Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Chance to Buy...Sould I Do It

Could I sleep that well near to a window 12 floors up? :whistling:

More seriously, buying a condo has it's worries. A major one for me would be the managemeent 'team' and expensive maintenance charges that you have little control over. Renting might be best!

Or large numbers of owners never paying their fees so the building, and your investment, go to rack and ruin.

Amazing that with all the info available thru the net these days , that people still seriously consider such a proposal.

As humans we tend to emphazise the goods things and ignore the bad things when sub consciously we WANT to do something.

" built to western standards" is an example- thats what you want to believe is'nt it?

I make the following points

1.Why do you want to pay 100% to "own" 49%?

2. why is it below build cost of 8 years ago? What is wrong with it? How do you know what the build cost was 8 years ago? Why is build cost even relevant- has the market dropped that much?

3. If you are 3/4 years away from retirement why do you want to take such a risk? If it were all to go wrong what is the impact on you?

4. why do you want to make such a move in a country that is notorious for making it difficult for foreigners? If you were 35/40 yo then sure, because you have time to recover.

5. If you wanted or had to sell it in a crisis situation { you need the cash fast} what is the market like for such a property.Its already selling below cost, in 8 more years will it be even further below cost?

6. If you bought it and it turned out to be shoddy what would the repair cost be?

Plenty of foreigners have bought property in thailand with few issues.Maybe you can be one of those.Maybe not.Be so very careful.

What is wrong with renting? Invest in your own county and rent.That is the option with flexibility and low risk.

All the best with your decision.

\

That's an excellant analysis. The OP can and hopefully will digest it. It's first and foremost dangerous to buy in a foreign country that offers limited protection to foreign buyers. At best it may be OK but the pitfalls are pretty harsh.

Joe, Tom???

\

That's an excellant analysis. The OP can and hopefully will digest it. It's first and foremost dangerous to buy in a foreign country that offers limited protection to foreign buyers. At best it may be OK but the pitfalls are pretty harsh.

Joe, Tom???

Amen

Joe, Tom???

It's up to you and som nam na. The only thing I recommend for house buying is that you know everything you can about the house and land, and about the business deal. Have a lawyer and a banker, both. Get lots of advice.

You have to live somewhere. I settled on a house. I wouldn't dream of a condo, and I think that owning is better than renting. That's me. I paid off the house and I haven't paid anything to anyone for Thailand housing for a long time, bar very nominal taxes. So far as risk, well, risk comes with life. A risk-free world just makes me want to throw up. But that's me.

Second, though. There is actually in the real world little risk of owning a home in Thailand. There are horror stories but there are horror stories about everything. Yes of course there is risk, but there is risk of a typhoon or an arsonist or an airplane crash on your house, too. There is LITTLE actual risk to owning a house in Thailand. Be straightforward - do everything on the up and up, nothing bad is LIKELY to happen.

If you're going to live in Thailand you have to live somewhere. There are lots of choices. What's great for me may put you off. Up to you and som nam na.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

If you go about it properly you won't get your fingers burned.

I bought a new house, up north, over five years ago. Three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Land was bought in wifes name, and I went to lawyer to get a 30 year lease on land, extentable for a further 30 years. This might be going overboard, but i'm the belt and braces type. You can also buy a condo. The builders are allowed to sell a certain percentage of a building to non Thais.

As for the build of the property, mine is a lot better than some houses i have lived in, in other countries. And i am happy with it. Which is all that matters to me. The price was just under 1 million B.. for house and land, incuding a lot of furniture, curtains etc.. Was the first house built, on estate, and they wanted to get bums on seats. The electrics were all wired correctly. Having taught Electrical Wiring for the last 17yrs. of my working life. Also the wiring reg in 2006 in LOS, for new housing estates was altered, for the benefit of the buyer. Earths etc. must be included, but please get checked. Also if bought you can do anything you want with your own house, in LOS, if you have a look around you will see what i mean.

If i rented the house, at 10,000B per month in 2005, at 71B to the pound, and from last year to under 50B to the pound. As i got money from home, I would have paid for my house in less than 7 years of rental, assuming rental did not go up in this time, if your lucky. plus i would have a house worth nearly 2 million B, Was offered that 4 months ago, but would not sell. So i would have now paid for house, if i rented it, and made another landlord happy.

