Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 242 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Mr T--Very Unprofessional Service

Made arrangements prior to coming for Mr T to pick me up at the airport. I was arriving at 11pm. The driver met me at the airport which was the best part, and from there it went downhill. The driver didn't seem to speak or understand any English. I told him that I was staying at Canterbury Tales Cafe, and he didn't seem to know or understand where that was.

I texted Mr T and told him where I was going and the driver didn't know where it was. A few minutes later, the driver received a call (I assume from Mr T telling him where to do). The driver took us to Walking Street and indicated that Canterbury Tales Cafe was down Walking Street, so, we (my wife and I) got out with our luggage.

We walked up and down Walking Street asking whoever we could (Tourist Police, Bike Taxis, etc.) where Canterbury was, but no one knew. We are getting very tired of walking with our luggage. It is now around 2am. I found an internet cafe and looked up Canterbury. Got the address and after asking several Bike Taxis, found one who thought he knew where it was. Thankfully, he did, and we got there around 2:45 am.

With hindsight, I should have had the address with me, but with Canterbury and Mr T both mentioned on several forums, I just assumed that the driver or Mr T would know where it was. BTW, Canterbury is about 2-3 kilometers from Walking Street.

Nevertheless, it was very unprofessional of Mr T to have us dropped off NO where near Canterbury with our luggage and expect us to find it. This was compounded by the fact that I am a first time visitor not knowing where or how to get around.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes not the service all the forum hype would lead you to expect

But

If you dont have either any knowledge of where you're going or the means to communicate it even if you did...then sorry its incumbent on you to have done at least a couple of prints of address and a map. (What would you have done if something totally unforeseen had happened like a no show from the prebooked taxi)

I've always found Mr T's drivers to be on time and no hassle.

Did you tell Mr T in your booking request where you were going - that could have sorted a load of problems.

If there is a language problem that works both ways. Bear in mind that the same word in Thai can have 3 different meanings depending on how you say it so a falang word can mean nothing at all.

Taxi drivers are not usually University Graduates and don't necessarily know English, Korean, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi or any of the dialects from Russia.

The rate that bars and smaller businesses open up and close down you cant expect taxi drivers to know everyone.

I would have thought you would have printed this link http://canterburytalescafe.com/pages/contactus.php for your own use once you were there, at the very least.

Edited by wobbly_1
Made arrangements prior to coming for Mr T to pick me up at the airport. I was arriving at 11pm. The driver met me at the airport which was the best part, and from there it went downhill. The driver didn't seem to speak or understand any English. I told him that I was staying at Canterbury Tales Cafe, and he didn't seem to know or understand where that was.

I texted Mr T and told him where I was going and the driver didn't know where it was. A few minutes later, the driver received a call (I assume from Mr T telling him where to do). The driver took us to Walking Street and indicated that Canterbury Tales Cafe was down Walking Street, so, we (my wife and I) got out with our luggage.

We walked up and down Walking Street asking whoever we could (Tourist Police, Bike Taxis, etc.) where Canterbury was, but no one knew. We are getting very tired of walking with our luggage. It is now around 2am. I found an internet cafe and looked up Canterbury. Got the address and after asking several Bike Taxis, found one who thought he knew where it was. Thankfully, he did, and we got there around 2:45 am.

With hindsight, I should have had the address with me, but with Canterbury and Mr T both mentioned on several forums, I just assumed that the driver or Mr T would know where it was. BTW, Canterbury is about 2-3 kilometers from Walking Street.

Nevertheless, it was very unprofessional of Mr T to have us dropped off NO where near Canterbury with our luggage and expect us to find it. This was compounded by the fact that I am a first time visitor not knowing where or how to get around.

Sorry mate you've only got yourself to blame.

Rule number one, know where you're going and how to get there. At the very least make sure you have directions to your destination.

so just by saying Cantarbury tales cafe you expected the driver to know the location. at the very least you should have known which soi it was on. sorry bud, but i have to agree with the rest...it's your own fault.

Glad you finally made it to yer hotel.

Something like this is bound to happen on your first trip...it's like a right of initiation :rolleyes: ...you must of looked a sight... strolling up and down Walking Street with yer luggage....shoulda stopped in Linda bar and asked directions...as they are so helpful there.

I hope the rest of yer vacation was enjoyable. :rolleyes:

Canterbury Tales may have a big presence in forums but in real life it is a small, cheap guesthouse in a small Soi away from the beach, the main tourist roads and hotel areas. It seems unreasonable to expect all drivers to know it and it seems common sense to me to always carry the exact address of where you are staying if you dont actually know it personally.

That said, if you told the taxi people where you were going when you booked then one would expect them to get you there.

Even if you didnt tell them when you booked it is totally unacceptable just to chuck you out on the street at 1am.

You should complain very strongly to the taxi company, demanding a full refund plus compensation, and also complain to the Tourist Police. You probably wont get much satisfaction apart from the pleasure of having made a noise but at least you will have made a noise.

What's funny about this is that Canterbury Tales is just around the corner Frum Mr T s office.

Still, expecting the driver to understand English, know the guest house by name, and not having the exact location at hand was expecting too much. Live and learn.

What fucken muppet doesnt keep at least a note of what soi his hotel is on?

And there's your answer as to why I called you a Muppet!

Lighten up, Esco.

Even if you didnt tell them when you booked it is totally unacceptable just to chuck you out on the street at 1am.

You should complain very strongly to the taxi company, demanding a full refund plus compensation, and also complain to the Tourist Police. You probably wont get much satisfaction apart from the pleasure of having made a noise but at least you will have made a noise.

I'm all for pitching a bitch but what do you expect the Tourist Police to do?

