Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Gettin Baht in Pattaya - cash or ATM

For some years I have been obtaining the bulk of my Thai Baht with my Nationwide card. However the advantage of using this card has been substantially reduced particularly from 1 November when both Nationwide and the Thai bank will make a charge.

I am wondering taking enough sterling to change into baht to cover the majority of my month's cash requirement.

I appreciate that there would be the risk of robbery or loss, but that would be relatively low as I would keep the money in my possession during the journey and whilst in Pats I would keep it in a room-safe.

Say I need 150,000 baht for 4 weeks. My usual method would be to take this out with approx 15 ATM withdrawals, which would now cost me about 300 baht each, so 4500 baht in total.

Assuming the ATM and Pound cash exchange rate is the same, this would be a reasonable saving.

Any comments ?

Edited by Daveuk
For some years I have been obtaining the bulk of my Thai Baht with my Nationwide card. However the advantage of using this card has been substantially reduced particularly from 1 November when both Nationwide and the Thai bank will make a charge.

I am wondering taking enough sterling to change into baht to cover the majority of my month's cash requirement.

I appreciate that there would be the risk of robbery or loss, but that would be relatively low as I would keep the money in my possession during the journey and whilst in Pats I would keep it in a room-safe.

Say I need 150,000 baht for 4 weeks. My usual method would be to take this out with approx 15 ATM withdrawals, which would now cost me about 300 baht each, so 4500 baht in total.

Assuming the ATM and Pound cash exchange rate is the same, this would be a reasonable saving.

Any comments ?

I think the best option would be to use travellers cheques cheaper than using a card and safer than cash

Yeah i agree with the above post, i took travellers cheques last year and will again in 2 weeks, only hassle was having to take your passport to cash them but exchange booths are everywhere so easy to get your cash then return your passport to safe in loom.

i agree definetly travlers cheks on my 1oth trip to thailand last trip i was drugd/spiked robd/thank budah i had tcs wich were refunded from the post ofice

other way isto open a thai bank acount wich is easy to do also

Yeah i agree with the above post, i took travellers cheques last year and will again in 2 weeks, only hassle was having to take your passport to cash them but exchange booths are everywhere so easy to get your cash then return your passport to safe in loom.
Some booths will take a copy of your passport, and further visits won't need you to take it.

Or just change a lot when you arrive.

Edited by jacko

Any comments ?

I think you answered your own question. 100% Cash with your ATM as back up would be my choice.

if using an ATM card for your primary cash resource...have a back up plan if your card is eaten...carry a credit card that you can walk into a bank with and draw funds on without using in an ATM.

... happened to me during Songkran and I was glad I had a back up plan.

after my first trip where i used my atm card at a cost of $20AUS per transaction, i take cash using safety deposit boxes in the rooms and fouyers of the hotels i have not had any problems......to date. But last trip a thai girlfriend insited that i open a thai bank account i dont have a visa and we used her parents address the next day i went and took all but 10000baht out in case it was a scam (trusting bugger arn't I) :clueless

Why not take some cash or travelers checks and open a Thai bank account first thing? Aside from the charge for the ATM card, I think it would be pretty much free after that if you used your Thai bank ATM card at your Thai bank.

Thanks guys for your replies

I'm not sure about opening a Thai bank account - is this appropriate for just staying 4 weeks on holiday ?

Say I bring £3000 in travellers cheques. These will cost me £3045 together with the 1.5% charge. Say I get 48 baht per £1 (maybe I'm being optimistic here). The £45 charge therefore costs me 2160 baht. This compares with 4500 baht for using ATM's. Can you get trav cheques cheaper than this in the UK ?. But what charges do you get for cashing the cheques in Pattaya and is the exchange rate the same as you get at an ATM ?.

Makes me realise what a hell of a good deal the Nationwide Card was !.

Edited by Daveuk
Thanks guys for your replies

I'm not sure about opening a Thai bank account - is this appropriate for just staying 4 weeks on holiday ?

Say I bring £3000 in travellers cheques. These will cost me £3045 together with the 1.5% charge. Say I get 48 baht per £1 (maybe I'm being optimistic here). The £45 charge therefore costs me 2160 baht. This compares with 4500 baht for using ATM's. Can you get trav cheques cheaper than this in the UK ?. But what charges do you get for cashing the cheques in Pattaya and is the exchange rate the same as you get at an ATM ?.

Makes me realise what a hell of a good deal the Nationwide Card was !.

A bank account here is more applicable for someone who does several trips or has extended stays. There is an initial charge for the ATM card too.

You are fine with TCs if you don't mind traipsing to the exchange place every so often, then going back to the hotel to put the passport, TCs and excess cash back into the safe.

Apparently TCs can be bought commission free at Lloyds if you use their card..... there have been many posts regarding buying them cheap or 'free'.

The extra rate on TCs in LOS normally covers the local encashing fee (33 Baht/CHQ), hence go for bigger denomination, under £100 and you lose.

Nationwide was too good to last! :rolleyes:

Edited by jacko
Nationwide was too good to last! :chogdee

I think it was a loss leader to get a lot of extra business. I know lots of my family took out Nationwide accts for the free withdrawals abroad.

It's probably done more for the brand than sponsoring the Football League. Now the jobs done they have their 10 million or so customers trhey can go back to putting the charges up.