Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Heartless or just Tight fisted ?

I helped to organize a fund raising event for the flood victims in Northeast Thailand recently. Farangs were very generous but the local Thais did not want to contribute. One girl I know (go go worker) earned 5,000 bht the previous night (stupid farang) but when asked to buy a raffle ticket for 100bht she ran away like the others I asked. Out of 150 tickets sold Only one Thai bought a ticket and she got the money from her farang friend. We went up to Korat and presented food and goods and also helped out painting and other labour jobs. One night I bought 2 bottles of whiskey, soda, beer etc(my own $$) and tried to have a craic, not easy with the language barrier but was ok. Anyway, next day I was helping clear debris with 3 guys I,d been drinking with the night before. It was hot, hard graft and I noticed them drinking lipo and cold water. I waited to be offered some refreshment and deliberately made out to be very thirsty, but they blanked me and carried on refreshing themselves with not a thought for me !!. Next day We needed a lift to the coach station and were asked to fill the pick up with fuel. Will be a while before I do the same again I,m sorry to say, I've lived here 6 years but saw another side to our hosts, they love taking but hate to give.

I helped to organize a fund raising event for the flood victims in Northeast Thailand recently. Farangs were very generous but the local Thais did not want to contribute. One girl I know (go go worker) earned 5,000 bht the previous night (stupid farang) but when asked to buy a raffle ticket for 100bht she ran away like the others I asked. Out of 150 tickets sold Only one Thai bought a ticket and she got the money from her farang friend. We went up to Korat and presented food and goods and also helped out painting and other labour jobs. One night I bought 2 bottles of whiskey, soda, beer etc(my own $$) and tried to have a craic, not easy with the language barrier but was ok. Anyway, next day I was helping clear debris with 3 guys I,d been drinking with the night before. It was hot, hard graft and I noticed them drinking lipo and cold water. I waited to be offered some refreshment and deliberately made out to be very thirsty, but they blanked me and carried on refreshing themselves with not a thought for me !!. Next day We needed a lift to the coach station and were asked to fill the pick up with fuel. Will be a while before I do the same again I,m sorry to say, I've lived here 6 years but saw another side to our hosts, they love taking but hate to give.

I was gonna slam you on your first fund raising thread but held back because you were doing the right thing.

Now you know better.

Pappy expressed my thoughts.........

I always smile wryly when called khee niaow by a Thai lady.... these people often define tight.

Remember charity is not obligatory and Thais reserve it for friends and family.

As I said "Knob" as in prick who thinks he understands Thai people because he lives in Pattaya.

A bit like like saying you have toured America because you have been to Orlando.

I just love people like you, speak before you think, you are probably the most pitiful of all of those forums and you know nothing at all about me.

My point was valid, the OP said these Thai's are all take and I simply reminded him of a home truth, if fact home truths often getting up the noses of people round here, Otherway used to do exactly the same, the man preached far too much but often had valid points here and there. Unlike him I don't deliberately set out to upset people I simply speak what I believe to be true without pussy footing around.

If you actually believe sex tourists are somehow highly regarded by the people of Thailand, then you and anyone that agrees with you must be the biggest bunch of know sweet fuck all fucktards of all time on forums.

For the record I don't live in Thailand, (although I did used to live in Udon) I don;t beleive I'm some sort of sage on Thailand (people like MM, Joe Kicker and Cheshire Tom are people I'd regard in that calibre) and I'd be the first to tell you that Pattaya ain't the real Thailand.

So in summary, get a clue you complete and utter numpty. :gulp

Edited by กษัตริย์
As I said "Knob" as in prick who thinks he understands Thai people because he lives in Pattaya.

A bit like like saying you have toured America because you have been to Orlando.

If you actually believe sex tourists are somehow highly regarded by the people of Thailand, then you and anyone that agrees with you must be the biggest bunch of know sweet fuck all fucktards of all time on forums.

So Knobhead where did I say that sex tourists are "highly regarded"?

This is not exactly right. Thais give VERY generously, and I'd suggest if you didn't notice that during the recent flood crisis, you weren't watching. There was quite a lot of notice and quite a lot of press noting that the public FAR outshone the government in flood relief -- work and money, both -- although the government gave and is doling out billions.

That is not to say that any individual or any individual effort will succeed, here or anywhere else. But charity is quite a big deal in Thailand, yet another similarity with the US, actually.

I have a feeling this might surprise you a bit but have a read and see what you think: Flood relief without terrible singing

You the farang take their women, they hate you.

Quite wrong. The farang sure don't take their women, and they don't hate you for any reason at all, in general -- "you" plural. Some might hate you personally of course.

Edited by joekicker

Most of you are missing the point of the thread here.Your implying the BM somehow"should have known better". That of course the result was what is to expected as a normal course of events when dealing with thais.

