Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I stopped in at Mike's yesterday afternoon around 2pm. Nice enough gaff to look at. First off, as we were walking in, a table of two was being served. I particularly noticed the "small" portions being served. Right off the little bells start ringing in my mind. I then take a look at the menu and prices. I found the prices to be expensive compared to my favorite Mexican restaurant in Soi 7.

Also to be noted, there is NO FREE CHIPS AND SALSA! I had to pay 150 baht for what I get for free at my favorite place. The chips came covered in table salt. There is no better way to ruin good corn chips than to cover them in table salt. The salsa was bland. We engulfed it with Tobasco so it was edible, and even then we didn't finish the chips and salsa.

I ordered a frozen margarita. It came, and again not up to par with the place on Soi 7 in my honest opinion. It also took a lot longer to get it, than it does at the other place.

Short story short. I finished my margarita, and the person with me finished their cola, and we went to Soi 7 to eat Mexican food. To those that think this place serves the best Mexican in Pattaya, you must be crazy.

I wont be back!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have not been to Mike's Mexican for a few months. I have always enjoyed the food and ambiance of the place. The last order I had was a large burrito which was more than I could finish. Will be ba

There are few pathogens that get you sick in 2 hours. Certainly not E.Coli for which you'd take a quinilone like Cipro and which would give you the trots. You didn't say what violently ill means, assu

I haven't read the whole thread, however I'm sure it has been mentioned: Tequila Reef Cantina on Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Rd (http://shar.es/WBUND); excellent Mexican, Cajun, and all-American food and a ve

Posted Images

I stopped in at Mike's yesterday afternoon around 2pm. Nice enough gaff to look at. First off, as we were walking in, a table of two was being served. I particularly noticed the "small" portions being served. Right off the little bells start ringing in my mind. I then take a look at the menu and prices. I found the prices to be expensive compared to my favorite Mexican restaurant in Soi 7.

Also to be noted, there is NO FREE CHIPS AND SALSA! I had to pay 150 baht for what I get for free at my favorite place. The chips came covered in table salt. There is no better way to ruin good corn chips than to cover them in table salt. The salsa was bland. We engulfed it with Tobasco so it was edible, and even then we didn't finish the chips and salsa.

I ordered a frozen margarita. It came, and again not up to par with the place on Soi 7 in my honest opinion. It also took a lot longer to get it, than it does at the other place.

Short story short. I finished my margarita, and the person with me finished their cola, and we went to Soi 7 to eat Mexican food. To those that think this place serves the best Mexican in Pattaya, you must be crazy.

I wont be back!

Your first clue should have been Mike's instead of Miguel's

If that is the place down the road from the Residence Garden, then that is too bad. I ate there many times last year and it was VERY good and the portions where HUGE. Oh well.... :whistling:

If you like it, please don't let my personal feelings and report put you off Mike's. I have been eating at Tequila Reef in Soi 7 for over 10 years. A mexican place is going to really have to knock my socks off to change my mind about my favorite Mexican eatery in Pattaya.

Tequila Reef is OK. So is the Blue Parrot. Those are the only two places I've found to have OK Mexican food (for Pattaya). Every other place I've tried was pretty much horrible.

Tequila Reef is OK. So is the Blue Parrot. Those are the only two places I've found to have OK Mexican food (for Pattaya). Every other place I've tried was pretty much horrible.

Ouch, Blue Parrot is almost uneatable. I have always found Mikes food good. My only bitch with them is, they don't have any Thai food on the menu. It's tough to get a Thai lady to even try farang food, much less eat and enjoy it. The second thing I didn't really notice until my girlfriend said something about it, they use to much salt. Most Mexican food is salty anyway, but it was gross to my girlfriend, and once she mentioned it, it tasted to salty to me as well.

I order the larger dishes, so have never had a problem with small portions. Some things I won't eat there because I can get them at Tigglebitties for less, and it's just as good or better, and they have Thai food for the girlfriend.

I have not been to Mike's Mexican for a few months. I have always enjoyed the food and ambiance of the place. The last order I had was a large burrito which was more than I could finish. Will be back soon. :whistling:

• Upvote 1

Tequila Reef has nothing on the quality or portions at Mikes. Not sure what you ordered... likely an appetizer.

I'm a fairly good size bloke and I can never finish my meals there - always leave stuffed. It is a bit spendy compared to some places, but well worth it IMHO.

TR on Soi 7 does not taste near as good, tho their sloppy nachos are better... I think thats the only thing better IMHO.+

Tequila Reef has nothing on the quality or portions at Mikes. Not sure what you ordered... likely an appetizer.

I'm a fairly good size bloke and I can never finish my meals there - always leave stuffed. It is a bit spendy compared to some places, but well worth it IMHO.

TR on Soi 7 does not taste near as good, tho their sloppy nachos are better... I think thats the only thing better IMHO.+

Fair enough. I am just merely stating my personal opinion as you have stated. You still can't defend degrading a good corn chip with table salt can you? Plus, at Tequilla Reef the chips and salsa are free.

I never noticed the salt to be honest... if there was any, it was only a very very small amount, and I ordered a side of chips with every order (I like using the beans for bean dip =P)

It has been a long while since I was at tequila reef... Will give it another go in the next few days. I love mexican food... I do hope they are better then I remember.

I never noticed the salt to be honest... if there was any, it was only a very very small amount, and I ordered a side of chips with every order (I like using the beans for bean dip =P)

It has been a long while since I was at tequila reef... Will give it another go in the next few days. I love mexican food... I do hope they are better then I remember.

