Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Clubs & Performing (DJ/Producer) questions

I've already read and heard from people in the region that being a DJ/performer doesn't pay well at all.  However, I'm already planning on coming over to the area for a nice vacation and wouldn't mind putting on a show anyways.  I love performing ( do live music production via a laptop and custom MIDI controller) and also spinning records.  Style of music would be techno mostly Deep/Tech house or drum and bass/jazzy jungle.

While I'd be interested in performing at no charge and would probably opt to just ask a club owner while there I was curious how often out of town or farang DJs/Performers perform.

Also, what kind of equipment should I expect in a club.  Mainly, do they have turntables or is it all CD/Tape mixing.  Are standard audio connections the same (RCA cable).  

Just curious, as I wouldn't mind tooling around BKK and Pattaya playing at some clubs and bringing some western flavor techno fresh from my studio.

Thanks

nope, it doesn`t pay well at all. That`s if you can even manage do get a gig...

Maybe you should try to contact MOS before you arrive.

As everywhere, the biggest clubs have tables, but around the normal bars they normaly have cd`s/mp3 but I assume that`s not the kind of places you are into.

.M

If you like Thai Techno music (produced by a German DJ !)  this is kinda cute.

No girls and it's a hugh flash file (11M) but if you have DSL it only takes a couple minutes to download.  Called Apedance.

--Steve

I hate ALL forms of Techo, Drum & bass, trance etc etc etc. I dont even think it should be called music.

If it aint played with Guitars, drums and a Keyboard (preferably a C3 Hammond with Leslie Box), it aint music.

Though if Kylie asks me nicely I'll listen to her ;D ;D

" I hate ALL forms of Techo, Drum & bass, trance etc etc etc"

Well, I guess that's why I said "if".... ?  There are 3,500 members besides Mr. Crackpot.

I never liked it in the past, but now it just brings back good memories of warm nights with a gaggle of Thai girls at Xzyte.  Not something I would listen to regularly but I guess it's the same thing as Pattaya.  Part of the experience and a good memory of my visits there.

We all have different things in our lives which stir memories.  This music does that for me.

Take care,

Steve

" I hate ALL forms of Techo, Drum & bass, trance etc etc etc"

Well, I guess that's why I said "if".... ?  There are 3,500 members besides Mr. Crackpot.

Well I guess thats  why I said " I" ???

You'l find that most bars have their own DJ's.

Most girlie bars ( which is what I assume you`re refering too ) just have a guy that pushes the play button one the winamp player... Don`t think you can call thoose guys dj`s...

I hate ALL forms of Techo, Drum & bass, trance etc etc etc. I dont even think it should be called music.

If it aint played with Guitars, drums and a Keyboard (preferably a C3 Hammond with Leslie Box), it aint music.

Though if Kylie asks me nicely I'll listen to her ;D ;D

Agreed. except for the keyboard part

I'm not interested in earning money.  I'm just interested in performing for a crowd who likes similar music.  What I wanted to know is how often out of towners do perform, if at all as it sounds.

My position would be asking whoever manages the bar for the chance to perform on a given night at no charge,  Maybe some free drinks or something.  It would be a club (dance) that I would be interested in, not supplying bar background music or go go music.

My only other question was if most clubs have turntables or not, but from what I've heard in the last few days most don't.  But thats fine, because I perform with my laptop /desktop more anyways.

Oh, and its too bad so many of you dislike techno.  I hope its not because all you've heard is the repetative 'disco' I so often encounter in Phillipines.  If you like jazz, you'd probably like a lot of the stuff I'm into even if you don't think techno is real music.  

delphi,

As I mentioned, try to contact the managment of MOS ( Ministry of sound ) at their office in London and maybe they can set up a meeting or something at their Bangkok club.

Also try the RCA strip in Bangkok.

I`ve seen a few farangs in clubs around Bangkok, if you don`t expect money and are good at your music you should have a fair chance.

Good luck

I BTW, love techno ;D

.M

Isn't MOS (Ministry of Sound) out of business in Bangkok?  Name changed to ?????

Even though you're not working, i.e. you're not being paid, as I understand it the spinning of records  _might_ be construed as "work" under Thai law especially if you're only holding a tourist visa.  Legally you need a work permit to work and that would likely be hard to obtain for a farang DJ.  This something to consider in conversations with club management.

I think there are relatively few proper dance clubs as you might define them here in Thailand.  It used to be that permits to license a dance venue were seriously expensive and I think this is still true.

-redwood

I'm not interested in earning money.  I'm just interested in performing for a crowd who likes similar music.  What I wanted to know is how often out of towners do perform, if at all as it sounds.

