Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Home Run Bar and Grill Bangkok

A couple of months ago Mr. and Mrs. Axeslinger planned a trip to Ayutthaya. Knowing Lady Mangosteen is from there, they asked if we'd like to go with them. We gratefully accepted. It was also agreed that we should book into a hotel for a night in Bangkok and visit Stargazer in his new gaff, Home Run Bar and Grill. http://homerunbangkok.com

HR is a sports themed bar and grill with the decor accent on baseball. The basic plan of the bar is an open downstairs bar area with a separate upstairs dining room. The full menu is available in both areas of the bar.

You enter to a row of tall-table seating and a big screen TV.

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

A specials board just inside the entrance lets you know the daily specials and other news.

IMG_2357.jpg

To your right is a pool table, and at the back of the pool table area is the bar.

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

Due to the long drive we were very thirsty. We wasted no time bellying up. :allright

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

The boss held court when he could break away some time.

IMG_2430.jpg

You'll notice that they've taken pains to make sure they have the correct glassware for each different style of beer and drink. To me, it's details like this that show the care the owners have taken to make the experience of being in their establishment as pleasurable as possible. This very close attention to detail is evident time and again during your stay in HR.

We ordered up some food. Axe ordered a burger. When I asked him for a review, he simply said, "The best burger I've had in Thailand. Period."

IMG_2362.jpg

I happened to notice that the specials board proclaimed the day of our visit "Wagyu Wednesday", which meant two Wagyu steaks for the price of one. Fantastic deal. I ordered a rib eye, medium rare, prepared Cajun blackened for myself and a sirloin, medium, grilled for Lady M. I figured she'd be good for about half of hers. Boy was I wrong! :thumbup

While we waited for our steaks, Lady M. took some pics of the bar area and upstairs dining room. First, the bar area from above:

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

Apparel is on offer. The shirts are of a very high quality and quite comfortable.

IMG_2423.jpg

The upstairs dining area. Note the memorabilia on the walls. BTW, the place was still "soft open" at that time accounting for the few customers.

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

The boss of the kitchen popped out and posed for a photo.

IMG_2387.jpg

The steaks arrived. They smelled fantastic.

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

Lemme tell ya what: Those steaks were fantastic! First, and this is important, they were cooked CORRECTLY. What Americans call a "medium rare" steak is a steak that is cooked so that the interior is warm but still red. That was what I wanted and it was EXACTLY what I got. The outside was grilled perfectly and the Cajun seasoning had the perfect amount of "bite". That was one hell of a great steak. I got barely a taste of Lady M.s steak she liked it so much. It was beautifully grilled and again cooked exactly correctly. Both steaks were quite tender with a strong buttery flavor. If you want to know what steak SHOULD taste like, you owe it to yourself to make a beeline to HR!

BTW, Lady Axe had the ribs and said they were delicious too. Clearly the food is worth a trip all on its own.

OK, dinner over, time to socialize! We went outside for a breath of air. A guy (whose name I've forgotten) was sitting out there and he recognized some of us from our pics on the boards (believe he said he was a member of Secrets), so we invited him and his girl to join us.

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

As it got later, the gaffer graced us with his company.

IMG_2403.jpg

The pool table got some use.

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

The friendly staff is always standing by to check the tightness of your girlfriend's rack.

IMG_2413.jpg

Finally, closing time. Axeslinger was very pleased with his bill, and after some CPR was able to pay it.

IMG_2402.jpg

I'll be very honest: I don't remember the exact amount of my bill. It's certainly due to the passage of time since then, and has nothing to do with the barrel or so I drank of high-octane dark beers from around the world. whistle.gif

My impression is that it was around 3500 baht. Before you join Axeslinger on the way to the ICU, consider that we're talking Bangkok here, that was for two people drinking all night, I ordered TWO top-quality imported steaks and was drinking what would be expensive beer anywhere in Thailand. I thought this price represented excellent VFM.

The staff closed the security gate and locked the door. For some strange reason, we were on the INSIDE of the door at the time. So we decided to make the best of it. Things got rather ugly after that.

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

I'm sure we don't need to see a bunch of pictures of guys who were still stone sober after 32,098 more beers and Jagerbombs, so we'll skip to the conclusion. whistle.gif

Home Run Bar and Grill hits it entirely out of the park. Comfortable airy layout, beautiful decor, great pool table, well-stocked bar, attentive service, spectacular steaks and food, fussy attention to detail, well stocked bar, ...what the hell ELSE do you want?! :chogdee

Home Run Bar and Grill. 253/2 Sukhumvit Soi 31 Bangkok. http://homerunbangkok.com (See site for map.)

What can I say? It's fecking great. Well done Mr. Stargazer! way2go.gif

Edited by Bruce Mangosteen
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there, nice but expensive, but i suppose it is Bangkok. it was dead when i was there which bis a pity as it is a nice place, nice cuttlery etc. problem is that it is situated well out of the way in my opinion. Also, when will people in Thailand start using bigger baps and wider burgers rather than the tiny ones they use meaning the burger has to be thicker, harder to eat and with a propensity not to be properly cooked the way i like it, cooked=brown not red.

