Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

China Garden Restaurant and Hotel .

This restaurant is directly opposite J&P Court hotel in soi Lenke. You can't miss it.

Ting Tong Tony from the Drunken Duck recommended it to me and I was round there like a shot. I miss English style Chinese food badly.

Anyway, I took Miss Thumbs Up from Soi 6 last night for a romantic meal.

It looks lke it's going to be expensive from the outside but in fact it's quite the opposite.

First thing that strikes you is the beer prices. Really cheap. We were drinking draught Asashi 1/2 pints for 60 baht. It was lovely.

I ordered the deluxe meal for 2 that costs 495 baht.

Prawn crackers to start. We sat there enjoying a beer with them.

First was the starters. My god it was enormous. Chicken satay x 4, massive spare ribs with sauce, prawn toast, and 2 large spring rolls. Really nice.

Next was my favorite crispy duck pancakes. It was unbelievable how much duck was on the plate.

We were both stuffed but had to make room for the next installment crispy shredded beef, sweet and sour pork and special fried rice. It was monster.

No way could we eat it all. We came out seriously stuffed and just went home. No chance of drinking more beer anywhere.

The owner seems like a decent fella and came over to ask if everything was ok.

All in all a really nice place to eat. I wouldn't take a TG to be honest. All they will do is moan that it's not spicy. You are better off going wth a mate.

Total bill was 675 baht. Well worth it.

It's not exactly the same as UK but I'd say close enough. It was the one type of food that I've missed and never been able to find. It wasn't that busy but I expect that will change when word gets out.

Edited by Mirkwood
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, a cyber warrior who insults people from behind the safety of his screen.   The problem with people like you is that you lack education. You are that stupid that you think calling a Pakistani man

And of course your avatar is perfectly acceptable. I suppose its 'only a laugh'. Make it more relevant and change it to Buddha or perhaps a central figure from the Quran, Muhammad for example. Hilari

Agree with MM   stop sidetracking this thread   And your previous avatar was much more offensive than calling anyone a chink You sir are the one who is uneducated and BTW I would say this to you

Posted Images

OK, I might have got the name wrong but this restaurant is directly opposite J&P Court hotel in soi Lenke. You can't miss it.

I think it's the new China Garden Restaurant and Hotel .

I went by there today on Soi Lengkee. It looks very nicely done.

Until I read your post again, where you weren't sure of the name, I was still looking around for a Golden Dragon...almost had an accident or two gawking along on my motorbike trying to read all the signs.

Sounds great, by the way.

• 3 months later...

Visited China Garden last month on 2 occasions. Once with my BF. The other to celebrate my mates BG's birthday. I loved the ambience and the service, I can't afford this back in Oz. My BF helped me out with my spicy shredded beef. I know it's knew but I felt like I was dining in a classy restaurant. I will be returning next year.

I've also tried the place since reading the OP, and can confirm it deserves support. Really tasty food and enormous helpings, it's a struggle for 2 to finish that set meal. Definitely going back there, highly recommended.

I think it's the new China Garden Restaurant and Hotel .

I went by there today on Soi Lengkee. It looks very nicely done.

Until I read your post again, where you weren't sure of the name, I was still looking around for a Golden Dragon...almost had an accident or two gawking along on my motorbike trying to read all the signs.

Sounds great, by the way.

Thanks for the link...again.

• 2 months later...

Absolute great feed. Crispy shredded chili beef is fantastic. Chinese food Western style if that makes sense. Will definitely go back many times.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at China Garden a little over a week ago (hotel report still coming) and ate there once. I would have eaten there again, but took a cooking class for 2 days and both days had no appetite left over for eating by the time I came back.

Upon arriving at China Garden, I had some time to look around. The first thing (and one of the most important) is how clean the restaurant is. From the dining area, to the kitchen to the toilet. The place is clean. That's the first and most encouraging sign, if you have a chance to look at a restaurant before it opens.

CIMG3986.JPG CIMG3987.JPG

CIMG3989.JPGCIMG3988.JPG

The night I ate there is was lightly busy, but I tend to eat earlier than the average nightlife person, so I may have been early in the dinner seating. Now this is an English style Chinese restaurant and I had no idea what that meant, but I'll clarify for Americans. This means Chop Suey is on the menu. That's neither good nor bad, just different if you are used to popping into San Francisco Chinatown for Chinese food.

I ordered the crispy special noodles (76 on the menu I believe), which was fried noodles with a Chop Suey based sauce, if I remember the description correctly.

Before the order arrived, I was served a bowl of (do they call this Prawn Toast in England?) shrimp chips, as I grew up knowing them. It was a sizeable portion and they were quite excellent. Very tasty, not oily, and very well done.

When the noodles arrived, the dish was comprised of two parts. The noodles, which were sort of like fried wonton skins, but as long as noodles (perhaps they were flat egg noodles fried)

CIMG3993.JPG

and the bowl of chop suey.

CIMG3994.JPG

Here's the entire spread, including the prawn toast.

CIMG3995.JPG

What I found was the dish was prepared well, served hot and the ingredients top quality. You can tell when the kitchen is serving wilted ugly vegetables or cheap frost burned shrimp and I'm going to tell you...you're NOT going to find any here. Everything was fresh, the broccoli was firm, green and tasty, every ingredient had good flavor. The sauce was equally good, showing care in preparation. A good soy based sauce is not hard to prepare, but is also easy to mess up if the kitchen doesn't care. It was very tasty, had good texture and consistency and was nicely balanced.

One surprising ingredient was the bamboo shoot. It was unusually tender and tasted very fresh and mild. Really enjoyed it.

Bottom line is that even though Chop Suey is like foreign food to this Chinese-American, it was excellent and impressed me enough that I will certainly eat at China Garden in the future. I hope to try some of the dishes I'm more (traditionally) used to like the duck and see how that fares, but knowing that they take the time and spend the money to use good ingredients and prepare their dishes carefully assures me that my future experiences will be good ones.

CIMG3996.JPG

Edited by voracious