Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Re: if sending money to los why not cheques

Val/Crackpot ,

The only nationwide accounts I can see on their website,

other than the flex account is the cashbulider account.

All the rest seem to be savings accounts.

Is this what you have ???

I have 2 flex accounts and they are both Visa backed.

What account are you using ??

Cheers guys.

Sparkey

Yes I saw that their cards were Visa backed despite what the old lady said. I also saw the minimum charge for transactions too.

I think Valentinova has the OAP, pension account. ;D

• 2 weeks later...
They do have a cash withdrawal fee of 1% though

Do OAP's get a discount  ::)

Wrong again, Crackhead! No cash withdrawal fee or Foreign exchange commission.

The basic card is the one you get if they decide not to grant you a full current account. This has been the case with someone I know that came from Scandanavia a short time ago and applied for an  account.

I sure you could request the card specifically.

Here's the link again; http://www.nationwide.co.uk/banking/curren...n/cash_card.htm

It is NOT Visa backed. Only Cirrus and Maestro. Nationwide do not take any withdrawal fee or foreign exchange commissions.

I'm sorry that I took so long to reply. I had forgotten all about this thread.

Crackpot

You still haven't answered about your 'much trumpeted'(by yourself) Travel Agency.

When will people see that this guy, Crackpot, is FULL of hot air?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fatboyfat
Wrong again, Crackhead! No cash withdrawal fee or Foreign exchange commission.

The basic card is the one you get if they decide not to grant you a full current account. This has been the case with someone I know that came from Scandanavia a short time ago and applied for an  account.

I sure you could request the card specifically.

Here's the link again; http://www.nationwide.co.uk/banking/curren...n/cash_card.htm

It is NOT Visa backed. Only Cirrus and Maestro. Nationwide do not take any withdrawal fee or foreign exchange commissions.

This card is NOT useable in ATMs other than specific LINK ATMs in the UK. Sparkey1 has been correct all along in this thread, according to Nationwide on the phone this morning.

Dear Fatboyfat

I am writing to let you know that you have been misinformed by whomsoever you have spoken with.

Said card(I will repost the link); http://www.nationwide.co.uk/banking/curren...n/cash_card.htm

IS useable abroad. I repeat, IS useable abroad.

Look for cash machines that have the CIRRUS sign(possibly MAESTRO too).

The may not be as populous as VISA, though I have seen many in Thailand.

Same conditions as the full service card; No Forex commissions and no cash withdrawal charges.

Have fun.

This card is NOT useable in ATMs other than specific LINK ATMs in the UK. Sparkey1 has been correct all along in this thread, according to Nationwide on the phone this morning.

Like I said the old windbag'  probably got the OAP account for pensioners.

I think its called the 'slippers and cardigan account'

But you musnt question Valentinoxious, He's old and he knows everything dont ya know !!

Dear Fatboyfat

I am writing to let you know that you have been misinformed by whomsoever you have spoken with.

Said card(I will repost the link); http://www.nationwide.co.uk/banking/curren...n/cash_card.htm

IS useable abroad. I repeat, IS useable abroad.

Look for cash machines that have the CIRRUS sign(possibly MAESTRO too).

The may not be as populous as VISA, though I have seen many in Thailand.

Same conditions as the full service card; No Forex commissions and no cash withdrawal charges.

Have fun.

God, you DO go on and on and on dont ya.

Just like my Grand dad used to do.

I know that everybody is talking about the Nationwide cards, but I use a Halifax debit card (switch, cirrus, maestro) for all cash withdrawals, and a visa card for all hotel, medical, emergency bills. This means that I dont spend stupid amounts on commission, and that I dont have to carry silly amounts of cash.

I even resent having to carry travellers cheques to show liquidity and dollars for when I have been really stupid. Thus is the tangled web I have woven to be with the rest of the reprobates on Saturday.

Regards, Andy

God, you DO go on and on and on dont ya.

Just like my Grand dad used to do.

Easy now, CrackHead  ::)

This forum is for the exchange of information.

For people who cannot get a full account, the cashcard is a useful resource.

It can save you £40 or more over £1000 pounds. A useful saving.

Also, you are not penalised for withdrawing small amounts. so, if you are at the airport and need to withdraw 500 baht for airport tax.... You are charged for exactly 500 baht at 'wholesale' rates.

Unlike the......

I know that everybody is talking about the Nationwide cards, but I use a Halifax debit card (switch, cirrus, maestro) for all cash withdrawals, and a visa card for all hotel, medical, emergency bills. This means that I dont spend stupid amounts on commission, and that I dont have to carry silly amounts of cash.

Regards, Andy

You may not be spending stupid amounts of commission, but you are paying £1.50 for EACH withdrawal  plus a commission of 2.25% with the Halifax.

Get yourself a Nationwide account for travel.

"Halifax Bank

Charges for using your card abroad

If you use your card abroad, the amount of the transaction will be changed to pounds sterling on the date we take it out of your account. This may not be the same date that the transaction is carried out. We'll choose the exchange rate that applies and we'll include a conversion fee of 2.25% of the amount of the transaction. We will also deduct a service charge of £1.50 from your account immediately for each transaction."

Guest Fatboyfat

Just to put that in perspective.

I have both Halifax and Nationwide Debit Cards and due to circumstances had to use the Halifax one for a cash withdrawal at the same time as the Nationwide.

2 lots of 200 pound exchanges. The Nationwide produced 436 Baht extra !

hi guys its me sinbinjack as you can see i started this thread and after some sensible information it degenerated into a new off topic argument i have removed my origonal post but still it goes on  please dont use me or my posts for your pointless arguments i have no wish to be involved in any way even vicariously

jack

Just got my bank statement from Barclays, 20,000 baht ATM withdrawal cost £4. 25 charge on my connect card. Still not sure if it's my bank or the ATM outfit who cop the money.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well Said sinbin....

in truth I "DO" get a giggle reading the antics of the guys and i "Really" belive as and when they meet up a few well meaning pints will change hands.

But "Sometimes" the gang are getting good info here and the "In House" bickering can lose the thread.

Before anyone has a go at me for voicing my opinion, I feel I don't "Know" any of you guys well enough to slang you off so this aint meant in that vein.

cheers guys...... :D

jack