My position would be asking whoever manages the bar for the chance to perform on a given night at no charge,  Maybe some free drinks or something.  It would be a club (dance) that I would be interested in, not supplying bar background music or go go music.

My only other question was if most clubs have turntables or not, but from what I've heard in the last few days most don't.  But thats fine, because I perform with my laptop /desktop more anyways.

Oh, and its too bad so many of you dislike techno.  I hope its not because all you've heard is the repetative 'disco' I so often encounter in Phillipines.  If you like jazz, you'd probably like a lot of the stuff I'm into even if you don't think techno is real music.  

Well Ive never heard Kenny Ball, Chris Barber or Acker Bilk mumumumumumumumumixed.

Techno aint music.

Thank Christ weve still got copyright on all our stuff

The MOS in Bkk is now double O (so i have been told) There really isnt a market for the club stuff in Pattaya ,but Singapore ,Japan and Malaysia are said to be kicking.

There is a guy in Pattaya ,who put the DJ Cafe back together (Formally Angels a gogo) but it is not busy during normal opening hours.This would be the guy to talk to .But I can tell ya that BKK is the only place in Thailand doing the club scene ,and to be honest the entertainment is so good here .And the drugs laws so strict.I think Thailand can do without it.

I like very little Techno. I'm into funky house and garage when I'm out clubbin.' Forget about it in Pattaya, the music is SHITE. I've only found really good music (imho) once in Pattaya. Admittedly, I've only had 2 X 3weeks there but I've been to most of the music venues there. The place was on walking street (can't remember the name, sorry) they had a bar at he front with a live band playing your usual shit, you walked to the rear of this bar and up some stairs I think and there's a nightclub with the walls plastered up to make it seem like you're in a cave. There was a bloke from Nottingham, England on the decks who was really good. He was trying to convince the new owner of the club that he could make a go of it but the club was virtually empty, maybe a dozen people in there. Forget Pattaya.

There's a good club on the Kao San Road in Bangkok (again I can't remember the name of the place but I think it's the only club on that road, you can't miss it. Downstairs from street level). International DJ's playing in there, very very good music being played when I was in there, you could expect to hear the same in any good London club.

Like somebody already said, Thailand's stance on drugs means that a good club scene just aint gonna happen and is probably why M.O.S. is no more.

Chok dee

Techno aint music.

I disagree with that. But why are you still replying in this thread when it`s obvious that you have nothing to add except from letting people know that you don`t like techno music ?

Reply to me via PM please.

I didn`t know MOS is out of business in Bangkok, but as I understand it, the club is still operating with a different name / owners ?

.M

I disagree with that. But why are you still replying in this thread when it`s obvious that you have nothing to add except from letting people know that you don`t like techno music ?

Reply to me via PM please.

I didn`t know MOS is out of business in Bangkok, but as I understand it, the club is still operating with a different name / owners ?

.M

Why should I want to reply to you by PM ?

I dont think we have anything to say to each other

Crackpot wrote If it aint played with Guitars, drums and a Keyboard (preferably a C3 Hammond with Leslie Box), it aint music.

Cool a true hammond fan my weapon of choice would be a B-3 hammond   !!!

Crackpot wrote If it aint played with Guitars, drums and a Keyboard (preferably a C3 Hammond with Leslie Box), it aint music.

Cool a true hammond fan my weapon of choice would be a B-3 hammond   !!!

Ahh but you cant fit a Leslie Box to that one can ya ?

Crackpot,

I would just like to know why you`re still replying to this thread when it`s obvious that you have NOTHING to add to the starter of the thread...

Why the angry tone ?

What angry Tone ??

I replied to you after you asked me to PM you. If you have a question or want to tell me to piss off then do so here.

I replied to the other poster cos I wanted to.

If every posting on this forum that drifted off topic was removed there would be very little left to read

What angry Tone ??

I replied to you after you asked me to PM you. If you have a question or want to tell me to piss off then do so here.

I did have a question for you, and that`s why are you replying if you have nothing to add ?  Now that you have given the answer, then ok.

I just felt that there was no reason to talk about it on this thread, but since you insisted, then ok agian.

Now, if you / anyone reply to every thread just "cos you want to" eventhough you have nothing to add, then there really wouldn`t be anything interesting to read on this board.

wouldn`t you agree ?

.M

I did have a question for you, and that`s why are you replying if you have nothing to add ?  Now that you have given the answer, then ok.

I just felt that there was no reason to talk about it on this thread, but since you insisted, then ok agian.

Now, if you / anyone reply to every thread just "cos you want to" eventhough you have nothing to add, then there really wouldn`t be anything interesting to read on this board.

wouldn`t you agree ?

.M

No

.C