Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Non Immigrant O visa for Australians.

Hello,

I'm going back to Melbourne soon for 2 weeks and would like to get a new visa. I've had a tourist visa before without any problems but from what I understand a Non Immigrant O visa can give you about 12 months in Thailand.

I rang the consulate in Melbourne and was none the wiser. Lady told me that it would be good for 2 entries of 3 months. no help what so ever.

What is needed to obtain one.

I'm not married to a Thai, I don't have business in Thailand, I'm 36 yo, I do have enough funds to support myself, I do have a fresh 6 month lease for an apartment.

Should I open a Thai bank account?

Please help me figure this out. There must be an Australian BM that has done this before. Detailed info on documents presented when applying would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

C.

No visa will give you more than 3 months in Thailand. But a non-immigrant visa can be extended by immigration to 12 months, yes -- after you fulfill the immigration requirements such as for retirement visa, spouse visa, business, whatever.

Tell the embassy you're going to do some business in Thailand and need a non-imm - it's up to them but USUALLY you can get one.

I rang the consulate in Melbourne and was none the wiser. Lady told me that it would be good for 2 entries of 3 months. no help what so ever.

What is needed to obtain one.

I'm not married to a Thai, I don't have business in Thailand, I'm 36 yo, I do have enough funds to support myself, I do have a fresh 6 month lease for an apartment.

Should I open a Thai bank account?

Please help me figure this out. There must be an Australian BM that has done this before. Detailed info on documents presented when applying would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

C.

You are right regarding an Ozzy being better for advice.... this lady you called sounds useless. As I know it a Non-Imm O is good for either one 3 month entry, or a multiple, as many (3 month) entries as you like in the 12 month validity. The reason to be iussued the visa is 'extended stray'.... and countries vary as to how easily or likely they are to issue you with one. Good luck.
and countries vary as to how easily or likely they are to issue you with one. Good luck.

and embassies.

One Thai consulate will practically fling them at you, the one in the next city won't hear of it.

In Oz the consulates are the only ones that will issue a Visa. The Embassy in Canberra will not issue a Visa - besides who wants to travel to Canberra. I got a Non-Imm O Visa about 2 years ago and it was very easy. I went to the Thai Consulate in Brisbane with my Passport and a letter from my super fund stipulating my invested funds, thus verifying that I had funds available to support myself for 12 months. I said I wanted to holiday in Thai for 12 months and needed a 12 month, multi entry Visa. 10 minutes and $225 later I had my Visa. I have heard from other people that Melbourne will only give a Visa for 6 months - not sure why. The only downside is that you have to leave the country (usually a bus trip to the Cambodian border) every 3 months. I got sick of this and converted to a Retirement extension after 6 months.

I have had 4 twelve month multiple entry visas from brisbane and my experience was the same as ozerob. good service and helpful advice. May I suggest you send an email to the consulate in Brisbane, attention Bill Dunne, detailing your requirements and your reasons for wanting this visa. My advice would be to also send some proof of your financial assetts (copy of bank statement e.g) to show that you have no need to work in thailand, which is often a concern when issuing a visa to someone under 50. Also note that if you leave the country just before the 12 months is up and re-enter again, you get another 90 day permission to stay, even tho your visa has expired. this means you get 15 months out of the visa.

No visa will give you more than 3 months in Thailand.

In Pattaya there are signs touting the Educational Visa. Good for 12 or 15 months without having to leave LOS and can be renewed for up to 10 years. I've seen the costs posted for the school at around 23k a year and one school was saying that you had to attend a class once a week for 4 hours.

In Pattaya there are signs touting the Educational Visa. Good for 12 or 15 months without having to leave LOS and can be renewed for up to 10 years. I've seen the costs posted for the school at around 23k a year and one school was saying that you had to attend a class once a week for 4 hours.

It's not a visa. It is an EXTENSION to a visa. A visa is what you get from an embassy (consulate), and present to the (wo)man at the airport. Who will give you 90 days or less on that original visa.

After you get 3 months (maximum) stamped at the airport, and after 3 months in Thailand, you take that along to immigration with whatever papers you need. Assuming everything's fine, and immigration EXTENDS that visa into a one-year permission to remain. Not just education by any means - business, spouse, retirement, lots and lots of different ones. The education ones advertised on those signs are ACTUALLY something of a scam, my opinion - but they are real.

This means you get a one-year *stay* although the *effect* seems in many ways like a one-year visa. And once you do this, as one-year stay can quite possibly be further extended in fits and starts into a 50-year stay or more so far as that goes. But there are details you have to follow, and at least one trip to the immigration office. The original visa, issued in Someforeignplace by the foreign ministry, will give you 90 days or less. The immigration department then decides whether to extend your permission to stay in Thailand more than 90 days.

There are no real exceptions to the above UNLESS you already have been through all of the above at least once, or fall into a really special category such as high-so diplomat or something like that.

No visa will give you more than 3 months in Thailand. But a non-immigrant visa can be extended by immigration to 12 months, yes -- after you fulfill the immigration requirements such as for retirement visa, spouse visa, business, whatever.