However I think rockyran is merely relating a story that outside of the p4p area where , presumably, a more normal thai lifestyle exists.Even after a night of drinking and sharing of the events of the day,all paid for by the BM, the thais showed zero consideration to the farang.

Further the BM points out that its not just the farangs the thais are ungenerous to, but also to each other.The BG who was cashed up with 5k ran away when asked to give away 100bt.

The imbecile who claims'you take their women they hate you" conveniently ignored the fact that the thais asked to donate refused, even though clearly they could afford to.

That is called 'selective racism' by the experts.

The story is a poignant reminder of some of the cultural differences between thailand and farangs. Those who believe that their generosity is well received because they are "loved" by their thai friends { see the sinsot thread} may need to do some deep thinking.

I work a lot for charity organisations and what I do is a personal thing for me. I expect nothing in return and also expect that some of the money ends up with the wrong people at times but its my choice and just because its not 100% perfect I wont stop doing it. I applaud the OP for his giving but as someone else says you cannot expect the Thais to change their culture just because you have decided to become involved in it.

I'm with you, Obsession. Well done Rocky - I would think that there were some flood victims that appreciated your efforts, even if they couldn't understand why you may have been doing it. A great thought behind a very good deed. :gulp

Pappy expressed my thoughts.........

I always smile wryly when called khee niaow by a Thai lady.... these people often define tight.

Agreed. I was in Pattaya at the time of the Tsunami. Many of the farrang bars were getting up collections to help. I asked several BGs if the Thais were getting up collections as well and always got the same response; a blank look followed by "not my family, their family help them". They just didn't understand why we wanted to help, they didn't seem to have the concept at all.

From my limited experience in Thailand I have come to realise is it a complex culture the same as many other cultures around the world.

Our difficulty is trying to apply our logic.

I am constantly amazed by good and bad aspects of Thailand.

I guess it is just a case of learning what we can but accepting the differences.

On balance I like many aspects of Thai culture compared to the UK and maybe individually we can try to demonstrate and live by the best of all our experiences.

I applaud the good heart the poster gave to the Thai people but as has already been said, expect only the reward will be your compassion and good heart. Anything else is a bonus.

This post is the very reason that this Forum is so good. I learn so much from BM`s experiences and am also pleasantly surprised when occasionally some of my experiences are better ( or appear better).

Please keep up the honest posts and I hope this post is not infected by dumb flaming.

:gulp

Thanks for those positive remarks and all valid. I know I should not have looked for thanks and back slaps, the reward was in helping very poor victims BUT some of the victims we gave out mercy packs to, never even said koopun, just took and walked away. I found that a little hard to swallow but the few that did thanked us was my reward and their smile lives in my heart. Many will think bad of me but in future charity stays at home especially the way my English pension looks against the Baht. :rolleyes:

A footnote to my post. When I returned from Korat I walked back into a ransacked and burgled home.

keep your chin up mate, you done the right thing and recived a couple of backhanders for your efforts , but in the long run people that do right by their fellow man get their rewards

A footnote to my post. When I returned from Korat I walked back into a ransacked and burgled home.

Sorry to hear that Rocky, you did good in raising money for the victims and i am sure that a lot of them appreciated it.

Your story does not surprise me. Thai's are giving as long as they can show off doing it, or get some credit for doing it. That same girl that ran off, may have bought drinks for a couple of Thai girls that same night.

I remember taking a girl to a big Wot 20 years ago. There were many donation boxes thew out the Wot. One of them had a book where you could sign your name if you gave an offering. I didn't see anyone put money in any of the offering boxes, except that one. The lady I was with, gave at that box also. At that time, I learned that Thai's won't give unless they get credit, or someone knows that they gave. I suspect, that if you had done the same, carried a book to sign, where everyone could see that they donated money, you may have had some Thai's give.

We would give to help the victims. Thai's will give to look good to others. If you ever do something like that again, remember that lesson.

• Downvote 2
Well, they say charity begins at home. I'd say most of the TG's that give anything would be helping their own flood effected families or villages.

Exactly. Appeals for donations and collection points had been underway for several weeks before the OP got involved. Quite why anybody would expect the TGs to contribute anything to some anonymous village in Khorat when their own homes/villages in Roi-et or wherever had probably been devastated is beyond me.

We would give to help the victims. Thai's will give to look good to others.

LD, You need one of those trips out to Thailand, too. You've been out for too long. Buses leaving every 15 minutes and you don't need a visa to go to Thailand.

There is not just proof but huge, front-page documentation and in-your-face pride at the huge outpouring of giving in time, work, money and aid for the floods. In fact, foreigners didn't do squat for it, not a thing.

Pattaya didn't have floods, remember?