Thanks for the pics. The food looks excellent, and so do the drinks. Could do with a few more ladies I guess, but then again, it isn't that sort of place, is it? :clueless

...it was dead when i was there which bis a pity as it is a nice place, nice cuttlery etc.
Again, not sure when you were there but it was only soft-open until recently and they hadn't started advertising until recently.

...problem is that it is situated well out of the way in my opinion.
It's in a residential area to be sure, but I think Ron wanted to include residents in his clientele so it made sense.

Also, when will people in Thailand start using bigger baps and wider burgers rather than the tiny ones they use meaning the burger has to be thicker, harder to eat and with a propensity not to be properly cooked the way i like it, cooked=brown not red.
Next time, simply order the burger "well done". I actually prefer my burgers medium or medium rare. Each to his own mate. :D

Thanks for this review and set of pix, Bruce, highly appreciated. I'll go out of my way to try this one out.
Cheers. Get back to us with your impressions.

Thanks for the pics. The food looks excellent, and so do the drinks. Could do with a few more ladies I guess, but then again, it isn't that sort of place, is it? ^_^
No, not a girlie bar. BYOLBFM all the way. :D

From the chefs food reports from his last place, to SGs attention to detail, I will make it a definate place to visit. Thanks for the pics, Ray. :banghead
Cheers mate. Hope you enjoy. Edited by Bruce Mangosteen
Again, not sure when you were there but it was only soft-open until recently and they hadn't started advertising until recently.

It's in a residential area to be sure, but I think Ron wanted to include residents in his clientele so it made sense.

Next time, simply order the burger "well done". I actually prefer my burgers medium or medium rare. Each to his own mate. :banghead

Cheers. Get back to us with your impressions.

No, not a girlie bar. BYOLBFM all the way. ^_^

Cheers mate. Hope you enjoy.

It was a while ago i admit.

It will need some good advertising and people with a lot of money if it is to be a local, but then tehres many rich people in bangers

i did ask for it well done but the burger was so thick(to be the required weight asnd fit on the bap) that coking it through to my liking could only have been done if it was put in an oven. like i said, get bigger baps and make the burgers flatter and they will also be easier to eat.

It was a while ago i admit.

It will need some good advertising and people with a lot of money if it is to be a local, but then tehres many rich people in bangers

The owner of the place used to be the Asia area President for Planet Hollywood, so he probably has a handle on the PR. :banghead

i did ask for it well done but the burger was so thick(to be the required weight asnd fit on the bap) that coking it through to my liking could only have been done if it was put in an oven. like i said, get bigger baps and make the burgers flatter and they will also be easier to eat.
It's a matter of taste mate. I personally prefer them thick and not as well cooked. If you ordered it "well" and it came still pink in the middle, you could have tried sending it back. There you would have no problem with the staff complaining. Also try "VERY well done" that might work! ^_^
The owner of the place used to be the Asia area President for Planet Hollywood, so he probably has a handle on the PR. :banghead

It's a matter of taste mate. I personally prefer them thick and not as well cooked. If you ordered it "well" and it came still pink in the middle, you could have tried sending it back. There you would have no problem with the staff complaining. Also try "VERY well done" that might work! ^_^

maybe thats the american way and if so ok as it is obviouisly an american bistro. i liked the burger and i was on a time limit so couldnt be bothered sending it back and like i say it would have to go into an oven or else be like rubber on the outside.

maybe thats the american way and if so ok as it is obviouisly an american bistro. i liked the burger and i was on a time limit so couldnt be bothered sending it back and like i say it would have to go into an oven or else be like rubber on the outside.
Understood. I'm sure next time you'll get what you want. To be absolutely positive, you can chat with Craig or Ron and they'll make sure your order is filled correctly. :banghead
Looks like a great place and as far as I am concerned the prices aren't out of line for the quality and quantity or the atmosphere. I will definitely give it a try next time I am in BKK.

Thanks Bruce for the review.

Agree :thumbup

Thanks for the plugs Bruce. The website is very incomplete right now but wil be fully loaded with menus and special events beforte our official Grand Opening which will be the SUPER BOWL PARTY on Feb 7, kickoff at 6:30 AM BANGKOK TIME.

We are working to get a world wide live feed done from the Home Run for the Game with collaboration from the NFL/ASN/ and True Visions. That would be what they call in baseball lingo a GRAND SLAM, that is getting my place and brand placed on one of the most watched TV shows worldwide in history!.

the_partyr.jpg

Got this from Ron at HR:

Kitchen is 11:00 to 10:00 PM Sun-Thursday and open till 11 PM on Friday and Saturday. Those are the minimum hours and quite often we will stay open later or open earlier if a major event is on the boob tube!

Bar is open to WHENEVER! Never closes before Midnight!

Looks like a great place and as far as I am concerned the prices aren't out of line for the quality and quantity or the atmosphere. I will definitely give it a try next time I am in BKK.

Thanks Bruce for the review.

up to you, some people will pay over the odds because they think they should.