Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Using my Motorola phone from USA

I have an old phone it is a Motorola star tack. From reading there is something called a sim card? I have to imagine it is something that changes the configuration of your phone? We don't have them in Las Vegas so I have to guess. I read that some phones can and some will not.  Alsov stores in Thailand sell minute’s thank you Ramster  one week to LOS!! [smiley=3some.gif]

Your old Startek most likely will not work as it probably is not a GSM phone.  Keep in mind that the United States is years behind Thailand (and the rest of the world) in mobile phone technology.

If it is GSM you will have to have it unlocked so that a new SIM chip can be used in it.  This can be done in LOS.

You can pick up a used phone in Thailand for as little as 1500 baht.  A SIM for pre-paid service costs 400 Baht and then you can buy more airtime at any convienence store.

-Vox

Ramster,

Your motorola star-tac will only work if it is a tri-band -(worldphone). I supect that your cell phone is not.

You would be better off buying your cell phone in Thailand. If you wish to use your cell phone back in the states, you will then need to buy a tri-band phone which will probably set you back around 3500b for a used one.

Vox thank you. So if I buy a used phone and a sim total around 2000bt I am good to go?  Can I get one in Bkk and use it later when I go to Pattaya?  

Absolutely.  I bought a Nokia phone in MBK for 2000-3000 (I saw phones under 1500 though) and got a "1-2-call" sim for 400 baht (includes 100baht of airtime).  I got a local number that I had no problems with in Bangkok or Pattaya.

It is very easy to do.  Go to MBK (or whatever place sells phones--MBK has a HUGE selection).  Buy a SIM first.  You get to pick your number.  There are VIP numbers that contain "lucky" digits that cost more.  Just get a regular one unless you want to impress the BG's with all the 7's in your number.

Next look around for the phone you want.  When you find it ask them to put the SIM in and put the menu to english.  You can then try the phone out then and there to make sure it works fine.

If at any point you want to upgrade your phone you just take the SIM card out and put it in the new phone. (this also allows you to use your "phone" by borrowing someone elses and swaping the SIMs--say if your battery goes dead and you don't have your recharger with you).

The 1-2-Call phone cards are available in every 7-11 I've ever seen in Thailand and a lot of other places as well.  You buy the card, scratch off the code and dial it in to add the money to your account.

-Vox

I set my Australian mobile phone on international roam and take it to Thailand, leave it turned on and plugged into the charger in my room and use the second hand nokia I bought at big C as my Thailand mobile.

I leave a message on the land line fixed phone answering machine in Australia advising my email address and Australian mobile phone number to use with SMS.

Any calls made on my Australian mobile number get diverted to my mobile. A little expensive but my family can always get in touch with me.

Also if you return to Thailand at 3 or 4 month intervals you can top your 12 call card up and it will stay current for a few months depending on amount of top up. You retain the same number. Mine is current till Sept 2004.

John

I have an old phone it is a Motorola star tack. From reading there is something called a sim card? I have to imagine it is something that changes the configuration of your phone? We don't have them in Las Vegas so I have to guess. I read that some phones can and some will not.  Alsov stores in Thailand sell minute’s thank you Ramster  one week to LOS!! [smiley=3some.gif]

The Motorola Startac works only on the 800 and 1900 frequencies, so will not be suitable.

For an inexpensive mobile for use outside the USA, try the Motorola Talkabout T180. You may be able to pick one up in MBK for 1000 baht or less.

753motorola-t180.jpg

Go for a HappyDprompt SIM card or One2call Freedom Plus. Calls within Thailand will be around 2.5 baht per minute. International SMS will be 3 baht via Dprompt. 4.5 to 9 baht with One2call.

You guys came through for the Ramster again  VoxVader

I will go to MBK I am staying at Maj. Suites in Bkk someone will tell me were MBK is from the hotel.  I will pick my number on a sim then get a used phone.  I assume the phone will have a charger too? And that way I can keep in touch with my buddy who is coming with me.  I know that we are going to get separated! I want to keep in touch with the TG's also.  2000 bt sounds cheep to have a phone for 2 weeks

Ramster [smiley=party.gif]

You guys came through for the Ramster again  VoxVader

I will go to MBK I am staying at Maj. Suites in Bkk someone will tell me were MBK is from the hotel.  I will pick my number on a sim then get a used phone.  I assume the phone will have a charger too? And that way I can keep in touch with my buddy who is coming with me.  I know that we are going to get separated! I want to keep in touch with the TG's also.  2000 bt sounds cheep to have a phone for 2 weeks

Ramster [smiley=party.gif]

Ramster

I bought a Nokia with a Sim card for 1300 Baht.

It wont work in the US though so you might be better asking for the triple band model.

Youll need the 4th floor In MBK

I got an unlocked tri-band (900/1800/1900) Motorola Timeport for $22 on eBay.  I know MBK is the best place to get a SIM but I'm headed straight for Pattaya, where's the best place to buy one?

The Orange counter at Terminal 1 of Bangkok International Airport is open 24-hours a day, seven days a week. You can call 0 2996 7073 to check phone availability.

I'm not sure about Dprompt or One2call. Possibly.