Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Taxi's during Songkran?

Last year, on the 18th, I drove a car on 2nd Road from Pattaya Tai to Pattaya Klang, and it took 2 hours to get to Pattaya Klang and get the hell out of town.

Then, Pattaya Klang was jammed up totally, and it took another half hour to get to Sukhimvit.

This was about 3 in the afternoon.

I think there will be gridlock inside Pattaya from the north to the south parts. Plan for a long journey once you reach town.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18th last year was sunday. This year 18th is monday so there might be a ease in the traffic.

Hell was 2 and 3 years ago when 19th was the saturday and sunday. Everyone from Bangkok was coming to Pattaya for the big day!

INSIDE a small area of Pattaya, the 19th is the big day. Everywhere else in Thailand, the Songkran holiday is 13-15 April. Lots of people will take the weekend, but Songkran is completely over for Thailand except a tiny bit of Pattaya-Jomtien by Sunday the 17th.

That's why "roads in and around Pattaya" won't be gridlocked, even though in a part of Pattaya they might or might not be.

The Songkran holiday for Thailand ends on the 15th, not the 17th or 19th. That's why there will not be a problem getting transportation of your choice at the airport, why there won't be a driving problem TO Pattaya. Once in Pattaya, depends where you're going, and on which day of the 17, 18, 19. There WILL be traffic inside Pattaya, but not everywhere, and the problem -- if any -- will be centered in different places each of those days.

Yes. It does not have its Songkran holiday on the 18th. The Songkran holiday is April 13 everywhere. The official Songran holidays are April 13-15 everywhere. Local people have local festivals, as said. It's a tag-on to Songkran but it's not Songkran. The Thai New Year (Songkran) is April 13.

Its pretty obvious that most people posting suggestions here have not been here for Songkran.

Sukhumvit, as well as ALL roads in to pattaya, will be gridlocked with traffic moving slower than those walking on the side of the road on the 18th and 19th - moreso on the 19th.

Sukhumvit is gridlock from the second road in to Naklua (I forget its name) until around Soi 87 (opposite Makro shopping center - other side of Jomtien).

Not sure about the 18th, but on the 19th the regular bus service did not run last year. No big busses came down sukhumvit at all - so even the Rayong-bkk line must have taken an alternate route around pattaya. I was on sukhumvit for 2.5 hours last year on the 19th and saw no busses at all, and even on the motorbike I could not move much faster than those walking.

Of course those few hours may have been the worst of the worst... but there you are.

If I were you Jamie I would hire a taxi if nothing else to get you to Naklua.. there is a hotel there on Sukhiumvit just on the outskirts of it that you can stay for 2 nights, then you can motocy taxi it to pattaya... but not with your bags. You CAN get a taxi to go to DD... but from Naklua to DD will take 2+ hours most likely, and the best route would be Suk to Pattaya Klang, then 3rd road to Soi XZyte, then down to DD from there.

Frosty has been in Pattaya for several Songkrans and is 100% correct. Not sure where Joe pulls out his version of the world but it is obvious that he has not been there during that time. Even Bell bus service states:

"Bell Travel Service in Pattaya will not provide a pick-up or drop-off service between Bell Office and hotels in Pattaya due to Songkran Festival in Pattaya" city.

You might be out of the airport at 9am, but you most likely wont hit outer Pattaya at 10:15am. You see, the motorway is free to all during Songkran. This means that most Thai people that normally wouldn't use it, are all using it. You will be lucky if the trip takes you less than 2 1/2 hours. You will most likely hit Pattaya at Noon, just as the festivities hit the street.

"Most Thai people" will be at work on April 18, and the highway is free until noon on the 18th when the tolls resume.

I arrive the 17th at 1030 at BKK , what's the opinion on how bad the first day will be? Do you think Mr. T's drivers know detours around the congestion to where RG is? With fast track at BKK I could be on the road by 11 am. But it is Sunday which portends to be popular.

I arrive the 17th at 1030 at BKK , what's the opinion on how bad the first day will be? Do you think Mr. T's drivers know detours around the congestion to where RG is? With fast track at BKK I could be on the road by 11 am. But it is Sunday which portends to be popular.

Good luck on the detours. :whistling:

Ship your luggage to the Hotel and carry only a backpack so that you can get out of the taxi and grab a motobike when the traffic is backed up!! :whistling:

Not a bad Idea you had about staying in BKK.

There will be gridlock. When you get to that point, you can get out of the taxi, bus, or van and jump on a motorbike taxi for the rest of the way in. That is if you are not bringing a huge amount of luggage. I would consider just bring a backpack, and your carry on. Shirts, shorts, saddles, and toilet items can be bought cheap here. If you want to take more home with you. Next to the Lek hotel on second road is a place where you can buy the biggest piece of luggage allowed on an international flight (with out paying extra) for less than 1000 baht. Being able to motorbike taxi threw town could save you several hours on your travel time. Refer to MM's post. Good luck

Actually, I find Songkran one of my favorite times of year to visit Bangkok. thumbup

It's not an option for the OP, who is arriving several days after Songkran ends in Bangkok. And the airport. And the highway to Pattaya.

Frosty has been in Pattaya for several Songkrans and is 100% correct. Not sure where Joe pulls out his version of the world but it is obvious that he has not been there during that time.

Not sure why you think frosty and Joe said two different things. Joe said it would NOT be jammed between Bangkok and Pattaya, and that getting TO Pattaya would not be a problem -- although there were likely to be traffic jams IN Pattaya. Frosty said there will be traffic jams IN Pattaya. Why you think these are two different versions is what I'm not sure about.

