Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The police are going around bars on our soi saying if we show football we will have to pay a 100,000 baht fine.

Can other bar owners please confirm if this is true.

I called the tourist police and was told no problem but he did not sound too sure!

Chris

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surely this has something to do with the idea that you're supposed to pay 10k per TV that you're going to show the matches on

what a load of bullshit

Yep Chris you're required to have a license for each telly with one license costing 10 K baht. Fines can run up to 800 K so better decide quickly

License for a TV,only in a Third Would country.

I don't know about you but I don't come to Pattaya to watch football.

Everything stops for football?...not in Pattaya it don't

It does. After the one hour and 45 minutes we can get back to shagging BGs and LBs

You must pay 10,000 baht for per TV that you have showing the world cup. This fee gets paid to the RS company and apparently only their company officers can enforce this rule. Police have no role in enforcing this payment.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/06...p-extravaganza/

Yes, but if, as the OP says, the police are coming around and warning people, then they smell money and will be enforcing it, perhaps illegitimately, or for a monetary consideration, they might ignore any infractions.

By the way, Chris, we were offered a license from our Chang salesman, if we would buy some largish quantity of Chang. The guy said we'd have the rights to show the games because Chang had bought the right from RS to give out licenses to watch.

Not being a bar where Chang sells well, I told him "Thanks, but no thanks."

Frankly, I was offended by the obvious opportunistic thievery going on with the fines and such.

The way I look at it is, I have a UBC subscription, and I can damned well show what I want on the TV as long as I pay for my subscription.

I will certainly not pay for the right to allow me to turn my TV onto a channel I already get.

If they want to make it Pay Per View, then make it PPV and let me deal with the broadcasting entity.

Long and short...if they start enforcing it and fining, I just won't show World Cup. Up to them. They will also miss out on the commercial eyeballs they have been selling as part of their revenue.

The way I look at it is, I have a UBC subscription, and I can damned well show what I want on the TV as long as I pay for my subscription.

I will certainly not pay for the right to allow me to turn my TV onto a channel I already get.

If they want to make it Pay Per View, then make it PPV and let me deal with the broadcasting entity.

Long and short...if they start enforcing it and fining, I just won't show World Cup. Up to them. They will also miss out on the commercial eyeballs they have been selling as part of their revenue.

Do you have a private or commercial subscription?

Do you have a private or commercial subscription?

And now we begin the relevant part of the thread.

Fact is that it's this way worldwide. Bars in other countries have to pay to turn on their TVs. Generally it is build into the subscription model that they purchase. But you can't (legally) turn on your private-subscription TV for eyeballs outside your household. Martin, it has been that way for decades in California.

If there is a way to fuk things up the Thais will find it . They basically have annonced to the world DON"T COME HERE TO WATCH THE WORLD CUP. In their search for ever increasing rip offs they drive the visitor away . To pay 10k how many beers would a average bar have to sell just to pay that ?

ChaCha, nobody is ripping anyone off, well except the barowners ofcourse as for years they have been illegally displaying content that needs to be licenced for public broadcasting..... now that its being "enforced" all the GBO's are crying into theirs beers.............. Paying licencing fee's comes part and parcel of owning a bar, if your not prepared to pay them either get out of the business or expect to be fined.

ChaCha, nobody is ripping anyone off, well except the barowners ofcourse as for years they have been illegally displaying content that needs to be licenced for public broadcasting..... now that its being "enforced" all the GBO's are crying into theirs beers.............. Paying licencing fee's comes part and parcel of owning a bar, if your not prepared to pay them either get out of the business or expect to be fined.

the thing is that the more they pile on bar owners the more the customer pays . It just seems to me that laws like this are just stupid in a third world shit hole. Forcing bars to inflate their prices with the yearly rise in tax on beer & all the other crap they bring in . Yes I know that alot of GBO's already charge over inflated prices but they will just bang the price up with abit more on top .

In the UK Government may put beer up by 2p at a cost to the customer of 2p here it seems that if the government put beer up by 1bt =2p then the bars put it up by 5bt =10p or 10bt = 20p.

You would think that they (powers that be) would be trying to stablize prices or even try to reduce prices to help to try to save their tourist industry.

I bow to the superior knowledge and judgment of those who know how things work in England and California. And, henceforth, FLB will operate under the laws of the State of California or the UK laws, whichever are more restrictive.

the thing is that the more they pile on bar owners the more the customer pays . It just seems to me that laws like this are just stupid in a third world shit hole. Forcing bars to inflate their prices with the yearly rise in tax on beer & all the other crap they bring in . Yes I know that alot of GBO's already charge over inflated prices but they will just bang the price up with abit more on top .

In the UK Government may put beer up by 2p at a cost to the customer of 2p here it seems that if the government put beer up by 1bt =2p then the bars put it up by 5bt =10p or 10bt = 20p.

You would think that they (powers that be) would be trying to stablize prices or even try to reduce prices to help to try to save their tourist industry.

Nobody is piling anything onto the GBO's, The licensing of the world cup has little to do with Thailand or any other shitty 3rd world country, The GBO's have to choice to pay the licensing fee's or not ....... no one is holding a gun to their heads, if the silly fucks choose to pay the fee's and raise their prices excessively to cover them no one will sit there and drink anyways !!!

This is not a 3rd world country anymore.New laws,enforced laws are harder to avoid so pay up if you have too,no hiding places now unfortunatley.