Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

The "Only America" Baseball Championship

The "US baseball championship series" :drunk kicked off last night in San Francisco. The expected pitcher's duel between Cliff Lee and Tim Lincecum turned into an 11-7 victory for the hometown team. Giants batters jumped all over the normally dominating Lee in the 5th inning. Not sure how this series is going to go but one thing's for sure, AT&T Park and the city of San Francisco are certainly a picturesque setting.

att-park-sf.gif

att-park-sf2.jpg

Please share your "positive" thoughts and comments on the series here. :tits:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't log in for the past 8 months. Been having trouble with my web browser so tried a new one this past week, and "Shazam!" Back on.   Nice to see someone noticed I was gone.

Posted Images

enjoyed what i understood of the game.

the freak played better than he looks.

however never seen so many men spitting out the side of their mouths for so little exertion. is this just fashion.

sorry can't get upper-case on my keyboard.

I thought I was pretty good picking Atlanta last May to win something. I don't know ANYONE who thought that either one of these teams would be in the playoffs, let alone both of them, let alone the World Serious.

The team that Bush built got where it is thanks to the collapse of the Angels. The Giants had a lot of help from their division's collapse, but they did win when it counted, at least. So when the two "not the best" teams get on the field, as you say, who the heck knows what will happen?

I did notice that the Senators'.... er, Rangers' pitching coach looked worried from Inning 2 last night over Lee, so there was something wrong with him, I wonder what. Never mind, he'll be pitching for the Yankees next year, heh. In the meantime, I'd kind of like to see the Senator.... er, Rangers win this one -- literally the year the Yankees lost the pennant.

(Before they were the Texas Rangers, they were the reincarnation of the Washington Senators. So that's a reference above to one of the greatest slim novels about baseball, The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant, which later became the Broadway musical Damn Yankees. Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets...)

yankeeslost.jpg

Edited by joekicker
The "US baseball championship series" :whistling: kicked off last night in San Francisco. The expected pitcher's duel between Cliff Lee and Tim Lincecum turned into an 11-7 victory for the hometown team. Giants batters jumped all over the normally dominating Lee in the 5th inning. Not sure how this series is going to go but one thing's for sure, AT&T Park and the city of San Francisco are certainly a picturesque setting.

att-park-sf.gif

att-park-sf2.jpg

Please share your "positive" thoughts and comments on the series here. :allright

My hometown is picturesque GO Giants!! :nod

Americans call it "the national pastime". But here's a very nice and short photo essay on what is really the international pastime. And hands up anyone who knew Hugo Chavez is a southpaw.

parmabaseball.jpg

Guy looks a bit taller and slender than Hugo...but who knows....anyway....no doubt who this non American is

CASTRO_AT_BAT.jpg

castro.jpg

But back to southpaws....surely no surprise that Obama is a lefty....

obama_allstar.jpg

but can you name who the only other US President who threw out a first pitch southpaw??

Here is a hint

TRUMAN.jpg

Edited by STARGAZER
but can you name who the only other US President who threw out a first pitch southpaw??

Here is a hint

attachment=41322:TRUMAN.jpg

Gee. That is a tough one!! Was it Clinton?

I feel sorry for Obama - the first US president to throw like a girl. sheesh.

Edited by joekicker

Both sides would have been the outsiders in their respective Championship showdowns. I felt Texas could be difficult opponents for the Yankees but I expected the Philles to win the National League comfortably.

I expected Texas to dominate the World Series but they are now in big trouble 2-0 down. The Texas bats so far have not turned up at all. They need to find form very quickly to turn things around.

The Texas bats so far have not turned up at all. They need to find form very quickly to turn things around.

this is a feeling most Giants naysayers have....

American League fans and people who don't follow the Giants...don't realize that the Giants have the best pitching staff... in baseball...and the Giant pitchers are the reason the Texas bats are silent.

Giant pitchers have shut down the bats of Atlanta, Philadelphia... and now they have silenced the vaunted Ranger offense.

this is a feeling most Giants naysayers have....