Yep, I also use the chips to scoop up the beans. I put some tobasco on the beans and a little salsa. LUVERLY! At Tequila Reef you don't have to order a side of chips, as they are free.

While I truly enjooy the food at Tequila Reef, I will admit there are some things on the menu that are not up to scratch. If you know what they are, all you have to do is order something else on the menu that you know they do well. I find that their burritos are not as good as they were say 8-10 years ago. The burrito selection and preparation needs to be improved.

What I personally recommend at Tequilla Reef:

Hard shell soft shell tacos (pork or chicken) the beef is not nice in my opinion

The chicken salad

the mexican soup

the chili burger

the chili dog

the BBQ ribs

the BBQ chicken

sloppy nachos LUVERLY!

frozen margaritas are THE BEST in Pattaya

The texas style steak was good the last time I had it

Sizzling fajitas (chicken) the pork has become funny tasting with the fajitas, and the beef has a good taste but has always been a bit chewy.

I have good Mexican food almost every day.............

When I'm in town,the soi 7 location works for me.

Edited by LTGTR

I had one of my worst chilies ever a few years back at T.R. it was more like a bowl of soup ! The girl i was with ordered a Thai dish, we had a basic drink each and a bill of around 500B i have not been back since.

Has the place changed hands, or did i just catch a bad night ?

I had one of my worst chilies ever a few years back at T.R. it was more like a bowl of soup ! The girl i was with ordered a Thai dish, we had a basic drink each and a bill of around 500B i have not been back since.

I can not comment on the chili on its own. I have never ordered it. The chili they use on the sloppy nachos is great, as well as on the chili hot dog and chili burger.

I also can not comment on the Thai food, as I would go to a Thai restaurant for Thai food, and have never ordered Thai at Tequila Reef.

I just ate at TR two days ago, and I had the two hard shell taco set, and my friend had the sizzling fajitas. I had a couple margaritas. The bill was right around 900 baht I think?

If you mention you are a forum member, and fill out a short form, you can get a discount as well.

I can not comment on the chili on its own. I have never ordered it. The chili they use on the sloppy nachos is great, as well as on the chili hot dog and chili burger.

I also can not comment on the Thai food, as I would go to a Thai restaurant for Thai food, and have never ordered Thai at Tequila Reef.

I just ate at TR two days ago, and I had the two hard shell taco set, and my friend had the sizzling fajitas. I had a couple margaritas. The bill was right around 900 baht I think?

If you mention you are a forum member, and fill out a short form, you can get a discount as well.

Thanks for that, i'll give them another chance. I took a girl there with me as she wanted to try Mexican food but ended up ordering a Thai dish (what's that about leading a horse to water) :poke

I think you might of had a bad night, as every time I have had the chili it was very thick and filling, a meal in itself.

I eat at Mike's Mexican every trip. Once I even ate there 3 straight days for lunch. Their tacos and burritos are just as good as any we have in California. I think you got off on the wrong foot with the place and ordered the wrong thing.

Ouch, Blue Parrot is almost uneatable. I have always found Mikes food good. My only bitch with them is, they don't have any Thai food on the menu. It's tough to get a Thai lady to even try farang food, much less eat and enjoy it. The second thing I didn't really notice until my girlfriend said something about it, they use to much salt. Most Mexican food is salty anyway, but it was gross to my girlfriend, and once she mentioned it, it tasted to salty to me as well.

I order the larger dishes, so have never had a problem with small portions. Some things I won't eat there because I can get them at Tigglebitties for less, and it's just as good or better, and they have Thai food for the girlfriend.

Blue Parrot uneatable? Granted, the place wouldn't last long in San Diego, but for Pattaya, it's OK. One plus: I've never gotten sick from eating the food there.

Blue Parrot uneatable? Granted, the place wouldn't last long in San Diego, but for Pattaya, it's OK. One plus: I've never gotten sick from eating the food there.

I ate at Blue Parrot once. I have never been back. I found the food to be greasey and barely fit for human consumption. On a positive note about the place, I think the Blue Parrot has the best salsa in Pattaya.

had a meal in tequila reef last saturday fortnight,

quality was very good and the thai food seemed to be up to scratch too

plus the frozen margherita had a pretty decent kick

• 1 month later...

Last time I ate I Mike's, within 2 hours I was violently ill. Since I had both salsa, and a chimichanga covered in tomatoes, I am sure it was from that. Tried 1000mg of Cipro to no avail. Finally ended up in the clinic getting an IV of antibiotics, but still felt bad an entire day more. Never again.

Last time I ate I Mike's, within 2 hours I was violently ill. Since I had both salsa, and a chimichanga covered in tomatoes, I am sure it was from that. Tried 1000mg of Cipro to no avail. Finally ended up in the clinic getting an IV of antibiotics, but still felt bad an entire day more. Never again.

There are few pathogens that get you sick in 2 hours. Certainly not E.Coli for which you'd take a quinilone like Cipro and which would give you the trots. You didn't say what violently ill means, assuming vomiting that would not be a normal symptom of E.Coli (which comes on 24-72 hours anyway - not two). That explains why Cipro didn't work.

If you ate chicken it could be Salmonella , nope, that is more like 8 hours to a day to come on. Not two hours.

Shigella takes well over 2 hours, botulism you'd be dead so it was in all honesty something eaten elsewhere, excess drinking, bacterial or viral gastroenteritis (infected elsewhere) but this myth that you eat at 12 noon and have "food poisoning" at 2 is mostly a myth.

Though it doesn't prevent evidence-less accusations of a restaurant.

Edited by ricktoronto
  • Upvote 1