Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Unless you have done and passed your CBT (Compulsory basic training) UK, your travel insurance will be invalid even if you have a full UK driving licence (car).

And it will costs about £20,000 if you have a serious accident and need to get repatriated.

Edited by duncmc
Unless you have done and passed your CBT (Compulsory basic training) UK, your travel insurance will be invalid even if you have a full UK driving licence (car).

And it will costs about £20,000 if you have a serious accident and need to get repatriated.

Dont fuckin hire one then :closedeyes: :gulp :gulp :gulp

I would guess the travel insurance would be invalid if you were not wearing a helmet, also if you didn't have proper motor insurance within Thailand then

the travel insurance wouldn't cover you either.

I too watched a little of that programme the other night on TV where such matters were discussed. I am a fine printer reader (no not an anorak) I am cautious so that I know what I am up against when and if it happens. I read long ago on my insurance policy that regarding motorcycle hire you are not covered on anything over 125cc! Some will call me a kill joy but those who do I trust never end up in the hospital at least, when they have a fall of their motorcycle.

I hire a scooter every time I am in Pattaya I check the bike over thoroughly before I take it I accept that those hiring the bike may have insurance only for the road nothing else. I ride the bike with respect that also applies to other road users but its Thailand and you have to watch like a hawk. The field of vision requires that you watch the footpaths, side streets, street vendors, cars,other Thai mc riding up against the traffic and the worst of all those bastards (no apologies) called motor cycle taxi's. YOU NEED TO BE SWITCHED ON TO RIDE IN PATTAYA. I have on one ocassion had one beer and rode my scooter but not proud of it and would not do it again or recommend it. Regarding the holiday insurance aspect what we must all remember is that insurance companies will do everything to try get out of paying so why give them the chance. They will expect to apply the rules for riding in the uk to Pattaya etc regardless of local legislation. So therefore my advice would be is that if you have not the appropriate licence to ride the bike in the UK forget it in Thailand, also the helmet business, well I just wonder about that one! We are all aware that the helmets used are far from anything approved by the uk and to be quite honest are almost usless. So I think its only a matter of time and unfortunately probably as a result of a serious accident that this will come to happen to the insurance companys advantage.

I only point out my views to assist those who may consider hiring just know what you are letting yourself in for. I am no kill joy it can certainly be a pleasant and cheap way to see the place and get your bearings but its not for the weak hearted or the sleeper!

Its not really as complex as being about C.B.T. (what ever the hell that is - got my Full MC licence when I was 16 all those decades ago before such stuff was dreamt up)

Its as simple as this - and this is where all that bar room BS about 'you dont need this, & I've never had that' falls on its face - You need your UK (or where ever) licence AND I.D.P. to be street legal, and guess what it needs to encompass the type of vehicle youre in charge of. If youre not street legal why would you lead yourself to believe that any insurer would not laugh out loud at any subsequent claim you made.

As that TV show tried to highlight, youre not in Nanny Land any longer, theres no 'duty of care' just cos no one bothered about your paperwork, or fitted you with a certified helmet doesnt mean that youre in any way absolved from the repercussions (physical or financial), or can expect any 'Claims R Us' compensation.

Edited by Regyai
I too watched a little of that programme the other night on TV where such matters were discussed. I am a fine printer reader (no not an anorak) I am cautious so that I know what I am up against when and if it happens. I read long ago on my insurance policy that regarding motorcycle hire you are not covered on anything over 125cc! Some will call me a kill joy but those who do I trust never end up in the hospital at least, when they have a fall of their motorcycle.

I hire a scooter every time I am in Pattaya I check the bike over thoroughly before I take it I accept that those hiring the bike may have insurance only for the road nothing else. I ride the bike with respect that also applies to other road users but its Thailand and you have to watch like a hawk. The field of vision requires that you watch the footpaths, side streets, street vendors, cars,other Thai mc riding up against the traffic and the worst of all those bastards (no apologies) called motor cycle taxi's. YOU NEED TO BE SWITCHED ON TO RIDE IN PATTAYA. I have on one ocassion had one beer and rode my scooter but not proud of it and would not do it again or recommend it. Regarding the holiday insurance aspect what we must all remember is that insurance companies will do everything to try get out of paying so why give them the chance. They will expect to apply the rules for riding in the uk to Pattaya etc regardless of local legislation. So therefore my advice would be is that if you have not the appropriate licence to ride the bike in the UK forget it in Thailand, also the helmet business, well I just wonder about that one! We are all aware that the helmets used are far from anything approved by the uk and to be quite honest are almost usless. So I think its only a matter of time and unfortunately probably as a result of a serious accident that this will come to happen to the insurance companys advantage.

