Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but has anyone here ever tried to access AOL from your hotel rooms in BKK or  Pattaya?  I have a list of  access numbers  for both places but have never tried dialing up from my laptop....could come in very handy if these work.

any ideas? how do you guys with laptops connect with the internet when you are in Thailand? which ISP  are you using?

thanks Bob

Don't know much about AOL as I prefer real internet .....

I never had trouble connecting from the Hotels, although there are some things to take care of:

First the Hotel has to have a IDD line; a phone which connects thru an Operator is a no-go! (Leaves out the Diamond Hotel for instance!)

Second you should make sure that the Hotel charges local calls on a per call rate (5 to 10 Bt a call) rather than on an per Minute rate! (Leaves out the Haven Hotel).

Third you should make sure that the Hotel does not automatically disconnect the Call every 10 or 15 Minutes (Leaves out the Sunshine Hotel).

Now, once you are past this, buy a prepaid Internet Card in one of the Computer Stores, travel agencies, or somewhere else around Pattaya, they give you 20 to 50 Hours worth of Connect time for the priice of 12 to 15 Bt an Hour.

Set up a new Internet Connection, find the number for Pattaya ( Chonburi on the leaflet that comes with the card, use the User and Password according to the Card, and check out the Details of the Hotel's telephone System, i.e. what to dial for a local call .... usually a "9", followed by the number including the area code. And that should get you a connect!

At the Residence Garden, it is a good idea to change the numbers from the "9038xxxxxx" to "9,,038xxxxxx", these two commas tell the modem to wait two seconds, so the external line can be established - this is a little slow at the RG, but in my experience not needed elsewhere.

You can now visit the Internet, and collect your Mail - but probably not your AOL mail, as this follows no accepted standard!.

To send your Mail (SMTP) you might have to do some more twists, let me know in case you cannot get it to work, I might be able to help you. Or you use your ISP's Webmail Service, or in case your ISP does not have one, find one of the services that turn your ISP's mail into a Webmail (forgot the link now, but I am sure you can find it with Google et al ...

Hope this helps!

Sunny

34 Days 2 Go!

yes, that helps very much and thanks because I will be staying at the Residence gardens.   I agree AOL blows; i never use their browser;  but they have a good mail program that I like and about 100 people know my multiple addresses; major hassle to change now.

thanks again   Bob

If you use the AOL access for Rayong when you're in Pattaya, you'll get a good connection.  Rayong is long distance from Pattaya but it should be cheap long distance so ite depends on what the hotel is charging you.  I used it once when the hotel was charging a minimal amount and it was easy and OK to access from my room.

• 2 weeks later...

I log on to AOL from Pattaya on each trip.  The earlier comments are correct:

1. Make sure the hotel charges local call per call, not per minute.

2. Make sure the AOL access number you dial is a local number.  Just ask at the desk to be sure.

3. Some hotels, like Haven, cut off local calls after 10 minutes.  Very distracting, the reason I don't stay there anymore.

Otherwise, it works fine from the room.  But watch out for 9.0 AOL, it's hard to slow down the modem speed to match the 28k connection from most Thai cities.

Redman

• 1 month later...

speaking of aol, is there any members who live in thailand that can tell us what kind of service is available for those of use who want to move to the land of smiles, i have checked out a couple of services but can't find anything like what we have here in the states ( $23.00 a month unlimited time )

It seems that there are access numbers for AOL that can be used in Thailand but you would have to be mad to use them as the charges are extortionate.

I have been able to access e-mail on my aol account in Thailand in an internet cafe but nothing else. It has, however, been suggested to me that other areas of aol can be accessed if you log on to the internet using your local ISP and then open up AOL from your desktop. I have no idea as to whether this would work or whether you would still end up paying the extortionate hourly surcharges.

Alan

I go to an internet cafe.

Just use Internet Explorer to connect to wherever your AOL account is (ie http://aol.co.uk, do not need the www)

You can then log in, and this enables you to send and receive your AOL mail.

Remember that incoming e-mail is not saved to your Personal Filing Cabinet, that lives on your home PC, so just check the "keep as new" boxes and then you can keep copies for saving to PFC when you get home.

There is no charge from AOL for logging in this way, all you pay for is the internet cafe time.

I always delete all Cookies and Temporary Internet Files on the PC I have used, and have never had anyone hack my account from LOS.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year to you all !

Whenever I'm away from home, I access my aol e-mail via Internet Explorer as described by Fat Controller. However, I also visit their travel chat room on a regular basis at home and as far as I know this cannot be done by accessing AOL via Internet Explorer. If anyone knows a simple way of doing this or of accessing AOL's other facilities whilst in Thailand, I'd be interested.

Thanks,

Alan

Many of the internet cafe's have AOL loaded on they computers...........As you are conected all the time there should not be a problem using AOL's browser rather than m/soft IE.........Try Explorer cafe at the beach end of pattaya tai, between 2nd road and walking st, good deals on pre pay time packages.

Never done it before, just pick up my AOL mail via www.AOL.com

H

PS BUT remember don't save / emails and clear the personal filing cabinit......or the next person on that  PC can view your stuff

PPS you might have to start your sign in under guest

I've tried to access my aol account many times while I'm in LOS to check my mail . I use IE & log on via www.aol.com but it is always very slow to bring up my e-mail page . I usually give up & I have around 200 messages , mostly junk , waiting when I get home . It doesn't matter which net cafe I use , it's always slow . Has anyone else noticed this ? I'm changing back to freeserve soon so it won't be a problem much longer .

Derek

I had MAJOR problems in Jan 2003, trying to acess AOHELL, it took many a min {10}, to get to my E-Mail page...

I got a new server, but do expect similar problems because of the dial-up-modem

Bob, I just got a notebook computer and plan to bring it to Pattaya next week.  You say you have telephone numbers for AOL in both Pattaya and Bangkok.  

Would you share those with us?  Please?  (Buy you a beer!)    Roy

Thanks a lot H!  I'll give them a try this week.

Hope to get to buy you that beer I promised!

Roy