Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Air Miles - Star Alliance Members

If you are a Star Alliance Member US Airways is offering a 100% Bonus on purchased miles. Example if you by 5000 miles you will get an additional 5000 miles.

You can fly round trip from LAX to BKK for $1,100

If you are a Star Alliance Member US Airways is offering a 100% Bonus on purchased miles. Example if you by 5000 miles you will get an additional 5000 miles.

You can fly round trip from LAX to BKK for $1,100

$1100 is not a great price. I fly from SEA but have been getting flights under $1000. If you check now, you will see them much higher but I suspect (read that HOPE) they will drop after the holiday travel.

My next trip in April is $1060 off Bing with travel Insurance for 5 weeks. Sea-Mnl & Bkk-Sea.

and a lay over in LA.. I would think finding deals out of LA would be easy.

Sorry, I don't want to throw to much water on your fire, but if your short miles and sure can get a ticket with the extra miles go for it. My experance with miles use to be good, NWA, Delta, United, no problems, and got free tickets. But lately its difficult. I quit flying American airlines to Asia because they got expensive. I would hate to buy miles I couldn't use. I have a bunch with Delta and its a PITA to use them. Right now I can't get a ticket for 60/k to Bkk or my trip above, and I have looked until Nov 2011 any day of the week. They want 120/k and that's equal to 2 international trips. I tried to get them to put me on Korean with the long layover coming back.. wouldn't do it.. I'm trying to get a ticket Sea to Florida, they want 40/k traveling weekdays. Next year I should have my Delta membership statis back so I hope they look at my miles differantly. Ya sure...

I would check with others on there current experance using miles on Asiana or United to Asia before I bought miles.

My next trip in April is $1060 off Bing with travel Insurance for 5 weeks. Sea-Mnl & Bkk-Sea.

and a lay over in LA.. I would think finding deals out of LA would be easy.

Sorry, I don't want to throw to much water on your fire, but if your short miles and sure can get a ticket with the extra miles go for it. My experance with miles use to be good, NWA, Delta, United, no problems, and got free tickets. But lately its difficult. I quit flying American airlines to Asia because they got expensive. I would hate to buy miles I couldn't use. I have a bunch with Delta and its a PITA to use them. Right now I can't get a ticket for 60/k to Bkk or my trip above, and I have looked until Nov 2011 any day of the week. They want 120/k and that's equal to 2 international trips. I tried to get them to put me on Korean with the long layover coming back.. wouldn't do it.. I'm trying to get a ticket Sea to Florida, they want 40/k traveling weekdays. Next year I should have my Delta membership statis back so I hope they look at my miles differantly. Ya sure...

I would check with others on there current experance using miles on Asiana or United to Asia before I bought miles.

This past Oct I used 65K United miles for a R/T to BKK from Sacramento, departing on the 11th of Jan. I'll be flying on Singapore, Thai, Thai and UA on that trip. Since I'm retired I do have alot of flexibilty when booking flights.

This past Oct I used 65K United miles for a R/T to BKK from Sacramento, departing on the 11th of Jan. I'll be flying on Singapore, Thai, Thai and UA on that trip. Since I'm retired I do have alot of flexibilty when booking flights.

I agree with Emil. You have to book a FF trip early and be willing to fly on Star Alliance partners for the best availability. Next trip I fly US Air from Philly to Madrid. Pick up Thai to BKK and Lufthansa for the trip back.

I agree with Emil. You have to book a FF trip early and be willing to fly on Star Alliance partners for the best availability. Next trip I fly US Air from Philly to Madrid. Pick up Thai to BKK and Lufthansa for the trip back.

Lucky you! It's your big chance! :nod

Lufthansa flying to New York with the A380

December 15, 2010

John-F.-Kennedy-Airport the fourth Airbus A380 destination

Big Bird flying to Big Apple! Lufthansa is planning to operate flights from Frankfurt to New York’s JFK International Airport with its new A380 flagship from 18 February. Following delivery of the fifth A380 (registration D-AIME, “Mike Echo“), Lufthansa will be using it initially for twice-weekly flights (Mondays and Fridays) to replace the Boeing 747 and Airbus A330 long-haul jets on the existing LH 400/401 city-pair flights. At the same time, the world’s biggest passenger plane will be flying the Frankfurt-Johannesburg connection daily expected from 15 February. Lufthansa is planning to increase A380 frequencies to New York step by step up to daily transatlantic services with the new flagship between Frankfurt and New York, probably by mid-April.

