Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The November Golf Festival is the highlight of the Pattaya golfing calendar. It runs during the first 2 weeks of November and features some great competitions where the accent is on fun golf with good friends. Our RideHer Cup event is celebrating it’s 10th anniversary so we want to make it really special. This attracts regular players every year and there are always new entrants joining the fun. The teams represent Europe vs USA with a mixture of Aussies, Kiwis and Thais added to the teams to give it a truly international flavour. The 2011 event will take place over 2 days instead of the usual 1 day. Here are the current plans for the 2 weeks and the Cup.

Monday 31st October

A practice round for the early arrivals and those wanting to work on their game. This will be a friendly golf day with no specific competition.

Tuesday 1st November

This is Melbourne Cup Day so we plan to meet for breakfast in O’Garas Bar and Grill to watch the build up and the race. In the evening, we will all meet in FLB Bar for registrations and the captains’ team announcements. The day 1 Cup matches will be drawn and then the USA team will all go to bed leaving the Europeans to drink the bar dry!

Wednesday 2nd November

Burapha Golf Club. This first day will feature the traditional 2 x 9 hole competitions with a four ball matchplay and an Ambrose/Texas Scramble matchplay. These will involve teams of 2 players each from Europe and USA competing for 1 point on each 9. We are thinking of having a beach party after golf with a pig roast and some Thai food. Partners are invited.

Friday 4th November

Laem Chabang Country Club. We are adding a day of singles matches to the competition for the 10th anniversary. The matches will be played in flights of 4 players with 2 matches taking place in the same group. Points for winning front 9, back 9 and the overall. I might have some tricks up my sleeve to add some fun to the matches! After golf, we will have a anniversary dinner somewhere special with partners invited. Then it will be off to FLB Bar for the prizegiving and party.

Saturday/Sunday 5th and 6th November

A break from golf but we will carry on with the fun! An island boat trip and a go kart grand prix are on the agenda.

Week commencing 7th November

We are planning 3 golf days for the week including the Baby Dolls Scramble and the Misty’s Open. I would also like to have a charity golf day to raise some money for deprived children. We raised 25,000 baht last year with our pig roast evening but I would like to do something special for 2011. More to follow.

• 1 month later...

Arrive 4th November would definately like a game

How do I keep in touch?

Hi Ularu

Can you please send me an email to sales@solargolf.co.uk to keep in touch? You can also find us on Facebook at Solar Golf - a Facebook group.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Doghaus

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I will sign up for my 10 Ride Her cup.

Bkkbob HK 18

Shirt XXL

Team USA

Hi Bob

Good to hear from you and consider yourself signed up! I am just waiting for some prices for the meals and then I will publish the tariff.

Cheers.

Doggie.

Doggie, Everything is booked up for me now, Please count me in - I'm practisingI

You are in Brian. I might not be able to get your shirt size but trying hard.

Callum

You are in Brian. I might not be able to get your shirt size but trying hard.

Callum

Thanks, I'm down a few stone but am still firmly in the blimp category. Any change of just the shirt pocket badge? I could get it sewn onto a shirt that does fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah the girls in Ireland are playing for the Solhiem Cup, The only one missing from our European collection. I think we hold The Ryder cup , The Walker Cup and The rideher Cup :whistling:

:clap1 :clap1 :clap1 :clap1 :clap1 Come on girls :clap2 :clap2 :clap2

Hmmmmmmmmm - got me thinking there Deuce - Rideher Cup is Europe v USA with a few of us colonials thrown in. Maybe could come up with Patts equivalent of the Solheim Cup. Would not mind a round or two with Paula or Michelle - that would sure put them off their game and ensure another Euro win.

:chogdee

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the first (practice) round is a week tomorrow. Are there any updates please? Where and when we meet for the practice round would do for a start!

Thanks.

We tried to keep it a secret from you Brian but, as you are very persistent, here goes:

Sunday 30th October

Registrations will open at FLB Bar. I will be there between 8pm and 10 pm to take your bookings for the Golf Festival.

Monday 31st October

Practice round at Burapha Golf Club. 2,500 baht including green fee, cart, caddy and transport. In Brian's case, there will be an additional plumbing charge for re-fixing the basin to the wall in the drinks station at A4. He managed to rip it off the wall when he was levering himself off the toilet seat! Another RideHer Cup memory!

Transport will collect you from your hotel. Please email callum@solargolf.co.uk with your hotel and room number. I will respond with pick up time.

Tuesday 1st November

The Captains will announce the teams at 10 pm in FLB Bar. We will be able to take additional registrations in the bar from 8pm until 9pm.

The RideHer Cup entry cost is 6,900 baht. This includes 2 rounds of golf inclusive of Green fee, caddy fee and cart, transport on both days (coach to and from the course), 2 dinners after golf on each day, polo shirt and cap. Payment in advance in cash or bank transfer if you wish to email me to book.