Oh, forgot to say a friend of mine, who runs a building firm at home checked it out for me. No major faults with it. And not built like some people say. Wonder if these people have bought a house here.

Did not buy to make a profit. If anything happened to me the wife will have something to fall back on. She also has a two bed brick built home in Korat.

Yes if you have the money buy. Don't know about morgages so cannot comment. Houses and land are on the rise where i am in LOS.

Keep a landlord happy rent.

This............. :thumbup Did the same thing I did. House for wife and kids to fall back on. Built by reputable Thai builder. Do your research and take your

time.

To the OP when you make the decision tell yourself there is no WHINING if it goes belly up.....Deal with the decision you made if you can't then don't.

Looking at the way Thailand is changing, I would prefer to rent...you can walk way.

If I had a partner, I would consider buying..assuming I was comfotable with trust and all that...whole new can of worms..lol

Looking at the way Thailand is changing, I would prefer to rent...you can walk way.

If I had a partner, I would consider buying..assuming I was comfotable with trust and all that...whole new can of worms..lol

If you had a partner, you might just be better off with the renting option.

Or a condo in your own name.

Hell hath no fury and all that............... relationships flounder, often.

If you had a partner, you might just be better off with the renting option.

Or a condo in your own name.

Hell hath no fury and all that............... relationships flounder, often.

NEVER EVER put a Thai girls name to your investments. If you fall out, and you usually do, kiss your dosh goodbye and go home empty handed like many many men. Always have that card in YOUR pocket. If you intend to live here, go the company way, IN YOUR NAME !!! :D

Before you commit yourself do you really like Hua Hin and would you be happy there in the future? There have been lots of conflicting opinions about living in the town in threads on several forums about Thailand.

Hua Hin is a great town. No sense comparing it to Pattaya, they are completely different.
There is plenty of sense comparing it to Pattaya if planning to settle.

Too many put Pattaya area down due to it's naughty boy image.... well there is certainly more to it than that. I think a golfer would like it here for example.

The nightliufe, well it is like the sea, there if you fancy a dip.... nice to look at if you don't.

Edited by jacko
It's up to you and som nam na. The only thing I recommend for house buying is that you know everything you can about the house and land, and about the business deal. Have a lawyer and a banker, both. Get lots of advice.

You have to live somewhere. I settled on a house. I wouldn't dream of a condo, and I think that owning is better than renting. That's me. I paid off the house and I haven't paid anything to anyone for Thailand housing for a long time, bar very nominal taxes. So far as risk, well, risk comes with life. A risk-free world just makes me want to throw up. But that's me.

Second, though. There is actually in the real world little risk of owning a home in Thailand. There are horror stories but there are horror stories about everything. Yes of course there is risk, but there is risk of a typhoon or an arsonist or an airplane crash on your house, too. There is LITTLE actual risk to owning a house in Thailand. Be straightforward - do everything on the up and up, nothing bad is LIKELY to happen.

If you're going to live in Thailand you have to live somewhere. There are lots of choices. What's great for me may put you off. Up to you and som nam na.

Good post and very true, :allright

I think you work in los though mate, and are maybe even Thai, and definately not a sex tourist or sexpat? You are in the Bkk area as far as I remember. Totally different than say, buying a male middle aged sex tourist rental in Patts, imho. Especially as they curtail the scene in favour of families. off topic, I know, but I thought it relevent to seperate the different markets as some aren't as sussed as you and invest without any research.

Both above posts are true, but depends what your circumstances are, and what you are looking for. If settling down, then you look at a different market, and area..not Patts.

If you want fun, and not want to pay rent all the time, especially if you are a long stayer, buying a small condo makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Both above posts are true, but depends what your circumstances are, and what you are looking for. If settling down, then you look at a different market, and area..not Patts.

If you want fun, and not want to pay rent all the time, especially if you are a long stayer, buying a small condo makes sense.

Thats the bottom line, if you stay anywhere long enough you save what were rents 25 years ago to now ?

As Patchike said, you know you are investing inb Los with all it brings work your numbers , whats your view about total loss etc.

Some rent some buy, one thing is for certain anywhere those who cant afford to buy will not they dont have the option.