Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Where are you from?

In which region is your country of origin?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am from the USA and currently living in Washington State. Actually Jamie, England did play a small part in the Vietnam War and had 22 British soldiers lose their lives.

Correct, England sent SAS and Artillery soldiers amongst others, also Australian and New Zealand SAS members served there too

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Vietnam/SP.htm

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a US American, I don't want to be lumped with Mexicans, or anyone else from south America. Don't get me started on Canadians with their hockey eh. Wha wha wha.........

Posted Images

And then there is big Bwana MMM, MM(Mate), who knows it all. :grin-jump

Not at all like you, of course. :chogdee

Actually, in this thread, I have acknowledged my initial errors and omissions, and done my best to rectify them while keeping the goal of the poll intact.

You, on the other hand, have done nothing but carp, quibble, and make snide remarks.

But, as I said, thank you for your participation.'

So, what was your point about Greenland?

To put it another way- Left to the Americans, this thread would be pretty quiet. :chogdee

Once an American has voted - his job is done.

It is those who feel they are not able to register their homeland, due to lumping together, that are qualifying their vote by stating their country with a post.

That is why there are so few American posts on this thread- but you knew that didn't you ? :grin-jump

I'm a US American, I don't want to be lumped with Mexicans, or anyone else from south America. Don't get me started on Canadians with their hockey eh. Wha wha wha......... :grin-jump

• Downvote 1
I'm a US American, I don't want to be lumped with Mexicans, or anyone else from south America. Don't get me started on Canadians with their hockey eh. Wha wha wha......... :banghead

:rolleyes:

Not at all like you, of course. :rolleyes:

Actually, in this thread, I have acknowledged my initial errors and omissions, and done my best to rectify them while keeping the goal of the poll intact.

You, on the other hand, have done nothing but carp, quibble, and make snide remarks.

But, as I said, thank you for your participation.'

So, what was your point about Greenland?

My good mate MM, we all make errors at times, so do not get depressed.

What you regard as quibbling, snide remarks and carping, we Australians regard as harmless banter. I am surprised by you thanking me for my participation. Actually, Villa and myself should be paid by you for generating business for your bar. To have prolific posters on your good message board is the whole idea of having a message board in the first place.

I asked the question about Greenland, because I was not sure if Americans think it is part of Northern America and not Europe. Take it easy, my old friend. :banghead

My good mate MM, we all make errors at times, so do not get depressed.

What you regard as quibbling, snide remarks and carping, we Australians regard as harmless banter. I am surprised by you thanking me for my participation. Actually, Villa and myself should be paid by you for generating business for your bar. To have prolific posters on your good message board is the whole idea of having a message board in the first place.

I asked the question about Greenland, because I was not sure if Americans think it is part of Northern America and not Europe. Take it easy, my old friend. :rolleyes:

You know, what is apparent from this topic, is that everyone seems to have a different view of the world, its regions, how groups of land are categorized...seemingly dependent on the origin of the person.

Looking from the USA point of view is different from the Australia or UK or Irish or French views.

The point of the poll was to find out if the Americans/yanks were the predominant population of the board. I then thought it would be useful to do geographic breakdowns, but they weren't all inclusive, some didn't like being grouped with the groups I listed...it's turned into an educational experience indeed.

Next poll to answer the central question will be:

1. Are you from the USA?

( ) Yes

( ) No

:banghead

You know, what is apparent from this topic, is that everyone seems to have a different view of the world, its regions, how groups of land are categorized...seemingly dependent on the origin of the person.

Looking from the USA point of view is different from the Australia or UK or Irish or French views.

The point of the poll was to find out if the Americans/yanks were the predominant population of the board. I then thought it would be useful to do geographic breakdowns, but they weren't all inclusive, some didn't like being grouped with the groups I listed...it's turned into an educational experience indeed.

Next poll to answer the central question will be:

1. Are you from the USA?

( ) Yes

( ) No

:banghead

it would be far simpler to group the good ole USA with where they play the world series

:rolleyes:

Correct, England sent SAS and Artillery soldiers amongst others, also Australian and New Zealand SAS members served there too

Incorrect. No British units were sent to Vietnam in a combat role. There was the normal mishmash of Int/Sigs/Provo at the Embassy in Saigon in a non-combatant role, but that was it. However, there were several Brits serving with both the AUS and NZ forces in-theatre, including several on exchange programmes between the SF units. There certainly weren't 22 British military killed in Vietnam. Apart from anything else, the British military was pretty stretched in the 60s just dismantling the remnants of the Empire.

Edited by CheshireTom
Actually, we fought you guys twice and won. Okay, we had a bit of help from the French at the end of the first match.

But the point of the poll was not to win or lose, it was merely to put paid to the incorrect claims that this is a predominantly American board.