I only point out my views to assist those who may consider hiring just know what you are letting yourself in for. I am no kill joy it can certainly be a pleasant and cheap way to see the place and get your bearings but its not for the weak hearted or the sleeper!

I agree whole heartedly with your post Mr...

I myself have only a UK driving license and not a bike licence but i like to hire a scooter in Pattaya.

I ride very carefully and NEVER drive at night or while im pissed.

We ride during the day and do a bit of sightseeing around Pattaya/Naklua/Jomtiem, its a lovely way to get around, visiting- tiger zoo, underwaterworld, floating market etc.

Cheep as chips too...

All fine and dandy

And certainly all good measures to employ to ameliorate the inherent risks

But

You have to accept the one overriding risk factor that you cannot alter and that is: that without the relevant licence, in the event of injury to yourself, others, or damage to property then all costs and compensation are being paid for by your good self.

Edited by Regyai
I agree whole heartedly with your post Mr...

I myself have only a UK driving license and not a bike licence but i like to hire a scooter in Pattaya.

I ride very carefully and NEVER drive at night or while im pissed.

We ride during the day and do a bit of sightseeing around Pattaya/Naklua/Jomtiem, its a lovely way to get around, visiting- tiger zoo, underwaterworld, floating market etc.

Cheep as chips too...

Confusing post but I guess you are telling us you only have a UK car licence.....

So basically you ride around illegally, unlicenced and inexperienced..... yes you should be careful, I will be too!

Confusing post but I guess you are telling us you only have a UK car licence.....

So basically you ride around illegally, unlicenced and inexperienced..... yes you should be careful, I will be too!

You may be careful but its the others that are not that cause you to have an accident.

Edited by ThaiLearner
You may be careful but its the others that are not that could you to have an accident.
I live here and own a motorbike..... you are correct, it is quite dangerous.

I have a full UK car & motorcycle license AND I always get an IDP before travelling. You can get them up to 3 months in advance, mine expires on the 2nd Jan each year and I get a new one in late October just before I come out for 4 months in the winter.

I do this not only to comply with the law but also to save money. In the last 2 visits I have been stopped 6 times at random checkpoints. As soon as I produce my licences which, I keep in a poly bag to keep them dry, I get waved on & have never even had to open the bag. At probably a 400 Bt fine each time you soon save the 6 GBP the IDP costs.

BTW the way the most common tea money collection points are Several places along Soi BuaKhao, in the vicinity of Friendship/Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai, below the overpass that crosses Thapraya Road, at the junction of Soi 17 & 3rd road and at the junctions of the railway line bypass road where it crosses either Soi Siam Country Club, Soi Nern Plabwan or Soi Khao Talo.

stevoh

Travel insurance and dangerous activities.

Hiring a motorbike in Pattaya is done so by producing your passport which has F....k all to do with the legality of riding the bike.

The standard Thai insurance offered with a rental bike is piss poor at best and covers little in the event of an accident. The Thai insurance also does not cover theft hence the reason why some unscrupulous hirer's secretly recover the bike during the rental period without your knowledge and claim the cost of theft from you the hirer when you report it as being stolen.

When hiring a bike invest in a decent lock and don't put your trust in the lock that comes with the bike.

Remember……………………….you are not the only one with keys to that same bike lock.

As far as I’m aware when taking out travel insurance in your home country you have to inform the insurers that you intend to ride a motorbike and check what sort of cover does the insurance give you.

Dangerous activities whilst on holiday are usually add-ons to travel insurances and if you don't check your level of cover you might have no cover at all other than that offered with the hire bike.

A replacement bike assuming the one you hire is new will set you back 40-50.000 baht for starters.

Medical bills don’t come cheap either as Thai’s injured in an accident with a farang insist on being treated at the best hospitals available which doesn’t come cheap.

Hirer beware!!

Yes thats right but i only hire out twist and go automatics which anyone that is road savvy could ride...IMO.

Touch wood i have not had an accident YET!!

Like i said i only ride slowly, in daylight and sober.

holland rules with these things. You are insured for your medical expenses no matter what. my company even ensures me all over the world without having a travel insurance up to 2x the amount of what the treatment costs in holland. Repatriating will happen if it is medically necesary otherwise you need a travel insurance.....anyway this has nothing to do with the subject i suppose

Yes thats right but i only hire out twist and go automatics which anyone that is road savvy could ride...IMO.

Touch wood i have not had an accident YET!!

Like i said i only ride slowly, in daylight and sober.

Oh I wouldn't worry too much about it. I am wondering what perentage of riders here do have valid motorcycle licences... bet it would be under 50! The only issue really is 'road savvy' at home doesn't quite cover here!

A bike came at me yesterday evening and I could have sworn the sole rider was only 6!

Edited by jacko