Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

You may or may not know (or care) but I have recently taken up Golf in an effort to get some excercise. This a recent development since my last trip to Thailand last January, so I haven`t played in Thailand yet. I`m hoping to get at least one days golfing on my upcoming holiday. So what can I expect in terms of availability, will the courses be packed? Can I hire equipment easily enough? Will it cost an arm and a leg? Any info from folks in the know appreciated.

Tee times are usually no problem - and if one course is taken, go to the next, there are lots.

Equipment rental is usually dismal at best, though. If you're really taking up golf, you're really going to have to get clubs. Some pro shops have horrible sets for rent, some have none at all. Even borrowing is usually more reliable. Someone may suggest a course or two with decent clubs for rent, but I've been to a lot of courses and seldom seen good ones. That goes double or triple for driving ranges which pretty well never have rental clubs.

Pro shops, the department stores and the like can fit you out with a beginners' set, plus shoes, balls, tees, a couple of gloves and so on. I wouldn't use "cheap" as a descriptor, but you can get outfitted without breaking the bank. Or borrow a friend's clubs if possible - although many-many of them really don't want to lend their precious clubs.

Tee times are usually no problem - and if one course is taken, go to the next, there are lots.

Equipment rental is usually dismal at best, though. If you're really taking up golf, you're really going to have to get clubs. Some pro shops have horrible sets for rent, some have none at all. Even borrowing is usually more reliable. Someone may suggest a course or two with decent clubs for rent, but I've been to a lot of courses and seldom seen good ones. That goes double or triple for driving ranges which pretty well never have rental clubs.

Pro shops, the department stores and the like can fit you out with a beginners' set, plus shoes, balls, tees, a couple of gloves and so on. I wouldn't use "cheap" as a descriptor, but you can get outfitted without breaking the bank. Or borrow a friend's clubs if possible - although many-many of them really don't want to lend their precious clubs.

Thanks Joe, but I think you may have misunderstood part of my post. I already own all my own equipment here at home, I`m not planning to buy gear in Thailand.

Well if you're not bringing clubs, you'll have to pick a course, call the pro shop and ask about rentals and (probably) repeat.

The rest of the gear is roughly US prices, maybe a tad more. You pretty much have to have a caddy of course. Carts are somewhere near 700 baht a round, roughly - more or less.

You may or may not know (or care) but I have recently taken up Golf in an effort to get some excercise. This a recent development since my last trip to Thailand last January, so I haven`t played in Thailand yet. I`m hoping to get at least one days golfing on my upcoming holiday. So what can I expect in terms of availability, will the courses be packed? Can I hire equipment easily enough? Will it cost an arm and a leg? Any info from folks in the know appreciated.

1. No problems about availability - easy to book but best fun is to go with a group of guys. There are plenty of bars organizing golf days. One of the better ones that welcomes shit learners like myself is Yates Bar on Soi 13/2. The owner is called Eddie and he is a really good player. I think regular trips are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Pop in the bar and have a beer with Eddie a couple of days before and he will explain / sign you up.

2. Cost vary depending on which course but usually THB 1,000 to around THB2,000 all in for a days golf. Going in a group usually means someone has a Pattaya Sports Club membership and the group gets the PSC discount. Yates don't put a mark up on the costs, simply divides the cost of the transport and the green fess by the number of people.

3. Courses are fantastic in Thailand. Good luck with it.

http://www.theemeraldgolf.com/index.html

http://www.buraphagolfthailand.com/golfcourse.htm

+ many more just google

Edited by som nam na

If you are only playing once Phoenix used to have some really nice gear for hire. Phoenix is quite expensive but as a one off no more than a special lady for the night.

Some of the bars hire golf equipment but this tends to be an assortment of odds and ends some of which you may have spotted on Antiques Roadshow.

If you have just started the golfing bars will not appreciate someone shooting 150 plus mulligans on their competition days.

If you need a bit of practice there are numerous ranges around Pattaya - Fairways is the best I have seen and they may be able to hire you stuff - plus you would be able to practice with the clubs you would be playing with.

There are 9 hole courses at Asia hotel and Bang Saray. Bang Saray being about 200 baht plus caddy last time I was there

As for 18 hole courses if you are a beginner stay away from Khow Kheow, St Andrews, Pleasant Valley and Emerald - try Phoenix, Crystal Bay or Greenwood

But as with everything - up to you

Edited by wobbly_1
Thanks Hub, bookmarked this site, I will be using them when I am in Chaing Mai!

Ditto on the recommendation for Solar. Their office is just off the lobby at Tara Court Hotel. They've been doing this for years, know all the courses and their management very well, and have it down to a science. About they only thing you'll have to do is show up; they take care of the rest.

Ditto on the recommendation for Solar. Their office is just off the lobby at Tara Court Hotel. They've been doing this for years, know all the courses and their management very well, and have it down to a science. About they only thing you'll have to do is show up; they take care of the rest.

That sounds like just the level of service I am looking for!