Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

The cheapest I have seen is China Southern, but I have not seen any good reviews on them. I am looking at an August trip and the best price is from China Airlines. I have flown them before and they are ok. I usually fly at night and sleep most of the flight.

I would recommend looking at a sight like kayak.com and plugging in your dates, then find the airlines that fly at the time of day you want and go to their website to compare prices.

This is my secret site for low fares. www.thaifly.com I have gotten great prices from them and never a problem with tickets or extra charges. Last year or so they were not cheaper then the airline site. Then again, I fly Delta exclusively since I am Plat there and get good seats.

I concur that China Southern has the cheapest, but you have to sit in a Chinese airport. Taipai is not much worse, but shortly I'll fly out of LAX on China Air, which I've used numerous times, and the layover on the way out is mostly an airport walkthrough in Taipai. I've had several upgrades now to buisness class with the miles accumulated. Thanks China Air. Service is not as good as say Singapore or Korean, unless of course you look asian, no prejudice, just a fact.

Good luck, I say pay it out, suck it up, and sit back and watch a few movies, and just when you can't stand flying anymore you'll see the lights Bangkok, and the Captain announcing the plane is descending. Yippi.

Great, now only 2999 to go to even the score.......

Try Expedia for the time you are planning on going. I've found the cheapest from LAX varies from time to time. EVA wasn't mentioned above, but they have been cheapest on a few of my trips.

If you fly often then you need to do some research on the various airlines frequent flyer programs as the cheapest fare doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest over the long run. Look at their partners that offer airmiles such as rental car, banks and financial instutions, hotels, and etc. As an example a friend of mine wanted to make his first trip to LOS a couple years ago. I told him to sign up for United Airline FF program. Then I told him that if he applied for a Chase Visa card he would get 30K United airmiles plus 1 miles for every $ charged. Then I told him that a specific investment broker would give him up to 25K United miles if he invested some funds with them. Before he made his first flight to LOS he was just a few thousand miles shy of a free flight to LOS. Beside the numerous free flights that I've received, depending on your level one gets economy seats with more legroom for free, additional luggage allowance and free use of Star Alliance lounges.

I have been getting some smokin' deals from Cathay Pacific....one way...$490+tax.

They seem to be more spendy for the return flights....so I went a different route on the way back.

• 5 months later...

I have flown Asiana, Eva, China Airlines and Thai Airways. Asiana is very nice. Eva very good also. China Airlines to me felt like flying Greyhound Airlines.(Southwest if you will) Small seats less room than the others. All the flights range in the $950 to $1100 range. I got a really good deal on Thai Airways last year from an online site that got me their Non Stop for the price of the others. $1050 RT. Normal price is generally around $1500. It was nice going straight in but you arrive very early in the morning, 5:30 AM! This year for some reason all the flights I check had horrible lay over times. Most were 10 to 14 hours or more. A couple even wanted you to change airports!! Thai Airways was $1650 for their flight until I waited to near 20-30 days before my flight and flew out on SATURDAY, SUNDAY or MONDAY! Supposed to be the most expensive days for flying! I do not understand their logic but I delayed my flight for 24 hours and fly out on Saturday night instead of trying to get a red-eye on Friday early AM. I saved near $500.00! Flight all in $1129.00 all in and a Non stop with better comfort, food, Flight attendants than China Airlines. So my advise is check flight times you would not normally use to get best price. BTW, Asiana had the best overall experience IMHO when the layover was only 45 minutes to 1 hour first trip. For coach passengers the food was excellent! I would have paid for the steak they served in a restaurant. Obviously smaller airline portion but delicious. Attendants Best looking and seats better than most considering I flew coach.

Edited by Stlakid

For me, every time I have flown, United has been the cheapest. You can check places like Expedia and they will compare prices on other airlines. I wouldn't book through one though. You can usually get the same price right from the airline. My Expedia experience: I had booked through expedia and was to fly home during the yellow shirt takeover of the airport. The airlines guaranteed to make a return flight available after it was over. Expedia made no such guarantee. They refused me a seat back, United said that I had to deal with them, because I got my ticket through them, they were out of it. Expedia didn't budge an inch. However after several calls to United, they compromised, and issued a refund, then I had to book a new flight. Unfortunately for me, before I always had a return ticket home. Now my return ticket is to BKK. With the flooding being an unknown factor right now, you are better off having a flight with the airline, than a booking agency. Just in case.

• Downvote 1

Now my return ticket is to BKK. With the flooding being an unknown factor right now, you are better off having a flight with the airline, than a booking agency. Just in case.

Oh, right. Make sure you have a visa or something like that showing you live in Thailand, legally. If you have nothing, you won't get on the plane in the US with a one-way ticket to Bangkok, which is what you will have. I have no anecdote about anyone actually being kicked off a flight, but every airline absolutely, positively checks this.

My Expedia experience: I had booked through expedia and was to fly home during the yellow shirt takeover of the airport. The airlines guaranteed to make a return flight available after it was over. Expedia made no such guarantee. They refused me a seat back, United said that I had to deal with them, because I got my ticket through them, they were out of it. Expedia didn't budge an inch. However after several calls to United, they compromised, and issued a refund, then I had to book a new flight. Unfortunately for me, before I always had a return ticket home. Now my return ticket is to BKK. With the flooding being an unknown factor right now, you are better off having a flight with the airline, than a booking agency. Just in case.

That's a good reminder. My sister had a similar experience a few years ago. She lives in the U.K. and was supposed to visit our mother in the U.S. for month and bought a heavily discounted ticket through a local bucket shop. Unfortunately, Mom passed away a few days before my sister's arrival date. She took the outbound flight to attend the memorial service and help with clearing out Mom's house, but wanted to leave the U.S. two weeks earlier than originally planned.

The bucket shop wouldn't even consider changing the return date and hung up on her when she pressed the discussion. Continental said they couldn't help her because she had bought the ticket from an outside booker. Because Continental was the preferred carrier of the company I worked for at the time and it did millions of dollars with them, the corporate travel department was able to apply a little informal pressure to get the ticket changed.

If my sister had bought the ticket directly from the airline, there wouldn't have been any problem in getting the return date changed after the death of an immediate family member. So if you go with a booking agency or discounter, make sure you have travel insurance than covers involuntary breaks in your trip.

Evil

:devil

If my sister had bought the ticket directly from the airline, there wouldn't have been any problem in getting the return date changed after the death of an immediate family member. So if you go with a booking agency or discounter, make sure you have travel insurance than covers involuntary breaks in your trip.

True, true. I'd put the advice a little differently, more like what LD had in mind, I believe. Boils down to DO NOT go a booking agent or discounter UNLESS you are getting a very good deal on the ticket.

These days, the airlines sell at or even below the price that the Expedias and the Kayaks and the Verycheapticketssir.com sites sell. Before you click "buy" at one of these sites, before you hand over cash to the guy in the shophouse at Joe's Mall - check the actual airline. It's hugely likely you'll get the direct ticket for about the same price.

What he said.

Oh, right. Make sure you have a visa or something like that showing you live in Thailand, legally. If you have nothing, you won't get on the plane in the US with a one-way ticket to Bangkok, which is what you will have. I have no anecdote about anyone actually being kicked off a flight, but every airline absolutely, positively checks this.