Canterbury Tales may have a big presence in forums but in real life it is a small, cheap guesthouse in a small Soi away from the beach, the main tourist roads and hotel areas. It seems unreasonable to expect all drivers to know it and it seems common sense to me to always carry the exact address of where you are staying if you dont actually know it personally.

That said, if you told the taxi people where you were going when you booked then one would expect them to get you there.

ok, this gave me a laugh.

Police: "Sawatdee Krap."

Tourist: "I want to file a complaint."

Police: "Ok. What happen?"

Tourist: "My taxi driver cannot speak english"

Police: "eh?"

Tourist: "My taxi driver did not know where my hotel was"

Police: "eh?"

Tourist: "I really think you should do something"

Police: "Ok. No problem. 500 baht"

Tourist: "What 500 baht for?"

Police: "Cost 500 baht to file complaint."

Tourist: "Ok, here"

Police: "Ok, good. Now we take care, you not worry. Go your hotel and we call you soon"

Tourist: "Great!"

Did you complain to Mr. T? Did he offer anything to make it right?

Complain about what exactly? :devil :beer

The only thing he could offer to make it right is the advice not to be so stupid and at least have the basic address of your GH/Hotel before you leave home. :thumbup

Complain about what exactly? :devil :beer

The only thing he could offer to make it right is the advice not to be so stupid and at least have the basic address of your GH/Hotel before you leave home. :thumbup

Complain about the poor service, of course. When I've had drivers make mistakes that cut into my vacation, I've had offers for a free return trip to the airport.

If the reservation included the destination, the OP does have a legitimate complaint. But yes, he should have had for info with him to give to the driver.

Complain about the poor service, of course. When I've had drivers make mistakes that cut into my vacation, I've had offers for a free return trip to the airport.

What poor service? The driver picked them up and took them to Pattaya, just because the OP did not even do the basic thing of printing of the map that is displayed on the site or the address or even having a contact number handy why is it the drivers fault?

Sorry this is down to the OP only

??????

If you go to the other side of the world and entrust the conclusion of your journey solely to the vagaries of some Thai taxi driver with no fall back plan

Then either you are extremely naive or one of those types who would starve to death if they found themselves locked inside a Tescos

What poor service? The driver picked them up and took them to Pattaya, just because the OP did not even do the basic thing of printing of the map that is displayed on the site or the address or even having a contact number handy why is it the drivers fault?

Sorry this is down to the OP only

There's fault on both sides. The OP made a reservation. The OP texted Mr. T to let him know that driver didn't know where he was going. Even after Mr. T spoke to the driver, the OP was not brought to the guest house.

Certainly he would have been better off brining a map or the guest house's phone number, but he made a newbie mistake. Mr. T could have ensured that the OP wasn't dropped off at some random location on Walking Street.

Hmm, (wherever possible, and anywhere in the world) I write down the address of any hotel I am booked into, in the appropriate language of the country visiting, to give to the driver of any taxi I use. It hasn't always worked, but generally does. :hairout Nowadays, most of the better hotels have a "print-out" section on their websites to be utilised for such purposes, and it comes in very handy. I guess it all comes with a little experience, and I reckon you won't make the same mistake again. :whistling: In Thailand, some cab drivers can't even read Thai, but with an address in both languages, we usually manage to sort it. :whistling:

Hmm, (wherever possible, and anywhere in the world) I write down the address of any hotel I am booked into, in the appropriate language of the country visiting, to give to the driver of any taxi I use.

I do the same. Plus, before the driver pulls away from the pickup point, I call the hotel on my cellphone and ask the front desk to explain to the driver in the local language how to find the hotel. Then if there's any problem finding the hotel when we reach the destination area, it will just take another call to clarify things.

Evil

:whistling:

There's fault on both sides. The OP made a reservation. The OP texted Mr. T to let him know that driver didn't know where he was going. Even after Mr. T spoke to the driver, the OP was not brought to the guest house.

Certainly he would have been better off brining a map or the guest house's phone number, but he made a newbie mistake. Mr. T could have ensured that the OP wasn't dropped off at some random location on Walking Street.

At the hour he was dropped off, there was no vehicle access to Walking Street or anywhere near Walking Street, nor is there any place to park the taxi without going into a parking lot. Would you expect the driver to park the car and walk with them to this supposed location?

Sure, apparently Mr. T got it wrong as to the location when he was asked to find it himself.

Nothing like this would have happened if the OP had known the address or phone number of the guest house to get directions.

I just can't see any justification for saying this was bad service. They tried to find the place based on the minimal information given (ever heard a Thai say "Canterbury"?). On their best guess, it was on WS. The driver dropped them off as close to the location as possible.

No foul.

I think you've answered this yourself too be honest, A Taxi driver would probably know a hotel but not a guesthouse like this.

A lot of Thai's can't speak English especially drivers same as a lot of farangs can't speak thai.

Glad you got there in the end though.

:clueless

It seems like most of the replies missed the point about being "unprofessional". Yes, it was my fault for not having the address, but how is it professional to drop someone off and indicate that their hotel was down Walking Street, when in fact, it was no where near there. That is not professional, and that was the point of my post.

The driver should have made sure that we got to our destination, which was Canterbury Tales Cafe. I wasn't paying him to get us to Pattaya.

When he dropped us off, I had no idea that Canterbury wasn't down Walking Street. In fact, I tipped him. If he and Mr T didn't know where it was, they should have told me, and I could have done what I did--go to an internet place to get the address for the driver, but they let me to believe that it was down Walking Street.

Please explain how dropping us off no where near where we needed to go and LYING about where Canterbury Tales Cafe was is professional?