Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Now, my question is to all you that have left your homeland, ie place you grew up in, has your accent changed to reflect .

People are usually surprised to hear I've been in London for over 20 years as my accent is still pretty strong. It has toned down a bit since

I first arrived and some of the Glasgow words have disappeared from my vocabulary.

One thing I've noticed is that I recognize a Canadian accent (central Canadian) as an accent. Before it just seemed like "normal" English, and everyone else had an accent!

I've also picked up some words used in the English-speaking parts of Europe, like "mate," "nick," "taking the piss" and so on.

I've lived overseas half my life now, so I use international terms for a few things that were invented while I was away, or just before I left. For example, ATM. In Canada these are called bank machines but I use the word "ATM" even when I go back to Canuckistan.

One thing I've noticed is that I recognize a Canadian accent (central Canadian) as an accent. Before it just seemed like "normal" English, and everyone else had an accent!

Another thing I have long noticed is that a Canadian can pick up another [central] Canadian from 50 yards away in a packed party room, but everyone else thinks he's American -- even after they're told. Of COURSE Canadians don't have accents -- right, Doug McKenzie?

Another thing I have long noticed is that a Canadian can pick up another [central] Canadian from 50 yards away in a packed party room, but everyone else thinks he's American -- even after they're told. Of COURSE Canadians don't have accents -- right, Doug McKenzie?

Actually people can tell immediately I'm Canadian. Happened just the other day at the store.

I said to the shopkeeper, "hey, where do ya keep the back bacon, eh?"

The shopkeeper said, "Oh, you must be Canadian!"

I thought that was a bit cheeky and replied, "Oh, just because I ask for back bacon you figured I was Canadian, eh?"

"No," he answered, "Because this is an optician's."

I grew up in the West of England and, in early life, had a West Country (yokel) accent. But I could not pronounce the "n" sound: I used the "m" sound instead. All rather embarrassing when I wanted a bun! So I was sent off to a speech therapist who knocked the accent out of me.

I think I'm fairly good at spotting accents, but I still can't tell the difference between Aussie and Kiwi, and couldn't even when I was living in Aussieland.

I had to, particularly when I went to the USA, my NW UK accent was too much for them. Well actually for the white ones, black guys didn't seem to have much of a problem, go figure.

Born in Canada, naturalized US, 10 years in Eastern and Western Europe, couple of years in SEA. Some people (non-native English speakers) say that I have no accent. I think our accents relate to our current environment. I spent 1 week in Texas years ago and came back with a Texan accent... for a few days anyway.

Whats negative about that :whistling: some blokes will pick up an accent just by walking past the US consulate. i lived in the states for 4 yrs and never got a accent because i didnt want to get one.

I have Pommy and Scottish mates and they have lived here for decades but still have their own accents. reverse that and some blokes would be talking like alf garnet and sean connery :kissing

Edited by judd
Dont you love it when people go to USA for a year and come home with a accent sounding like john wayne. you only pick up a foreign accent if you want to.
Yeah, like a kid does.

:clueless

To somebody from the great plains (middle of U.S.) an accent from Ontario and points east, is fairly noticeable. BTW Folks from the upper peninsula of Michigan have a similar accent.

My fellow wheat farmers from the Canadian plains are a bit harder to pick up on.

wonder if my old girl in your avatar will pick up a pommy accent if you take her to the UK :hairout
That's your mother?.... So you are the son of a ?
Now, my question is to all you that have left your homeland, ie place you grew up in, has your accent changed to reflect .

People are usually surprised to hear I've been in London for over 20 years as my accent is still pretty strong. It has toned down a bit since

I first arrived and some of the Glasgow words have disappeared from my vocabulary.

Never had a stong accent and have been in living in Scotland for 20 + years ,

but still have the scouse twang ,

Joe

whats a pommy accent ?

Joe

I would imagine he means English accent not British (ie Scots,N,Irish or welsh)

I`m from the south of Ireland , and the last time i was in Pattaya (Nov) i was speaking to Americans, English ,German and some Irish (Dublin) who could not understand a word i said if i talked normanaly . I had to realy tone it down