Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

This will be my 1st Songkran in the 8 years that i have been visiting Thailand ,I understand April 19th Bell Travel will not operate that day due to songkran Holiday in Pattaya, I was just wondering how out of control is it, and is it a good time to fly to Philippians which i also have not yet visited or head to issan Knon Kean.

This will be my 1st Songkran in the 8 years that i have been visiting Thailand ,I understand April 19th Bell Travel will not operate that day due to songkran Holiday in Pattaya, I was just wondering how out of control is it, and is it a good time to fly to Philippians which i also have not yet visited or head to issan Knon Kean.

It's chaotic wherever there are clusters of beer bars

Example soi 7

However, even shop staff and massage parlour girls will be throwing water...so you will get wet wherever you go in the daytime. Just accept it.

At night it settles down, the exception being on the 18th when the usual night time ceasefire goes right out the window.

It's fun for a few days but it goes on for a week in Patts.

At night time it's pretty much back to nomal however don't expect to go out day time and not get soaked.

Some people love it, others hate it.

Wikipedia says "However, the most famous Songkran celebrations are still in the northern city of Chiang Mai, where it continues for six days and even longer. It has also become a party for foreigners and an additional reason for many to visit Thailand for immersion in another culture"

In Pattaya that means some pissed up tourist will try and blow you away with a high powered water cannon as you walk down one of the Soi's.

After 7 days of this I was glad to see the back of the festival in Patts...in fact I fucking hated it.

Just my opinion though....

Edited by Funky

Water at all times of the day/night :devil

Ruined by many farangs, who do not care who gets soaked or where you are.

Best to go to PI, leave this festival to the idiot farangs

And that weekend you can't get a vehicle in and out of Pattaya in under 5 hours......

the reason Bell doesnt run on the 19th is because some roads are closed NOT because of the maddness. The entire Beach road will be closed so it will be a nightmare for drivers!

I agree with the rest , a few days is fun but 10 days is too long. FYI , this is my 7th straight Songkran! :devil

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

JMHO...after 7 or 8 straight Songkranz...I'm giving the festival a miss this year.

Songkran ain't what it used to be...it's a lot more dangerous now..

.and I'll just leave it at that.

Just wish the farangs wouldnt spoil it for the majority of people.A total bunch of losers who use high powered guns and deliberatley shoot to the eyes and womens pussy.

Every year the cops ban high powered guns and what do stupid faranf do???

Go and buy them,total morons i think.This is my eight years and i love the thai style songkran but hate the pissed up idiot farangs.Its a shame realy as some bars lose money due to these nobheads but plenty of bars away from soi 7/8 who actualy act like human beings and not neandethals

Dread it every year, it gets worse and worse, it should be harmless fun but too many pissed up ferang get carried away and lose all respect for other people.

Good post,u hit the nail on the head,i couldnt think of a word to describe these guys but u did it well

RESPECT

A word lost with some farangs

Just wish the farangs wouldnt spoil it for the majority of people.

This is my eight years and i love the thai style songkran

some farang are pretty bad...but it's not 400-500 farangs who are getting killed on the roads each Songkran.

a distrubing trend I see only at Songkran are motorbikes driven by hopped up or drunk 13-14 year old Thai males with two other passengers hanging on whilst motoring a break neck speeds...and farangs trying to take them out with condom water balloons that don't break....

don't get me started.

some farang are pretty bad...but it's not 400-500 farangs who are getting killed on the roads each Songkran.

a distrubing trend I see only at Songkran are motorbikes driven by hopped up or drunk 13-14 year old Thai males with two other passengers hanging on whilst motoring a break neck speeds...and farangs trying to take them out with condom water balloons that don't break....

don't get me started.

This doesnt happen on soi7/8 mate,we are talking about the event its self

This doesnt happen on soi7/8 mate,we are talking about the event its self

eegadz...soi 8 has gotten really bad...bumper to bumper traffic... cars and trucks with motorbikes zigging and zagging between vehicles...all with pedestrians trying to manuver through the traffic whilst getting pelted...it's not like it used to be with the water fights between the bars across the soi...

unfortunately, someone will get killed by a Songkran vehicle on soi 8 sometime soon.

If you must attend Songkran, just show up for the last day. I think it goes on until after dark and there is more than enough water to last you a year.

