir.

But I used it to poke Brits......

You have UK in your Topic Title, and you talk about Brits and wanting to poke them :gulp

Just to let you know Bobby Moore was English , so the chances of you winding up the Welsh and Scots are Zero, and it wasn't a shocking World Cup moment , it was a fit up. :banana :gulp

You have UK in your Topic Title, and you talk about Brits and wanting to poke them poke

Just to let you know Bobby Moore was English , so the chances of you winding up the Welsh and Scots are Zero, and it wasn't a shocking World Cup moment , it was a fit up. allright wanker

Why is it every time you even mention the word Britain or UK and the Brits get all defensive and pixxed off and worked up about it?

Why yes, thank you for noticing, yes it IS irony.

Why is it every time you even mention the word Britain or UK and the Brits get all defensive and pixxed off and worked up about it?

My guess is they're related to the Americans. Somehow. Someway. :banana

Why yes, thank you for noticing, yes it IS irony.

Probably for the same reason a Kiwi gets pissed for called them Aussie, or a Canadian a yank. Not just a British thing.

Or , looked at differently...How hard can it be to comprehend that not all Brits are English? :nod

How hard can it be to comprehend that not all Brits are English? rolleyes

I don't know. Those guys at the UN and at the International Olympic Committee and at the Thai foreign ministry, PLUS Hillary Clinton, get tonnes of money for being super-smart, and they don't get it, they all think it's one country. So why get pixxed in a foreign Internet forum in a discussion that really has nothing to do with it in the first place when some dingbat sort of skims over it?

Probably for the same reason a Kiwi gets pissed for called them Aussie, or a Canadian a yank. Not just a British thing.

Or , looked at differently...How hard can it be to comprehend that not all Brits are English? :rolleyes:

Why would a Canuck get mad at being called a Yank?

I don't know. Those guys at the UN and at the International Olympic Committee and at the Thai foreign ministry, PLUS Hillary Clinton, get tonnes of money for being super-smart, and they don't get it, they all think it's one country. So why get pixxed in a foreign Internet forum in a discussion that really has nothing to do with it in the first place when some dingbat sort of skims over it?

We just do O.k ?

Britain is unique in the world, in that it is a tiny island made up of four different nationalities, with a common language.

We don't like being lumped together, for convenience of those too lazy to differentiate between us. If you speak about our opinion in world afairs, it is easier to use the term Great Britain or British. But not as individuals.

In modern terms the label of British, covers anyone who holds a British passport. They are British on paper, we are the Real Macoy. :rolleyes: Few of us consider ourselves British anymore, we leave that label to the newcomers.

So, the only way we can feel unique now, is to consider ourselves English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

This is probably why in recent years, devolution has come to the fore. :unsure:

Britain is unique in the world, in that it is a tiny island made up of four different nationalities, with a common language.

Unique means "one" and only one. I instantly thought of Singapore. Wouldn't surprise me if there are others but I'm lazy. You're not unique. Singapore's four nationalities with a common language revel in being ONE country, and you don't, so THAT part is unique. Maybe.

I'll not rub it in that your "four different nationalities" live on TWO islands, not just one tiny one. I won't rub it in a lot anyhow. (But I will hold it in reserve, just in case.)

Or do you mean England, Wales, Scotland and Manchester United?

But really. What's up with that Olympics thing, one team for four countries, isn't that unfair to the rest of the world? Even Korea has two teams.

I don't . I'm just pointing out that Brits aren't the only people who sometimes get vexed. Listing more people who get it wrong, means nothing.

If you don't want corrected when getting anything wrong, just say.It's no problem. Some people like to be educated. Some like to keep gettingstuff wrong. Up to you.