Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I bow to the superior knowledge and judgment of those who know how things work in England and California. And, henceforth, FLB will operate under the laws of the State of California or the UK laws, whichever are more restrictive.

It's how things work in Thailand. Jeez, they even translate it into English to make it easier for barowners to understand. :D :banghead

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bow to the superior knowledge and judgment of those who know how things work in England and California. And, henceforth, FLB will operate under the laws of the State of California or the UK laws, whichever are more restrictive.

Try to run it under Thai laws. Unfortunately the licensing is perfectly legal here. Your True subscription is valid for private viewing only.

It is handled similarly in most of the civilized world, too.

Try to run it under Thai laws. Unfortunately the licensing is perfectly legal here. Your True subscription is valid for private viewing only.

It is handled similarly in most of the civilized world, too.

Which is why FLB operates under the laws of the civilized world, especially CALIFORNIA and the UK.

And why I am not going to pay a satang to some Somchai who bought the broadcast rights for the series.

And, furthermore, which is why I don't give a flying fuck about the comments of people who I have never met or who have never spent more than a couple of hundred baht in the bar (that one individual would be CheshireTom...the rest of you can kiss my ass).

Which is why FLB operates under the laws of the civilized world, especially CALIFORNIA and the UK.

And why I am not going to pay a satang to some Somchai who bought the broadcast rights for the series.

And, furthermore, which is why I don't give a flying fuck about the comments of people who I have never met or who have never spent more than a couple of hundred baht in the bar (that one individual would be CheshireTom...the rest of you can kiss my ass).

So, the RS Company in Pattaya is going to charge 10,000 Baht for a license and to whom will they pay that fee to...?

They can't keep this for themselves, it must go to the World Cup

Funny, how ESPN covers this around the world and does not charge it's customers any extra (bars)

Public viewing would mean you have charged a fee to the customer to watch, I tend to disagree with thai logic on this one :D

Even though TIT, it would be a good case to debate

Pubs and clubs in the UK pay hundreds of pounds per month to transmit BSkyB.

I've spent thousands in the FLB and its previous incarnations long before you ever set foot in Pattaya. :allright The fact that I have chosen not to do so since you took over the bar is merely a reflection of .......... [fill in the blanks as you feel fit]. :D

Edited by CheshireTom

Just before the World Cup commenced, we were visited here at Cats Corner by the Pattaya Rep of RS Company, Bangkok and his lady boss, the latter who spoke very good English.

The position is this -

THB 10,000 for each TV screen. Police cannot enforce the law alone. The company rep must request police assistance and take the lead. The police are there to prevent a breach of the peace and convey all parties to the police station for the infringement to be settled. For a first offence, RS Company will seek payment of THB 100,000.

For all you upstanding and law-abiding bar owners (like MM), those of you who want to purchase a licence should ring 0847-003417 which is the mobile phone of the Pattaya rep.

I hope this assists.

By the way, here at Cats Corner, we are showing all the matches with English commentary.

cats_corner_logo_006_800x515.jpg

can you smell that ?

it's sarcasm in the air, LOL

I'm sorry, but I have to serve a DMCA takedown notice that use of [sARCASM] [/sARCASM], express or implied, is copyright and patent-pending SmellyFarang, Inc.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter...

Just before the World Cup commenced, we were visited here at Cats Corner by the Pattaya Rep of RS Company, Bangkok and his lady boss, the latter who spoke very good English.

The position is this -

THB 10,000 for each TV screen. Police cannot enforce the law alone. The company rep must request police assistance and take the lead. The police are there to prevent a breach of the peace and convey all parties to the police station for the infringement to be settled. For a first offence, RS Company will seek payment of THB 100,000.

For all you upstanding and law-abiding bar owners (like MM), those of you who want to purchase a licence should ring 0847-003417 which is the mobile phone of the Pattaya rep.

I hope this assists.

By the way, here at Cats Corner, we are showing all the matches with English commentary.

cats_corner_logo_006_800x515.jpg

So be clear.. how much are you forking out to cover the whole World Cup and how much beer do you think you will have to sell to cover it?

So, the RS Company in Pattaya is going to charge 10,000 Baht for a license and to whom will they pay that fee to...?

They can't keep this for themselves, it must go to the World Cup

RS is paying "the World Cup" i.e. Fifa. They are paying "the World Cup" specifically for rights to resell the World Cup. So, yes, they pay "the World Cup" AND keep the money for themselves. Sort of like Fifa does, buying the players and teams, say.

Many thanks Feline for the contact info. We are now licensed and showing all matches with English Commentary at Drunks & Dare-a-Licks, Thepressit, Soi 10, Jomtien.

Also in our air-con lounge for those who like comfort.

Chris

So be clear.. how much are you forking out to cover the whole World Cup and how much beer do you think you will have to sell to cover it?

I have one large TV, so I've forked out THB 10,000. I made that back on the first day and more. Like last June, I get very little passing trade. Formula 1, football etc. brings in much needed revenue for my bar.

Many thanks Feline for the contact info. We are now licensed and showing all matches with English Commentary at Drunks & Dare-a-Licks, Thepressit, Soi 10, Jomtien.

Also in our air-con lounge for those who like comfort.

Chris

Glad to have been of assistance. I'll try and pop down sometime.

Tom

Bars pay for services on a monthly basis in the USA and for special events (such as boxing), a PPV fee(this goes directly to the promoter)

This group in Pattaya did NOT pay the World Cup a fee to broadcast in Thailand, they are picking up a feed from another(As with the NFL Superbowl)

Then trying to make us believe they have "broadcast rights". It reminds me of the gang of thieves in 2007, who thought they owned a music fee.

