Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I am inThailand on a retirement visa and I am living together with a Philippina who is staying in Thailand on a double entry tourist visa. We were planning a trip to Europe and went to the German Embassy to apply for a tourist visa for her. at the Embassy we were informed that she can not apply for a tourist visa to the Schengen States in Thailand because she is only a tourist here and needs to show residency in Thailand, otherwise she can only apply for a tourist visa to Europe in Manila. I have now following questions to the BMs:

Has anybody else ever dealt with this problem and if yes, how did you solve it?

Is it possible to change a tourist visa into a residence visa without leaving Thailand?

Is an Ed-visa equal to a residence visa and does it allow to apply for a tourist visa at the German Embassy?

All answers and advises are appreciated>

• 3 weeks later...

The German embassy gave you the correct information. Your lady will have to apply for a Schengen Visa in Manila, unless she becomes a permanent resident of Thailand ...but that is another problem.

Converting a tourist visa into a residence visa is unlikely as it requires multiple conditions and steps.

Ed-Visa is not equal to a residence visa as far as I know and will not help to apply for a Schengen visa in Thailand.

A quick trip to Manila seems to be the easiest way out.

Ed-Visa is not equal to a residence visa as far as I know and will not help to apply for a Schengen visa in Thailand.

A quick trip to Manila seems to be the easiest way out.

Yes, a good post, EXCEPT I bet that for this purpose an education visa would be taken as residence -- BUT you need to ask the Germans, not a bunch of barroom immigration experts.

If you're going to school, you have to actually reside in the country, even though it might not be, technically, a residence visa. I'd note here that in Thailand, the permission to stay indefinitely in the country (such as a retirement visa) is a Non-Resident visa, but it certainly is accepted as small-R residence at any western embassy including European ones.

Edited by joekicker