The poll and other sources of information disprove that claim, which is usually put forth by those that have a national whinging trait in their gene pool.

When was the second? We Canooks sent you Yanks packing in 1812. :thumbup

Incorrect. No British units were sent to Vietnam in a combat role. There was the normal mishmash of Int/Sigs/Provo at the Embassy in Saigon in a non-combatant role, but that was it. However, there were several Brits serving with both the AUS and NZ forces in-theatre, including several on exchange programmes between the SF units. There certainly weren't 22 British military killed in Vietnam. Apart from anything else, the British military was pretty stretched in the 60s just dismantling the remnants of the Empire.

I never said that the British sent units there, all i said was that 22 British soldiers lost their lives there.

During the period of US involvement, Britain provided some support. They built the American Air bases in Thailand. Special Forces were also involved on active service. The most highly decorated "American" in the Vietnam War was British. Units were sent from Britain to Fort Dix. At Fort Dix they "resigned from the British Army and re-enlisted in the US Army". After completing their tour in Vietnam, the returning "GI's" were discharged from US Forces and re-enlisted in the British Army on their return to the UK. This allowed Harold Wilson, (the British Prime Minister), to stand up in Parliament and announce "No British Troops are in Vietnam". Twenty two British Servicemen were killed in action in Vietnam. Britain did not help the Americans as such because the British public were against it, this was undoubtedly the worst Anglo-American friendship that any British Prime minister and American President has ever had.

In Vietnam war there was atleast one Finn, Lauri Törni, who later changed his name to Larry Thorne.

In the book The Green Berets by Robin Moore, the "Sven Kornie" main character in the first chapter was based on Larry Thorne. The book was later made into a movie by the same name starring John Wayne.

In Vietnam war there was atleast one Finn, Lauri Törni, who later changed his name to Larry Thorne.

In the book The Green Berets by Robin Moore, the "Sven Kornie" main character in the first chapter was based on Larry Thorne. The book was later made into a movie by the same name starring John Wayne.

Now this I gotta see.

"Get in thuh sauna, pilgrim, or yer dead where yuh stand." B)

Australia had thousands of troops in Vietnam. Lots of infantry and Air Force. New Zealand had less then 700 soldiers. If I remember correctly a artillery battery. South Korea had 50,000 soldiers. PI had around 2 thousand and Thailand was at the 1,000 level. I want to thank all the men and women from the allied countries that supported us in Vietnam. :llaugh

I never said that the British sent units there, all i said was that 22 British soldiers lost their lives there.

During the period of US involvement, Britain provided some support. They built the American Air bases in Thailand. Special Forces were also involved on active service. The most highly decorated "American" in the Vietnam War was British. Units were sent from Britain to Fort Dix. At Fort Dix they "resigned from the British Army and re-enlisted in the US Army". After completing their tour in Vietnam, the returning "GI's" were discharged from US Forces and re-enlisted in the British Army on their return to the UK. This allowed Harold Wilson, (the British Prime Minister), to stand up in Parliament and announce "No British Troops are in Vietnam". Twenty two British Servicemen were killed in action in Vietnam. Britain did not help the Americans as such because the British public were against it, this was undoubtedly the worst Anglo-American friendship that any British Prime minister and American President has ever had.

I was replying to glynbuk, not you.

That said, you'll have to come up with a better reference than a cut and paste from wiki-answers .... or scroll down the page a bit.

Edited by CheshireTom
I was replying to glynbuk, not you.

That said, you'll have to come up with a better reference than a cut and paste from wiki-answers .... or scroll down the page a bit.

You might want to actually read the first reference you posted and that might give you some more

information on British involvement. If you still have trouble, then you might read this from the same website you listed.

MM - on the next poll , just group they according to FIFA! Direct all your questions to them and saves you all the arguments.

Anyway , I would prefer a well balanced forum. Main point of a forum is for different views and local knowledge of what you do not know. Whats the point of a 100% americian or UK forum when you want pictures and first hand reports of locals in Pattaya etc?

MM - on the next poll , just group they according to FIFA! Direct all your questions to them and saves you all the arguments.

Anyway , I would prefer a well balanced forum. Main point of a forum is for different views and local knowledge of what you do not know. Whats the point of a 100% americian or UK forum when you want pictures and first hand reports of locals in Pattaya etc?

You have made a very good point there. :thumbup

Australia had thousands of troops in Vietnam. Lots of infantry and Air Force. New Zealand had less then 700 soldiers. If I remember correctly a artillery battery. South Korea had 50,000 soldiers. PI had around 2 thousand and Thailand was at the 1,000 level. I want to thank all the men and women from the allied countries that supported us in Vietnam. :thumbup

Did you meet any when you had dinner whith andropov................................