They tried to collect from all the bars in Pattaya, with police assistance. It was a scam, as a music license cost 10,000 Baht/yr at City Hall

Be an interesting debate in a court of law (even Thailands), as they claim rights according to a website (total BS)

http://www.rs.co.th/index.php

Edited by Greg_B
Tom

Bars pay for services on a monthly basis in the USA and for special events (such as boxing), a PPV fee(this goes directly to the promoter)

This group in Pattaya did NOT pay the World Cup a fee to broadcast in Thailand, they are picking up a feed from another(As with the NFL Superbowl)

Then trying to make us believe they have "broadcast rights". It reminds me of the gang of thieves in 2007, who thought they owned a music fee.

They tried to collect from all the bars in Pattaya, with police assistance. It was a scam, as a music license cost 10,000 Baht/yr at City Hall

Be an interesting debate in a court of law (even Thailands)

RS International have purchased the broadcast rights for Thailand from FIFA. It's then for them to sell the games on to the actual broadcasters and that's exactly what's happened. And it's exactly the same story for Brazil 2014.

I've spent thousands in the FLB and its previous incarnations long before you ever set foot in Pattaya. :thumbup The fact that I have chosen not to do so since you took over the bar is merely a reflection of .......... [fill in the blanks as you feel fit]. :unsure:

That's wonderful to know how much you spent. I'd have never guessed. I'm am sure Pete and Ben appreciate it.

However, I singled you out simply because you were the only person, known personally to me, who has been in the bar and posted in this topic.

Of course, when/if you come to the bar, you should know that it's your presence that is appreciated. You can stay all night without spending a satang, because we'll all be basking in the glory of your proximity. That's reward enough for us.

Greg, you've truly got this backwards.

RS bought the Thailand broadcast rights to World Cup 2010 from Fifa. They then can divvy up and resell those rights as they see fit. They could sell terrestial rights to the Thai TV pool for example, satellite rights to Channel 3, radio rights to the JoeKicker Radio Network if it pleases them. YOU may not believe this, but it is true nonetheless. In fact RS has sold various TV broadcast rights in Thailand to a number of companies including the Thai TV pool. Any broadcaster in Thailand carrying a World Cup match either (a) has purchased the right to broadcast it from RS International or (:rolleyes: has broken copyright law and is legally subject to quite substantial penalties.

RS has every right to demand any payment of any size it wants from anyone showing the game to the public or, more generally, anywhere outside his own home. There is only one LEGAL way not to pay RS to watch the World Cup in Thailand -- don't watch it.

Edited by joekicker

I've lost the gist of this thread.

But I have been telling everyone this since I found out last week..........Sky TV charge bars i the UK £10,000+ a month for SkySports 2guns Anf d that's throughout the year.

Thankfully, the world cup is on terrestial channels.

from anyone showing the game to the public or, more generally, anywhere outside his own home. There is only one LEGAL way not to pay RS to watch the World Cup in Thailand -- don't watch it.

can't some people get it at home & not bother going to hunt for a pub that can afford to pay this extortionate fee ?

Greg, you've truly got this backwards.

RS bought the Thailand broadcast rights to World Cup 2010 from Fifa. They then can divvy up and resell those rights as they see fit. They could sell terrestial rights to the Thai TV pool for example, satellite rights to Channel 3, radio rights to the JoeKicker Radio Network if it pleases them. YOU may not believe this, but it is true nonetheless. In fact RS has sold various TV broadcast rights in Thailand to a number of companies including the Thai TV pool. Any broadcaster in Thailand carrying a World Cup match either (a) has purchased the right to broadcast it from RS International or (:yikes: has broken copyright law and is legally subject to quite substantial penalties.

RS has every right to demand any payment of any size it wants from anyone showing the game to the public or, more generally, anywhere outside his own home. There is only one LEGAL way not to pay RS to watch the World Cup in Thailand -- don't watch it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_Wor...ue_in_Singapore

There is some dispute about who has the rights...?

Edited by Greg_B

Maybe in the real world -

But I doubt wiki quotes will further your argument any when Messrs RS Company and a cohort of their recruited brown meanies come a callin'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_Wor...ue_in_Singapore

Grerg there's no dispute; at least I don't think so. The relevant quote is "FIFA, through several companies, have sold the rights for the broadcast of 2010 FIFA World Cup to the following broadcasters.

In the case of Thailand, the broadcast rights for Thailand were sold through RS, who still retain the media rights for the country. It's exactly the same set-up that was in place for the 2008 European Champioships.

Edited by CheshireTom
Maybe in the real world -

But I doubt wiki quotes will further your argument any when Messrs RS Company and a cohort of their recruited brown meanies come a callin'

Yes, just like the 2007 "meanies" who thought that a music license was required by their "company".....LMAO

If this event was so damn important to RS, they would have made it PPV, like other countries do with special events

No owners are really scared of it... :yikes:

No one is charging a fee for you to watch it, so where is the violation...?

If this event was so damn important to RS, they would have made it PPV, like other countries do with special events

Sigh. Give it up!

RS is not BROADCASTING the World Cup, RS is selling the broadcast rights in Thailand. RS is not a broadcaster, RS is a very large entertainment company.

Sigh. Give it up!

RS is not BROADCASTING the World Cup, RS is selling the broadcast rights in Thailand. RS is not a broadcaster, RS is a very large entertainment company.

Best to give it up Joe, you really would be an easy target (if you owned a bar)

does the English commentary filter out those F N annoying horns that the fans blow on non-stop?... stadium horn honkers make the World Cup unwatchable with the volume on...