Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I heard there was some religious festival this weekend and it will mean no whiskey, no funny. Is this true?

Sunday the 23rd is Chulalongkorn Day, I have no idea if it is a dry day or not, either way I will be getting smashed as the Monday is a public holiday.

Thanks for clarifying that issue..I have asked to attend a party by a Thai business owner..

Chulalongkorn Day is definitely not a religious holiday and the bars have never been closed on it in the past.

Evil

:rolleyes:

Close but no cigar.

Yes the 23rd IS Chulalongkorn Day and closures are not normal ..... but

coincidentally it is also Pavarana (วันออกพรรษา - Wan Ok Phansa) the end of the Buddhist 3 month Lent and that IS a religious holiday.

We have already had numerous enquiries from bar owners wanting to rent the boat as they tell me they will be closed on that day.

Cheers :gulp: Admiral Ken

PS. Chulalongkorn Day (วันปิยมหาราช Wan Piya Maharat) is an official Public Holiday on the 23rd - which we know doesn't affect bars but many other things may be closed on the Saturday or replacement holiday on the Monday (for some)

Edited by 2 slices short
coincidentally it is also Pavarana (วันออกพรรษา - Wan Ok Phansa) the end of the Buddhist 3 month Lent and that IS a religious holiday.

Not a holiday. Simply another Buddhist day, and lord (no pun) knows there are lots of them. Lots of folks will go to the temple for a half hour. But if it were important, it'd be an occasion to open the bars, not close them.

It's as certain as anything ever gets in Thailand (i.e. definitely not 100 per cent but approaching it) that bars will NOT be closed for anything this weekend, so you can end Buddhist Lent with a bang.

The Alcohol Control Act only refers to four specific Buddhist holidays, namely; Magha Puja Day, Visakha Puja Day, Asalha Puja Day, and Buddhist Lent Day when alcohol sales are restricted. The remainder, including Pavarana this weekend, are not affected.

Edited by CheshireTom
Not a holiday. Simply another Buddhist day, and lord (no pun) knows there are lots of them. Lots of folks will go to the temple for a half hour. But if it were important, it'd be an occasion to open the bars, not close them.

It's as certain as anything ever gets in Thailand (i.e. definitely not 100 per cent but approaching it) that bars will NOT be closed for anything this weekend, so you can end Buddhist Lent with a bang.

Try reading the whole post for a change and quoting correctly before sprouting rubbish.

... Pavarana (วันออกพรรษา - Wan Ok Phansa) the end of the Buddhist 3 month Lent and that IS a religious holiday.

and

Chulalongkorn Day (วันปิยมหาราช Wan Piya Maharat) is an official Public Holiday

If you wish to dispute that the 23rd is a public holiday I suggest that you ask the following (and a shit load more) to correct their "errors"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Thailand

http://www.thai-experience.org/thailand/th...d-holidays.html

http://www.thaiworldview.com/feast/feast.htm

... and the list goes on

Cheers :rolleyes:: Ken

They are expecting big crowds coming to Pattaya from Bangkok for the extended weekend and celebrations.... they are digging all the roads up especially! :rolleyes:

Edited by jacko
If you wish to dispute that the 23rd is a public holiday I suggest that you ask the following (and a shit load more) to correct their "errors"

Have a read of what I wrote, then reply to it if you wish. That way you can save time by not retyping my words wrongly and AND save face by, well, just getting it entirely right.

I don't "wish" to dispute this, I flat did. I correctly disputed that the 23rd, and indeed Ok Pansa in general on any date it happens to fall on, is, as you so correctly quoted but then failed to understand, "a RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY" (my emphasis this time).

It's not a religious holiday. Not on the 23rd and not on other dates. Simple fact.

What made you think the 23rd is a religious holiday? Every post before yours said it isn't. Every post after it now says it isn't. I'm nosy but curious why you think it's a religious holiday?