Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Japan Airlines moves flights to BKK from NRT to HND

Every year it seems it gets more and more difficult to get to Thailand from the US.

Japan Airlines (JA) partner is American Airlines (AA).

JA moved its BKK flights from NRT to HND. This means that if you fly in on its partner airline (AA) you must hike your ass to HND which is a long ways away. And instead of arriving at near midnight (didn't know how good we had it), now you must wait for a later departure and arrive in the AM. Of course you will still have to pay for that night at the hotel that you didn't get to use so that you can get an 8 AM check in.

Now that I think about it, Brazil is in my time zone.

Every year it seems it gets more and more difficult to get to Thailand from the US.

JA moved its BKK flights from NRT to HND. This means that if you fly in on its partner airline (AA) you must hike your ass to HND which is a long ways away. And instead of arriving at near midnight (didn't know how good we had it), now you must wait for a later departure and arrive in the AM. Of course you will still have to pay for that night at the hotel that you didn't get to use so that you can get an 8 AM check in.

Try one of the Asian airlines that leaves the West Coast just after midnight and gets you to BKK in the late morning. If you like arriving at midnight, try United or Delta (the old NWA routes).

Edited by Samsonite
Try one of the Asian airlines that leaves the West Coast just after midnight and gets you to BKK in the late morning. If you like arriving at midnight, try United or Delta (the old NWA routes).

HND is Haneda, the older airport for Tokyo, the one before Narita.. I'm flying JAL (using AA miles) from LAX in Oct, but I doubt this affects me at all. I hope.

And..... wtf can't flights from the US arrive some time other than after 10PM?

I just double checked and JAL has 3 flights a day from Tokyo. 2 Flights are from Narita 11am and 6:05pm. The one flight from Haneda leaves at 1:10am.

The topic on flyer talk was related to the poster taking a flight from Bangkok to Honolulu on JAL. Unfortunately for the return trip, the guy booked BKK-NRT, HND-HNL. The poster booked his flights online and apparently picked Haneda as his departure airport to Honolulu.

FYI - It is about 90kms from Narita to Haneda and you have a choice of hopping on a couple of trains or taking the bus.

Haneda is one of the busiest airports in the world and from January to November 2010 they did about 59 million domestic/international passengers while Narita has not hit 31 million.

The daytime flights from the international terminal at Haneda are short haul flights to China, South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan. From 10:30pm until 1:30am there are 15 long haul flights to Honolulu, Singapore, KL, SF, LA, Paris, NY and BKK. Then from 6:25am to 6:55am there are 3 long haul flights, Singapore, Detroit and NY(JFK).

FatherMojo

Alias - You can arrive at BKK at mid-day from the US if you fly out at midnight from LAX. EVA does that, and I think Thai air also has a flight along those lines.

That is an excellent tip. Thanks. It would be nice to arrive in the morning.

Thai airways is Star Alliance, and a recent spazout on credit card signups left me with 180,000 Star Alliance miles, or about 3 trips USA-BKK.

Alias - You can arrive at BKK at mid-day from the US if you fly out at midnight from LAX. EVA does that, and I think Thai air also has a flight along those lines.

Out of SFO, China Air (Taiwan), EVA, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Air all have flights that leave somewhere between Midnight and 2 am. The first three will get you to BKK by late morning or around Noon. Singapore Air takes a few extra hours.

Out of SFO, China Air (Taiwan), EVA, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Air all have flights that leave somewhere between Midnight and 2 am. The first three will get you to BKK by late morning or around Noon. Singapore Air takes a few extra hours.

I used Singapore Air all the way to BKK only once - it sucks.

Since then, if flying Sing Air, I switch to Air Asia in HKG, works out to about the same price, but much better arrival time.

I used Singapore Air all the way to BKK only once - it sucks.

Since then, if flying Sing Air, I switch to Air Asia in HKG, works out to about the same price, but much better arrival time.

How do you book the trip? One round trip to HKG with SIA and one round trip from HKG to BKK? If so, is there a way to check your bags all the way through so you don't have to go through Customs in HKG?

Stop insisting on using USA carriers... they are crap anyhow.

SQ have frequent flights to Bangkok.

How do you book the trip? One round trip to HKG with SIA and one round trip from HKG to BKK? If so, is there a way to check your bags all the way through so you don't have to go through Customs in HKG?

If Singapore and Air Asia have an Interline Agreement they will move bags and handle reservations on each other without necessarily codesharing. Many airlines have interline agreements for this sort of thing. You show them your reservation HKG BKK and they check the bags through. They may issue a boarding pass though the transfer desks at HKG will of course do that.

From LAX there are non stops on Thai so the fare or service would have to be terrible to justify flying with a connection anywhere vs. nonstop.

You have to get your bags and go through customs but it is a good way to kill a bit of the 4 hour layover. You'll never wait more than 5 mins to go through HKG customs.

...From LAX there are non stops on Thai so the fare or service would have to be terrible to justify flying with a connection anywhere vs. nonstop....

I've thought of that, but can't imagine spending 17-18 hours in one of those flying cigar tubes. By the time we get to the airline's hub in Asia, I'm very happy to be able to get off the plane and walk around for an hour or two.

You have to get your bags and go through customs but it is a good way to kill a bit of the 4 hour layover. You'll never wait more than 5 mins to go through HKG customs.

Thanks. I may try that.