Edited by joekicker

Use

Mr.Virach songklam [keak_vr@hotmail.com]

Never had a problem, always reliable.

Used at least 15 times.

081-3401365.

-Taxi from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya 1,000 Baht include toll.

-Taxi from Pattaya to Airport (discount)900 Baht include toll.

Picking me up on Monday 12 th April.

It's not an option for the OP, who is arriving several days after Songkran ends in Bangkok. And the airport. And the highway to Pattaya.

Not sure why you think frosty and Joe said two different things. Joe said it would NOT be jammed between Bangkok and Pattaya, and that getting TO Pattaya would not be a problem -- although there were likely to be traffic jams IN Pattaya. Frosty said there will be traffic jams IN Pattaya. Why you think these are two different versions is what I'm not sure about.

Easy Joeseph. Do you need someone to pat you on the back? :thumbup

INSIDE a small area of Pattaya, the 19th is the big day. Everywhere else in Thailand, the Songkran holiday is 13-15 April. Lots of people will take the weekend, but Songkran is completely over for Thailand except a tiny bit of Pattaya-Jomtien by Sunday the 17th.

That's why "roads in and around Pattaya" won't be gridlocked, even though in a part of Pattaya they might or might not be.

Its pretty obvious that most people posting suggestions here have not been here for Songkran.

Sukhumvit, as well as ALL roads in to pattaya, will be gridlocked with traffic moving slower than those walking on the side of the road on the 18th and 19th - moreso on the 19th.

Sukhumvit is gridlock from the second road in to Naklua (I forget its name) until around Soi 87 (opposite Makro shopping center - other side of Jomtien).

Ahhh sure :clueless :clueless

"roads in and around Pattaya" won't be gridlocked" is the same as "Sukhumvit, as well as ALL roads in to pattaya, will be gridlocked with traffic moving slower than those walking on the side of the road" :clueless :clueless

Edited by ttk
Easy Joeseph. Do you need someone to pat you on the back? rolleyes

Nah. Just reading what I wrote and commenting on THAT would not only be sufficient, it would be a major step forward for some of the cowboys here, not all by any means, but some.

"roads in and around Pattaya" won't be gridlocked" is the same as "Sukhumvit, as well as ALL roads in to pattaya, will be gridlocked with traffic moving slower than those walking on the side of the road" clueless clueless

Like this, Stinky.

ttk, do you really think "around Pattaya" is the same as "in Pattaya"? You don't, do you? Otherwise you wouldn't use both of them?

On the 18th of April, you (and the OP of course) will be able to get TO Pattaya from the airport. There is no reason to think there will be any gridlock on any of the various roads AROUND Pattaya that could be involved in that trip. There IS reason to predict that some of the roads IN Pattaya will be quite busy, maybe even gridlocked in some case(s).

But I said that in my very first post on the subject.

I hope Mr. T's driver knows Pattaya well enough to find various ways around towards RG. Maybe RG is a good choice for the first few days away from mayhem assuming he can get me there.

I hope Mr. T's driver knows Pattaya well enough to find various ways around towards RG. Maybe RG is a good choice for the first few days away from mayhem assuming he can get me there.

I think you should be relatively ok arriving on the 17th. Sure its going to be slow when you hit central Pattaya though. The last day of it will be the worst for traffic.

I think you should be relatively ok arriving on the 17th. Sure its going to be slow when you hit central Pattaya though. The last day of it will be the worst for traffic.

Doesn't help me though does it, I arrive on the 18th. :clueless :clueless

Yes. It does not have its Songkran holiday on the 18th. The Songkran holiday is April 13 everywhere. The official Songran holidays are April 13-15 everywhere. Local people have local festivals, as said. It's a tag-on to Songkran but it's not Songkran. The Thai New Year (Songkran) is April 13.

And all that nitpicking and semantics has no relevance to the OP getting stuck in traffic due to revellers who think that they are enjoying songkran water throwing festivities, despite having being told not so by you!
Looks like I'm gonna need it :clueless :rolleyes:

If anyone is travelling southbound towards Pattaya and happen to notice a crazy falang running down the centre of the motorway wearing a Newcastle United top, cargo shorts, stupid lookin hat with back pack & dragging a case, well don't be alarmed, I've popped a Few tabs and taking matters into my own hand

:bhappy :bhappy :clueless :clueless :clueless

It wont be the first time ive seen someone matching that description in Thailand. Good Luck :D

And all that nitpicking and semantics has no relevance to the OP getting stuck in traffic due to revellers who think that they are enjoying songkran water throwing festivities, despite having being told not so by you!

Any reason you didn't quote me as writing that? (Yes, of course there's an excellent reason.)

What is this "relevance" bullspit? Must I now start calling you on posts that are not precisely relevant to the OP? Surely not!!!

Sadly I must agree with Joe, the 18th will be business as usual in Pattaya and traffic won't be any more congested than usual.

Edited by Fondles
Sadly I must agree with Joe, the 18th will be business as usual in Pattaya and traffic won't be any more congested than usual.

I arrive on the 18th as well as based on past experiences , it'll not be normal but it wont be as bad as the 19th. Just going by Bell's service , you will see that even the local businesses are expecting 19th to be jammed.

It not just the extra cars and people but also the diverted traffic as Beach Road will be closed in the day time 19th April ; am to 7pm if memory serves me right.

PS You guys need to find a new hobby!

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk
As I said, Naklua will be having their day. Likely to be some affect.