Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Got a call a couple of weeks ago from a mate who is there saying the police seem to be targetting drink/riders/ drivers there ?

In the UK the limit is 2 pints of standard beer, not sure of what the mg is as it were.

My questions are two fold has anyone else seen increased actvity re the above ? also is the drink drive limit the same in Thailand or UK

cheers

Got a call a couple of weeks ago from a mate who is there saying the police seem to be targetting drink/riders/ drivers there ?

In the UK the limit is 2 pints of standard beer, not sure of what the mg is as it were.

My questions are two fold has anyone else seen increased actvity re the above ? also is the drink drive limit the same in Thailand or UK

cheers

It was 35mm Alcohol to 100mm blood, (ENGLAND) but not sure now, there has been an increase in police clamping down, sitting down the road from my local waiting for unsuspecting drivers to leave the pub, but alot have got wise to this, but I'm not sure on Thailand, I see more and more drivers/riders getting behind the wheel or on their bike after a fair few, :banghead. Not something I would do.

only a fool drinks and drives, someone who has no regard for another life or anyone else. pattaya is full of silly old men on motor bikes who drink and drive every where. you just need sit at a bar and see them drive into the bars, have a few beers then move on. seen a few bord members do it from a few forums. one word WANKERS

Must be a nationwide crack down just now as they are pretty hot with it just now in Nakhon Phanom, road blocks all over the place at nights. Maybe something to do with the upcoming election, who knows ?

Must be a nationwide crack down just now as they are pretty hot with it just now in Nakhon Phanom, road blocks all over the place at nights. Maybe something to do with the upcoming election, who knows ?

Do they actually process these drink drivers down at the police station or is it just another excuse for a thai man in plain clothes and riding a motorbike to be summoned over by the nice uniformed gentleman who then hands over your 'fine' to him. :whistling: A bit like the helmet scam, fining whoever they feel like, rather than the large amount of other people all sitting at the very same red traffic light, also without a helmet but magically invisible to this uniformed gentleman's eye. <_<

It was 35mm Alcohol to 100mm blood, (ENGLAND) but not sure now, there has been an increase in police clamping down, sitting down the road from my local waiting for unsuspecting drivers to leave the pub, but alot have got wise to this, but I'm not sure on Thailand, I see more and more drivers/riders getting behind the wheel or on their bike after a fair few, :banghead. Not something I would do.

I'm frankly amazed nobody called you on this, Jamie. 35mm per 100mm of blood is 35% blood alcohol level.

Death usually occurs at > 0.40% blood alcohol, nearly 100 times less than what you say the English level is.

I used this as a reference...it's not that far off other sources http://en.wikipedia....alcohol_content

Incidentally, from that same Wiki page, legal blood alcohol level in Thailand is 0.05% whereas in England (UK) it is 0.08%.

I'm frankly amazed nobody called you on this, Jamie. 35mm per 100mm of blood is 35% blood alcohol level.

Death usually occurs at > 0.40% blood alcohol, nearly 100 times less than what you say the English level is.

I used this as a reference...it's not that far off other sources http://en.wikipedia....alcohol_content

Incidentally, from that same Wiki page, legal blood alcohol level in Thailand is 0.05% whereas in England (UK) it is 0.08%.

So more than 2 bottles I would guess you are over the limit ?

Not in they were drunk over 2 years, I'd guess.:whistling:

Good guess :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Not a guess, and damned mobile's word prediction.

What's your point anyway?

A small bottle of San Mig lite = 1.3 standards drinks so effectively 2 san migs in an hour would put you at .052%....... yep over the limit here in Thailand.

However not all bodies are create equal though so that actual intake may vary to stay within the legal limits.

• Downvote 1

" It was 35mm Alcohol to 100mm "

35 millimeters of alcohol to 100 millimeters of blood ???

Ha ha, sorry I was thinking millilitres not millimetres, workin nights fucks you up!!!!

Actually. This Is the limit, I was on the right track, just a wee bit out with millilitres crap

The UK legal limit for drivers is 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, often referred to as a BAC or blood-alcohol concentration. In US terms this would be expressed as 0.08%. This is alternatively expressed in terms of breath alcohol - 35 µg (microgrammes) per 100 ml (which is now the usual official measure in the UK), or alcohol in the urine - 107 mg per 100 ml.

This is often reckoned to be equivalent to two pints of ordinary strength beer which, for a man of average weight, is broadly true, but should not be used as a general rule - see Drink-Driving Guidelines. It is impossible to draw an accurate correlation between the amount of alcohol consumed and the resulting peak BAC, and anyone trying to "drink up to the limit" runs a serious risk of exceeding it.