Exactly! Only an American League devotee could lament poor old Texas in a slump. I suggest Texas fans (Yankee fans too) haven't been paying much attention to that other league, where the scores aren't so high. There's a reason for that. When you can start Lincecum, Cain and then throw in that Sanchez guy as a spot-starter for the third game, I GUESS the Rangers' bats are going to have holes in them. There is some kinda pitching in the National League anyhow, but the Jernts are tops.

Also, growler, you didn't notice the Texas pitchers gave up a couple of runs, eh? You think you can give up nine runs and beat Sanchez, Lincecum and Cain two, three times? Rub a lamp. That's the real surprise for me, is that the Giants can get 10 runs a game. Of course when your pitchers serve up 16 balls out of 17 pitches....

Edited by joekicker
a moment from game 1 that sent chills up me spine...84-year-old Tony Bennett accompanied by 43,500 baseball fans....

quote]

Very nice! Thank You for the Tony Bennett clip Spike.

Edited by BigusDicus

The Giants not only handled the Phillys and Atlanta, but in the last half of Sept. the Dodgers, Rockies, and the Padres. They were 6.5 games out of first place on Aug 15, and in 6 weeks were the divisional champ. No question they have the best pitching staff in baseball. Four great starters, a great bull pen, and the number one closer in baseball. FEAR THE BEARD! If Texas gets something going at home, the Giants win in 6. A Sweep is a strong possibility.

If Texas gets something going at home, the Giants win in 6. A Sweep is a strong possibility.

I have underestimated the Rangers, but I can't see what THEY get going at this point. Their pitching is pretty average overall at best, and the Giant bats show that pretty well even without four walks in a row. At bat, the Rangers can't hit what they can't see.

Their chances now rest on what the Giants CAN'T get going, and fail at -- mainly, Sanchez and Lincecum collapsing. You're absolutely right that the Giants got everything going in September, got total momentum. They're on a roll. If the Rangers are going to take anything, the Giants have to roll over suddenly. Anything's possible, sure it is. But as of Sunday morning there is almost nothing Texas can do except show up for the game and call on the Obama Gambit - hope for change.

LATER: So the Rangers got PITCHING, finally. If they get some more, it will be a good Series.

Edited by joekicker
Actually,the most entertaining baseball is played in Omaha every June.I started going in the 70's and get back as often as possible.

hmmmmm. I'm very biased towards Triple-A. You could show me to a good college game, I'm sure, but I'd love to stick with the AAA boys, given my choice, which I do not have.

hmmmmm. I'm very biased towards Triple-A. You could show me to a good college game, I'm sure, but I'd love to stick with the AAA boys, given my choice, which I do not have.

I'm taking you off ignore to reply.It's not just a "good college game".It's the CWS.Just like any major league or AAA game is a good game,this is the Series,not just another good game.

Back on ignore.

Back on ignore.

Anyone notice that this forum has the world's worst "ignore" function. Time after time, helpless and hapless posters are forced to read posts, in their entirety, from people they have SPECIFICALLY told the forum software they do not wish to see show up on their screens. That's the part that gets me is that the forum software doesn't let you skip past posts from people you have on ignore, you have to actually read every complete post of those people.

Most forum software, if you put someone on "ignore", then you cannot, physically cannot SEE any post from the person you've put on ignore. You are totally unaware when an "ignored" person posts. But not this pieceaxhit forum software, no sir. You can't do that. "Ignore" means you are actually forced to read every post.

Weird.

A 21-year-old, Madison Baumgardner,...3 months in the majors...shuts out the vaunted Texas offense for 8 innings...eeegadz...Buster Posey "hands down rookie-of-the-year" smacks a 400+ homerun....I'm smelling victory tonight against Cliff Lee.

The Giants are fearless.

This "Ashcon" video is a youtube hit...almost 1.5 million hits....Go Giants!

Don't get cocky spike. You've got lots of time to do your thing when it's over. They're showing 1950s kinescope in that song because there's not a lot, recently.

I'm just saying. They say this Chinese guy Mr Lee can pitch pretty well. Or is he Korean?

Edited by joekicker