Tell the embassy you're going to do some business in Thailand and need a non-imm - it's up to them but USUALLY you can get one.

How about a non-Imm OA, a 'retirement' visa obtained in your home country. I thought that could give you a year?
The original visa, issued in Someforeignplace by the foreign ministry, will give you 90 days or less. The immigration department then decides whether to extend your permission to stay in Thailand more than 90 days.

There are no real exceptions to the above UNLESS you already have been through all of the above at least once, or fall into a really special category such as high-so diplomat or something like that.

Not true. I entered LOS on a 30 day stamp in Sep 2006 and had never had a visa from LOS on any of my previous trips. Then went to Jomtien Immigration and applied for the Retirement Visa or extension if that's what you want to call it. But maybe I'm a VIP and just not aware of my status. Helped a friend of mine do the same thing earlier this year. What I found odd is that when I enter LOS, the immigration officals want to see the number on my multiple re-entry permit on the arrival card where they ask for visa number. The first time I used the number that was in the Retirement Visa/Extension and was told that wasn't the correct number to use.

Edited by Emil
Not true. I entered LOS on a 30 day stamp in Sep 2006 and had never had a visa from LOS on any of my previous trips. Then went to Jomtien Immigration and applied for the Retirement Visa

Yes. That is precisely what I wrote. Why do you claim it is "not true"? You can get into Thailand for UP TO 90 days, but to stay for a year, you have to go to immigration, just as you report you did. The Thai embassies and the Thai consulates and the people at the airport will NOT give you a one-year visa.

What is "not true"?

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it. The "30-day" part. Yes, well, that's not what we were discussing. My point is that you cannot get ONE YEAR without a trip to immigration, which is what you also say. Your main point is something quite different. You are correct, what you say can happen. I am definitely, absolutely correct, as you proved. All I wrote was "90 days OR LESS" (my emphasis).

How about a non-Imm OA, a 'retirement' visa obtained in your home country. I thought that could give you a year?

I keep hearing this. But I've never seen one, never heard anyone say they have one. I hope someone can chime in about it, but I think this is an exaggeration.

If you've been in Thailand, and you get a job in Thailand and you then have to exit Thailand to get the proper non-imm visa, they give you the visa type that you need for working. But you still have to take that to immigration when you come back. At least that's my experience and understanding.

Maybe someone has got a one-year visa that didn't require a trip to immigration??? I doubt it, but I have an open mind. But FOR SURE you have to have been in Thailand, no no0bie can walk in and get a one-year visa unless he is ... well, I can't immediately think of such a case, actually.

See, here's the thing jacko, and it's the same for your country and all countries including Thailand -- the people who stamp the visas (embassy types) are NOT the same people who enforce immigration. The procedures vary country to country, but there's no actual difference between how the Thais, the US, the Australians, the Cambodians, the UKers do this. Thais do not station immigration-department people at foreign embassies, so you can't get "residence"-type visas and have to visit immigration in Thailand. The US (say) has immigration people stationed in their embassies, quite different from the people who give tourist visas, so you CAN get a green-card residency visa stamp -- but its not from the consulate. Same thing, different working-procedure details.

Edited by joekicker
Yes. That is precisely what I wrote. Why do you claim it is "not true"? You can get into Thailand for UP TO 90 days, but to stay for a year, you have to go to immigration, just as you report you did. The Thai embassies and the Thai consulates and the people at the airport will NOT give you a one-year visa.

What is "not true"?

What is not true is your statement that stated that the original visa, with no exception, is issued in Someforeign place by the foreign ministry. My original visa was issued at Pattaya Immigration, stamped into my passport and then less than 5 seconds later stamped "Used" after first collecting 2000 baht from me and then sending me on my way to the retirement desk.

Edited by Emil
What is not true is your statement that stated that the original visa, with no exception, is issued in Someforeign place by the foreign ministry. My original visa was issued at Pattaya Immigration, stamped into my passport and then less than 5 seconds later stamped "Used" after first collecting 2000 baht from me and then sending me on my way to the retirement desk.

Sorry but you've now dug yourself a hole you weren't even in.

You cannot get a visa from immigration. Nor is that 30-day stamp at the airport a visa. Good for you to confirm my uncontroversial statement that you cannot get MORE THAN 90 days at the airport. Good for you to get immigration to give you a year's stay. But what you got at the airport is not a visa, and what you have from immigration is permission to remain. The ONLY place you can obtain a visa is outside the country -- except in very rare cases when the Foreign Ministry itself in Bangkok is authorised to give you one.

According to you, you got a stamp at the airport, and a permission to remain at immigration. Neither is a visa. The fact that "most people" call them visas is not relevant.

I keep hearing this. But I've never seen one, never heard anyone say they have one. I hope someone can chime in about it, but I think this is an exaggeration.

Well an Australian friend had one, although he has now seen the light of getting a retirement extension in Jomtiem. But I recall disputing his 12 months status when he asked me about it. It was a retirement visa obtained in Oz, and he got a multiple re-entry with it. And when he went to Oz and returned just prior to it's expiration, he got a stamp indicating he had a further 12 months! I guess he had to do the 90 day reporting, but he most certainly had a visa for longer than 90 days.