My first time in Pattaya was Songkran. I was totally unprepared for the length and type of activity. The Songkran I read about was people gently pouring water on the shoulder(?) and hands. Boy, was my reading material way off.

FatherMojo

You must experience it once and decide for yourself. I love at least one day of fun but it does go on to long in Pattaya, 4 to 5 days with the last day the most frenzied and fun with all of pattaya involved. I was there last year in Soi 7, had a great time, but the days leading up to the main day can get tiresome getting wet all the time.

You must experience it once and decide for yourself. I love at least one day of fun but it does go on to long in Pattaya, 4 to 5 days with the last day the most frenzied and fun with all of pattaya involved. I was there last year in Soi 7, had a great time, but the days leading up to the main day can get tiresome getting wet all the time.

/Agreed on the fact that you just wont know until you get here.

I love songkran. Always have... Less so when I was on Holiday as it did get old going home to get clean clothes on only to be drenched by some drunk falang idiots on walking street just before I get to where I was going :/

Now tho, since I live here, I can just go out and have fun and stay home otherwise, and its a good time.

Either way tho, I would say come on... experience it and see if you like it. Worst case scenario you can bus it up to Bangkok to wait it out.

Tips: Bring ziplock baggies for your phone and money when you go out during the day (the double zip kind), and good solid well built sandles that strap around your ankle. Shoes are a no-go, and the cheap flipflops will end up falling off or breaking, and the ones you can find here are bad quality - most will break after only a day or so of hard use. If you want photos, buy a cheap waterproof camera.

Many thanks for the provided information and Videos I will just go with the flow and enjoy songkran :P

I will be spending Songkran up country this year , its probably been about 4 years since i had my last one in Pattaya. I will never forget as i had an eye infection which migrated to my earholes . One blocked and painful ear + a blood shot eye fucked up my songkran after 2 days ......cost me for eye drops and anti-biotics .......worst of all i had to stay off the booze. Swiftly followed by what i can only describe as the flu .......at the time i thought i had caught avian flu :thumbup

Somtimes the water they squirt is unclean plus it is freezing cold and takes your breath away ........i remember one arsehole who squirted me in the moosh with one of those pump cannons , caught me square in the face ......the force was tremendous and nearly popped my eyeballs . Soon after while i was recovering this bargirl walked up to me and rubbed menthol talcum powder in my eyes which stung like fuck !! :grin

That was the end of my songkran in the resorts :zzz:

I will be spending Songkran up country this year , its probably been about 4 years since i had my last one in Pattaya. I will never forget as i had an eye infection which migrated to my earholes . One blocked and painful ear + a blood shot eye fucked up my songkran after 2 days ......cost me for eye drops and anti-biotics .......worst of all i had to stay off the booze. Swiftly followed by what i can only describe as the flu .......at the time i thought i had caught avian flu :whistling:

Somtimes the water they squirt is unclean plus it is freezing cold and takes your breath away ........i remember one arsehole who squirted me in the moosh with one of those pump cannons , caught me square in the face ......the force was tremendous and nearly popped my eyeballs . Soon after while i was recovering this bargirl walked up to me and rubbed menthol talcum powder in my eyes which stung like fuck !! :huh:

That was the end of my songkran in the resorts :ph34r:

Fuck That !!!!!!!!!!!! :clueless

Edited by villayouth
If you must attend Songkran, just show up for the last day. I think it goes on until after dark and there is more than enough water to last you a year.

My first time in Pattaya was Songkran. I was totally unprepared for the length and type of activity. The Songkran I read about was people gently pouring water on the shoulder(?) and hands. Boy, was my reading material way off.

FatherMojo

Don't they turn the water off at about sunset to try and get things to quieten down (last day).

I recall being turned away from a few WS GGBs as I was wet and they didn't want me dripping on their furnishings.

Songkran is meant to run for a fews days in most parts of Thailand.. But in Pattaya is worse as it runs well over a week, mainly a tourist thing. It's all about money. It can be dangerous on the road, getting infected by dirty water is not good, laptops, cameras & phones need to be protected to avoid water damage, being attacked by drunken locals & tourists alike and some shops are closed over this period...It's neverending even at night they still thow water at you.. I know a few locals who get out od Dodge at this time of year. Nevertheless the last day is the best as they closed Beach Road just to party.. It can be a good time, it's up to you..Once is enough for me..