Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I'm running a free version of AVG 9.0 and when I try to update and it tries to install, it comes back the operation failed. Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

The program may need to be stopped before you can proceed and you may need to close other background applications.

If a full install and not an upgrade, you may need to delete the first program.

Check the webpage of the software for instructions and faq

I have used AVG for years but the update to version 9 caused me so much trouble that I have changed to Avira. I look after 3 Desktops 2 running XP the other Vista, 1 notebook running vista and 2 netbooks 1 XP and 1 Windows 7.

All computers except my own personal XP desktop (No games - Coincidence?) had problems.

Every vista computer would not even boot up and required a system restore to get them running again.

The windows 7 netbook became unreliable and a system restore didn't help luckily it was nearly new with little software and a full OS re-install solved the problem without having to install too much software.

The remaining 2 XP PCs became really slow and crashed a lot: uninstalling AVG worked on the desktop but the Dell laptop (No Hard disk or CD rom) required a full OS installation using a borrowed USB DVD ROM drive.

I have since changed all machines to AVira and with the exception of the Vista notebook all are running well now. The aforementioned notebook is terribly slow and awaits a full OS re-install when I get back home.

stevoh.

I have used AVG for years but the update to version 9 caused me so much trouble that I have changed to Avira.

Avira I tried, then it expires, fuck that

I also used AVG for a very long time & just now switched to PC Tools AV because it was able to kill some of the silly malware that AVG was not able to, & I was also having the update troubles with AVG.

www.geckoandfly.com does ninety day free trials for half a dozen different anti viruses .there is a way to wangle free lifetime AVG by keep changing the code until it accepts one.

Edited by samfreeland

why Avira ?

you do know it will cease to function after it's trial period, right ?

why Avira ?

you do know it will cease to function after it's trial period, right ?

There is NO trial period, FREE download.

I've been using Avira since July 2009.

Not sure what happened to me then, because after I'd been using the free version for a while it just ceased to work & aid I needed to buy a license

I also discarded AVG and installed Avira.

For those who want to try it, here's the download link:

Avira anti virus

i had to uninstall previous version (AVG) before new one would install, but now new version says it's only free for 90days.

Edited by rb

You guys that are getting notices to buy AVG and Avira have the wrong versions. Somehow you have installed the pay versions. Both of these programs have totally free versions.

To the OP, if you must have AVG, uninstall it and download the newest version and install again.

You guys that are getting notices to buy AVG and Avira have the wrong versions. Somehow you have installed the pay versions. Both of these programs have totally free versions.

To the OP, if you must have AVG, uninstall it and download the newest version and install again.

Joe, I did that already, if you look above here, and it was the free version.

Joe, I did that already, if you look above here, and it was the free version.

Ok but that's not what you wrote. You said you were trying to update only. Sometimes AVG does a complete overhaul and you have to take out everything and start all over, which is what I meant, and didn't realise you had already done that.

In that case, if you want help installing, you'll have to be way more specific about what happens. Personally, I think AVG is way over-bloated and not worth it any more but that's me.

I'm running a free version of AVG 9.0 and when I try to update and it tries to install, it comes back the operation failed. Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Freeware-drop AVG and get Micresoft Security Essentials.

Or get Eset Nod 32 on sale for peanuts.

Freeware-drop AVG and get Micresoft Security Essentials.

My Number One Top recommendation without an er or an um. It's a terrific, leave-it-alone and get-to-work program. AND free.

LTGTR, do any of those you suggest slow the pc very much?

MSE does a full scan once in a while on a schedule you set. I leave my PC on 24 hours, and do the scan when I'm not around. You MIGHT notice when the scan is under way, you might not, it's not very intrusive. Otherwise, you'll forget it unless it pops up a warning that you've caught a nasty.

Edited by joekicker

I have used a number of free and purchased Anti-virus programs. The only one that ever let me down and allowed my computer to become infected was AVG. It was the free version so I didn't complain too much.

I now use Microsoft Security Essentials and the free Microsoft firewall. No problems at all so far and I don't even know it is there until it does its regular scan. I also use Advanced System Care Pro but when it expires, I doubt I will renew. The free Spyware Doctor seems to do fine.

PC Tools A/V is doing me fine now

it kills those pesky autorun worm viruses that AVG wasn't

Thanks guys.... I ignored the AVG 'UPGRADE' prompt (from 8.5 to 9.0) when it popped up on my XP machine.....

I went to the AVG site and they recommend saving the latest Free installation file (do not open directly from the internet)

Reboot the computer after the download.

Launch the previously saved file.

Anybody know if this gets around the problems without uninstalling the previous AVG version?

# Please download the latest AVG Free installation file from our website

# When you are prompted, please do not open this file directly from the Internet, but click the "Save" button and browse to the location where you want the installation file to be stored. We recommend saving the file to the Desktop.

# Reboot your computer.

# Locate the downloaded AVG installation file (it has a four color square icon and its name starts with AVG_...) and launch the installation by double-clicking on it.

# Follow the installation wizard.

# If AVG asks you for a computer restart at the end of the installation, please do so.

Edited by jacko

I used to use AVG then I heard they were limiting their support and updates further for thier free version about 2 years ago.

Since then I have used Avast and have never had a problem it runs quietly in the background doing it's little job. Avira uses way too many recourses for my liking. An Anti virus should have as small a footprint as possible.

But here is a message to all of you.... Never under any Circumstances use any Symantec products. They use more system recourses than any other security programs I have come across.

jacko, I don't think anyone can tell you what "will happen" on your specific PC. Most people using AVG have no problem whatsoever. Some just go bonkers.

I used to use AVG then I heard they were limiting their support and updates further for thier free version about 2 years ago.

I see this frequently. But it's untrue. AVG isn't for everyone by any means, including me, but it hasn't stopped any support or issuing the freeware.

But here is a message to all of you.... Never under any Circumstances use any Symantec products. They use more system recourses than any other security programs I have come across.

Yes. Also products labelled Norton, to be clear. There are other questionable programs, but Norton and Symantec security software is a total, complete mess and should NEVER be used by individuals, ever, under any circs.