Edited by CheshireTom

Besides the award ticket I got for myself this coming Jan/Feb I got a ticket for a friend in Mar/Apr and he's flying Las Vegas to LAX on UA and then LAX to BKK nonstop on Thai Air. From BKK to Narita on Thai Air, then Narita to SFO on ANA and then to Las Vegas on UA. On my current trip to Pattaya my luggage didn't make the connecting flight to BKK and was delivered the following day. I contacted UA customer service and they deposited 15k miles into my account for the inconvience.

If anyone has miles to sell or book a trip I would be greatful. My dates are extremely flexible and I am looking towards July or August of 2011. Any strategy on finding ff flights from PHL would be appreciated.

If anyone has miles to sell or book a trip I would be greatful. My dates are extremely flexible and I am looking towards July or August of 2011. Any strategy on finding ff flights from PHL would be appreciated.

I have a shitload of Star Alliance miles I would be willing to let go for 1USD/mile.

It's probably more cost-effective than rowing to Ko Lan :rolleyes:

I have a shitload of Star Alliance miles I would be willing to let go for 1USD/mile.

So it would only cost me US$ 60,000.00 for an awards ticket, JFK to BKK return. Check's in the mail. :rolleyes:

No one likes a smartass! Martin, book me a trip from PHL using your miles and I'll pay you $800?

Edited by Tengotodo
No one likes a smartass! Martin, book me a trip from PHL using your miles and I'll pay you $800?

My offer stands.

I'll give you $801 from JFK -BKK :clueless

Cattle class, saver award...if available. Can you travel in 2012? :clueless

I have two Systemwide and four Regional Upgrades on United to sell if anybody is interested. Systemwide Upgrades are good to any destination, Regional Upgrades are good within the US.

When do they expire?

$1100 is not a great price. I fly from SEA but have been getting flights under $1000. If you check now, you will see them much higher but I suspect (read that HOPE) they will drop after the holiday travel.

I hope also but oil prices are rising.

I have two Systemwide and four Regional Upgrades on United to sell if anybody is interested. Systemwide Upgrades are good to any destination, Regional Upgrades are good within the US.

I may be interested in buying all of them. What are you asking for them?

When do they expire?

Two Systemwides expire end of January; I have a third for sale that expires end of March.

Two Regionals expire end of April, two more expire end of September.

I may be interested in buying all of them. What are you asking for them?

PM Sent.

I wasn't aware that you can sell upgrades to another person.

What I learned with systemwide upgrades with UA this year is that not all economy fares qualify. First you have to buy a more expensive economy fare, then your put on a waitlist to see if any business seats are available. Basically its a gamble as you must purchase a more expensive ticket and then wind up sitting in economy if there are no business seats available. Also 1 systemwide for me would allow me to fly from SFO to Narita and then Narita to BKK. However if only 1 leg of that itineary were available that's all I would get and 1 systemwide would be used.

Also what they told me is that if say 10 flyers want to use systemwide upgrade and there are only 5 available they go by status with Global Services first followed by 1K.

I wasn't aware that you can sell upgrades to another person.

What I learned with systemwide upgrades with UA this year is that not all economy fares qualify. First you have to buy a more expensive economy fare, then your put on a waitlist to see if any business seats are available. Basically its a gamble as you must purchase a more expensive ticket and then wind up sitting in economy if there are no business seats available. Also 1 systemwide for me would allow me to fly from SFO to Narita and then Narita to BKK. However if only 1 leg of that itineary were available that's all I would get and 1 systemwide would be used.

Also what they told me is that if say 10 flyers want to use systemwide upgrade and there are only 5 available they go by status with Global Services first followed by 1K.

All correct.

The selling of SWUs is a private matter, between the receiver and the giver of the SWU. UAL does not allow selling or transferring for money, but there are ways around that.

The holder of the SWU can upgrade (or request an upgrade) for a booked ticket online.

As you have pointed out, the lower fare economy tickets are "non-upgradeable".

If you do purchase an upgradeable fare ticket, you are still wait-listed...and might lose your SWU while only getting one leg of a two leg journey upgraded.

The system is much more restrictive than it used to be.