That is why I commented on your blanket statement.... this is LOS Joe, never say never eh! :angry2:

Edited by jacko
Also note that if you leave the country just before the 12 months is up and re-enter again, you get another 90 day permission to stay, even tho your visa has expired. this means you get 15 months out of the visa.

I've not seen this at all.

Twice I have left the country and returned on an about-to-expire 1 year visa. The first time, I had 7 days left on my one year visa, and the stamp said I had to leave the country or apply for a visa in ... 7 days.

The second time (last night), I had a visa expiring on Nov 10, 2010. My arrival was Oct 23, 2010. The amount of time given me on this entry was 17 or 18 days...until Nov 10, 2010.

So, whenever I have reentered the country on a 1 year visa (retirement or business), the stamp is good until the visa expiration date, and in some cases, that can be a very short time.

Twice I have left the country and returned on an about-to-expire 1 year visa. The first time, I had 7 days left on my one year visa, and the stamp said I had to leave the country or apply for a visa in ... 7 days.

The second time (last night), I had a visa expiring on Nov 10, 2010. My arrival was Oct 23, 2010. The amount of time given me on this entry was 17 or 18 days...until Nov 10, 2010.

So, whenever I have reentered the country on a 1 year visa (retirement or business), the stamp is good until the visa expiration date, and in some cases, that can be a very short time.

His statement does apply to a multiple non-Imm O....... if you enter the country during it's validity you get 90 days stamp. Hence you can go 3 months beyond it's expiration... as I have done.

You are perhaps discussing an extension, not a visa????

Welcome back by the way, I hope it was a good trip!

Edited by jacko
His statement does apply to a multiple non-Imm O....... if you enter the country during it's validity you get 90 days stamp. Hence you can go 3 months beyond it's expiration... as I have done.

You are perhaps discussing an extension, not a visa????

Welcome back by the way, I hope it was a good trip!

Fuck if I know! :angry2:

Anyway, all I know is that I have to apply for another whatchamajigger in 17 days.

Oh, and thanks. Good to be back.

That is why I commented on your blanket statement.... this is LOS Joe, never say never eh! :angry2:

Now, now jacko - from the start, I noted there are always exceptions. As there always are.

This one-year visa has me very, very curious however, since you've laid eyes on one. And he had never before been in Thailand, you say?

Two different cases.

You are absolutely correct about a "permission to remain" stamp. You MUST come back during its validity, and it won't be extended on your entry - you get just what it says.

The poster was correct about a multiple ENTRY (not re-entry) visa, allowing him to stay 90 days each time he enters, during the validity of the visa, which is usually one year.

Now, now jacko - from the start, I noted there are always exceptions. As there always are.

This one-year visa has me very, very curious however, since you've laid eyes on one. And he had never before been in Thailand, you say?

Not certain about this, I don't think I stated that and would be surprised a person would go to the effort of obtaining a Non-Imm OA in his home country to commit to living in an unknown place. (I believe a police report is required for example.) Mind you, this guy has made strange decisions b4.

Here is a link for a US Embassy Site

Not certain about this, I don't think I stated that and would be surprised a person would go to the effort of obtaining a Non-Imm OA in his home country to commit to living in an unknown place. (I believe a police report is required for example.) Mind you, this guy has made strange decisions b4.

Here is a link for a US Embassy Site

Thanks. That is very specific that the visa allows a one-year, unbroken stay, doesn't seem any wriggle room a tall. There are hoops to jump through, but no more than a residency visa to North America or Yurp. Inne-resting indeed.

My mother used to say a day you didn't learn something is a wasted day, and my mother was right about that. thanks again for that link, which is way more definite than anything I ever had heard before.

Sorry but you've now dug yourself a hole you weren't even in.

You cannot get a visa from immigration. Nor is that 30-day stamp at the airport a visa. Good for you to confirm my uncontroversial statement that you cannot get MORE THAN 90 days at the airport. Good for you to get immigration to give you a year's stay. But what you got at the airport is not a visa, and what you have from immigration is permission to remain. The ONLY place you can obtain a visa is outside the country -- except in very rare cases when the Foreign Ministry itself in Bangkok is authorised to give you one.

According to you, you got a stamp at the airport, and a permission to remain at immigration. Neither is a visa. The fact that "most people" call them visas is not relevant.

Let me dumb this down for you.

1. I never said that the 30 day entry stamp was a visa as I was a member of this board prior to my 1st visit to Pattaya back in 2001 and learned that here.

2. I have never gotten a Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate here in America or any other country outside of LOS.

3. In September of 2006 I went to the Pattaya Immigration office and got a Non-Immigrant Visa stamped into my passport. It was issued and stamped used about 5 seconds later after I first paid them 2000 baht. Then I was sent over to the Retirement desk and got the Retirement extension stamped into my passport which turned out to be good for only 348 days as they started the one year clock based on the 30 day entry stamp when I arrived at BKK.

4. Immigration at BKK told me to use the number located on my multiple re-entry permit on the arrival card where they ask for visa number.