Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I think there may be a new trend in attitudes of the Baht bus drivers.

Last night i had 20, yes, 20, (i counted them) mostly empty, drive past me while i was trying to get one to stop, some slowed down but when i did not approach the window to speak,they pulled away only to stop further up the road at a group of people. :whistling:

My feeling is that they want groups of people who they can charge 'private hire' rather than single passengers.

My feeling is that gullible tourists (i think you can guess the nationality of the people i'm referring to) who will pay over the odds, seem to be the cause of this new trend.

Before anyone says 'they are just trying to make a living', i understand this but when bus after bus refuses to stop it's annoying to say the least.

Has anyone else noticed this? or is it just me.

I hate it when they are parked up on second road late at night. Not everybody is coming out of walking street.

Three or four years ago I sometimes had a problem getting baht busses to stop. One eventually would, though. Today, I was trying to get one to stop on Second Road and four or five just drove on by before one stopped. Seems stupid on their part. Surely having a passenger is better than not having one at all.

Wasn't there some talk a while back about a light rail system for Pattaya? That might get their attention.

I jumped on a bus 1 morning in Jomtien, November. A group of Russians slowly crossed the road and got on too. Half the way up the hill he stops the bus, gets out and askes the Russians go where? Can't remember how they comunicated but they were going to the peir. He told them 100 or 150 baht each (can't remember exactly). They agreed.

Just before the pier I rang the bell. Got out and passed him 10 bhat through the window and said krup. He smiled and nodded, then he drove another 50 metres with his suckers.

Never had a problem catching a baht-bus on Beach Road, but it's a different story trying to get picked up on Second Road late at night. Nowadays go for the motorbike taxi option instead to get back to the Soi 7/8 area.

I jumped on a bus 1 morning in Jomtien, November. A group of Russians slowly crossed the road and got on too. Half the way up the hill he stops the bus, gets out and askes the Russians go where? Can't remember how they comunicated but they were going to the peir. He told them 100 or 150 baht each (can't remember exactly). They agreed.

Just before the pier I rang the bell. Got out and passed him 10 bhat through the window and said krup. He smiled and nodded, then he drove another 50 metres with his suckers.

Spot on ! I feel they would rather drive with no one on board ready for a group of . . . . well . . . . you've said it now, Russians and get big money for a short trip. single passengers are becoming a nuisance when, if they have no one on board, they are ready to go anywhere for a big fare.

To be honest, i can't blame them, if these people are willing to part with lots of cash, i'd probably do the same too, but it's so frustrating when you are trying to catch one.

P.S. This happened to me at around 9:30 P.M. on Pratamnack road, between V.C. hotel area and the junction with Pattaya Tai, heading north.

Edited by Ergodyne

Last night i had 20, yes, 20, (i counted them) mostly empty, drive past me while i was trying to get one to stop, some slowed down but when i did not approach the window to speak,they pulled away only to stop further up the road at a group of people. :P

My feeling is that they want groups of people who they can charge 'private hire' rather than single passengers.

My feeling is that gullible tourists (i think you can guess the nationality of the people i'm referring to) who will pay over the odds, seem to be the cause of this new trend.

Before anyone says 'they are just trying to make a living', i understand this but when bus after bus refuses to stop it's annoying to say the least.

Absolutely.....

I have had to wait for a baht bus for several minutes after a night out... I normally try to get one after walking through soi 15 to Phratumnak, and catch one going straight across Tai down second rd. You can see them being packed in like sardines across the street to go to Jomtiem, and a similar process is going on across Tai, with dozens of empty busses queueing, blocking the road, and again Thais acting like herdsmen. No chance to flag one there...

Many pass empty, many seem to refuse, they are basically looking for private hires and the 10 baht pickup system (which I believe is their charter) ignored. I have been there 10 minutes sometimes and I look for a bus with 2-3 Thais in and just jump on.

High season antics.

If need be, I can always walk where I want to go.

In Phuket, many people refuse to use the tuk tuks at all, thanks to the antics of the tuk tuk guys. They want 200 baht for a single trip within Patong Beach, for example. That's nonsense.

I've had this problem too -- along Beach road at the Soi 1 area (where my condo is right now). Sometimes it takes 4-5 baht buses before one (already packed with passengers) can be bothered to stop and pick me up. Meanwhile the empty ones just roll on by...

Yeah, I can understand that it makes good business for them to rip off the Russians and whoever else will pay crazy prices for a private hire, but it can really be annoying at times.

So many times I just say fuck it and walk down Beach road instead. It doesn't take much longer (the traffic jam once you're south of Soi 13 or so just keeps getting worse) I enjoy a good walk, and there's a surprising amount of talent working the beach these days. I guess that makes me the winner despite the attitudes of the greedy, lazy baht bus drivers.

A guy I was chatting with before told me he got on a baht bus and was going to go from the lights on 2nd road just above walking street right round the circuit to Dolphin roundabout to walking street and take photos on the way, the baht bus driver got to the tops traffic lights and told him to get off, demanded 50 baht and he continued another 100 yards along and stopped to pick up a load of Asian tourists.

Last night i had 20, yes, 20, (i counted them) mostly empty, drive past me while i was trying to get one to stop, some slowed down but when i did not approach the window to speak,they pulled away only to stop further up the road at a group of people. :clueless

Nothing new about it. It has been going on for years. As much as I like the Residence Garden, getting back there at night became such a hassle I'm hesitant to stay there again.

Edited by Samsonite
Maybe the answer is to prohibit the baht busses from accepting private fares. Force them to do the job they're licensed to do.
Yeah right.... and who will police that?
Nothing new about it. It has been going on for years. As much as I like the Residence Garden, getting back there at night became such a hassle I'm hesitant to stay there again.
It just seems worse this year to me. Trips to Jomtiem were always a hassle but the bog standard back down 2nd rd was previously easy.

It is a tourist town and the locals thrive on ignorance.

Nothing new about it. It has been going on for years.

I totally agree with the OP and was intending to post something similar myself.

I don't agree with Samsonite. I have never noticed it anywhere near as much as now.

I concur, worse at the moment because there are so many Russian/Indian groups about.

Five passed me by at Pattayaland last night before one stopped.

There were two nice ladies from the Philippines on the bus who asked me how much they should pay when they got off with me at Mike Shopping Mall, they got on at the Siam Bayshore, I told them 10 Baht each and made sure the driver actually gave them change from their 100 Baht note. If I was not staring at him through the passenger window, I am sure he would have ripped them off.

I don't bother with the buses much anymore, i'm loving the motor taxis, for a bit more baht and there way faster.

If i do take a bus it's with my bf's of the evening and i'm paying the taxi price anyways but i get the girls to negotiate for me.

Edited by roorsoldja