A guy i know has already had an accident in his pickup by crashing into 2 separate Thai men on motorbikes within 10 mins of each other,while he was pissed out his mind.They nearly killed him after they caught up with him.Thought that might stop him drinking and driving but no he still regularly gets behind the wheel after 9 or 10 big bottles of leo.Asshole!

A friend of mine got stitched up for drink drive in Bangsaen a year or so ago. They hauled him down to the police station, where he had to pay a fine of 20,000 baht. He either had to call someone to come drive his truck for him when he left, or he could go and pick it up in the morning after he had sobered up. That is for a farang. I don't know what the penalty for a Thai national is? This also had no affect on my friends driving license from what I know.

He also told me that the breathalizers that they used looked pretty old and sketchy. I would venture to guess that they are not calibrated very often, or even at all.

Hi,

Agree with hillbilly. Anyone that drinks even one small glass of beer and then drives should be locked up and the key thrown away. It impares your judgment and nine time out of ten, results with a innocent person being injured. This was pointed out to me 50 years ago. they had a car simulator and could check your reaction time when someone stepped out in front of you. They then give you a drink and tested you again. Eight out of the ten people, they done this to, would have killed or badly injured, the person steping into the road.

Then hillbilly goes of track by saying Patts is full of "silly old men" doing this. In the six years i have been living in LOS and since 1970 when i stared visiting LOS, I find this not to be the case. Also i have never ever seen them drive into bars. You'd have a hard job getting a bike, never mind a car into some bars.

The people i have seen D/D were mainly young people who think they are indistructable. You do get a few elderly ones who D/D. Myself i don't care what people do to themselfs. As long as it does not affect other people. Sadly drink does affect others.

Also I ride a bike most days, when it is not raining, and have never been pulled up on this so called "scam" that butterfly says. If you have to pay a fine get a receipt. I did this when i was pulled up for speeding, yes i was guilty, they give me one. I was doing 104K. 14k over limit. When you have been D/D they don't usually give you a fine and send you on your way. Thank God. Its a court case.

• Downvote 1

The 35 mm of alcohol - is that in a shot glass. And is it measured with or without ice?

It doesn't matter when it is a ratio.

35mm to 100mm in whatever. Although a tapered glass would not work.

Edited by jacko

Seen so many more in the last 1 1/2 months than before. seems to be loads every other night on my way home on soi bankot & soi xzyte

A mate of mine passed over forty k in a month after been stoped twice ?

if your the wrong coulor skin it seem 20k is the going rate

but have heard of a 40k in one hit :chogdee

Edited by tingtongtony

infact in the uk 33% alcohol per parts blood 1 1/2 pints of beer should put you right on the limit & we can drink at 18yrs & fuck at 16yrs

A friend of mine got stitched up for drink drive in Bangsaen a year or so ago. They hauled him down to the police station, where he had to pay a fine of 20,000 baht. He either had to call someone to come drive his truck for him when he left, or he could go and pick it up in the morning after he had sobered up. That is for a farang. I don't know what the penalty for a Thai national is? This also had no affect on my friends driving license from what I know.

He also told me that the breathalizers that they used looked pretty old and sketchy. I would venture to guess that they are not calibrated very often, or even at all.

A friend, heh heh.

• Upvote 1

A friend, heh heh.

Yes, believe it or not, it was a friend. I have not been stitched up for drink drive in Thailand. I have a few friends that are BiB. heh heh!

New Years gift baskets are a real good deal if you know who to give them to. (hint hint)

Yes to add to the old helmut one! I have been going to Pattay for about 6 yrs now and always hire a scooter and have my friend on behind we always wear the helmet and keep a copy of the hire document and my licence on me. I have never been stopped but I have sat and watched the antics of the police noticably stopping the tourists whilst passing on the locals with no helmets or even that clown with the frame on the bike to carry soft toys! I have also seen several police especially on soi Bukaow ride with their forage caps only ! I have also been reliably informed by a thai girl I know that she has been caught without the helmet and pleaded poverty and said 100 bhat no paperwork and it works! As for the drink driving I do not agree with it in any shape form or fashion you only have to recall those two young lads from wales on the fireblade near big c. Again I have been told that a small amount of bhat handed over at the time gets you on your way obviously not if you are out of your tree!

On the point of roadstops yes is the answer the Thai's are doing more large roadstops I have witnessed such on a regular basis when I was ther during May past on Pattaya Klang and on the siam country club road, they were ther in large groups and I was told not all were regular police. Mayne some kind of volunteers or something?