Wednesday 2nd November

RideHer Cup first round - four balls and scramble. Burapha A and B courses. Transport will depart opposite The Avenue Shopping Centre at 0900 sharp. We will go to a Thai Restaurant for dinner after golf returning to Pattaya around 7pm.

Friday 4th November

RideHer Cup final round - 2 singles matches per group. Transport will depart opposite The Avenue Shopping Centre at 0930 sharp. We will go direct from the course for dinner at a restaurant in Pattaya. Partners will be welcome to join for an additional charge of 700 baht. Dinner will be served at 6.30 pm approx. After dinner, we will re-convene in FLB Bar around 10 pm for the presentation of the Cup, Paul's annual rendition of American Pie and assorted celebrations.

I look forward to seeing everyone at one or other of the registration evenings!

Callum

Sunday at FLB then.

Thanks for the memory of the toilet demolition, I’d almost forgotten that. Head butted any golf carts lately? :whistling:

I remember that as well! Lamphun in Chiang Mai - I was seeing double the whole round.

See you Sunday.

November 2011 Pattaya golf festival

Welcome to Pattaya for the Solar Golf November Golf Festival. This annual festival draws golfers from throughout the world to share a unique golf and party experience in paradise. Many of the players return year after year and others are very welcome to join us for the first time. Here’s what’s happening during this 2 week festival. Many golfers have already signed up for the events. You can register for the events by sending us an email, visiting our offices at Tara Court on Pratamnak Hill or at the registration evenings on 30th October and 1st November.

Sunday October 30th – Ride Her Cup Registration Evening

Sign up for the RideHer Cup and other golf events at the FLB on Walking Street between 8.00pm and 10.00pm.

Monday 31st October – Practice day – Burapha

The practice round at Burapha will tee off on A and B courses from 10.30 am. Transport will collect you either from your hotel or a rendezvous point nearby. Collections will start around 0900. We will let you know your pick up time at the registration evening on Sunday and lists will be posted on the door of the Solar Golf office at Tara Court. Transport will return you to your hotels after golf. The cost of the practice day including green fee, caddy fee, cart and transport is 2,500 baht per player.

Tuesday November 1st – Ride Her Cup Captains team announcement

There will be a change of USA captain this year. Bob Williams will captain team USA for the first time assisted by Scott Javer. Duncan Mathieson will captain the European team for the second year in succession. The captains will meet at 8.30 pm at FLB to pick the teams. The teams and pairings will be announced at 10.00 pm

Wednesday November 3rd – The 2011 Ride Her Cup – Round 1 – Burapha GC.

Possibly the greatest golf event in Asia, this prestigious tournament celebrates its 10th anniversary. This match play event pitches Europe’s finest golfers against the cream of the USA. Mix in a few Aussies, blend with a Thai or three and you have a field of the world’s greatest golfers! The event is delicately poised with 4 victories to USA, 4 to Europe and 1 draw. To celebrate the 10th anniversary, the event will take place over 2 rounds with each player participating in 4 x 9 hole matches.

The bus will leave The Avenue shopping centre on Second Road at 9am prompt. Tee times are from 10.30 onwards. The bus will take us to a Thai restaurant near the golf course for dinner after the golf. The bus will return to The Avenue at 8pm approx.

The first round will take place at Burapha over A and B courses with groups teeing off at A1 and B1.Each group will play 2 matches with a point available for each match.

Course A will be played as a Texas Scramble/Ambrose. Both players in the team hit their drives and select which drive will be used. Thereafter, the players each hit a shot from the position of the best-placed ball until the team has holed out. The second ball should be placed within one scorecard length of the selected ball and surfaces cannot be changed. The handicap allowance will be 1/4 the combined handicap of the 2 players in the team. Strokes will be according to the stroke index of the hole. So, a team comprising an 18 and a 28 handicapper will receive 11.5 (12) strokes and a team with a 14 and an 18 will receive 8 strokes. In this case, the first team will receive 4 strokes for 18 holes and this will be reduced to 2 strokes for course A to be taken on the 2 holes with the lowest stroke index on course A. To add a bit of spice, the team will be required to select a minimum of 3 drives for each partner on the 9 holes. The holes will be played as straight match play and the match will be determined as a win (1 point) or a half (1/2 point) for the 9 holes.

Course B will be played as four ball better ball. Each player in the team plays every shot at the hole and the best net score for the hole wins that hole. The handicaps for the four balls will be full handicap allowance stroking off the lowest handicap player. So, in the above example, the 14 handicapper will play off scratch, his partner will get 4 strokes and the players in the other team will get 4 and 14 strokes respectively for 18 holes. The number of strokes received will then be halved for the 9 holes that are being played. Strokes will be allowed according to the SI off the holes on course B. The four balls will also be match play with the lowest net winning the hole and the match determined as a win or a half.

Friday November 4th – Ride Her Cup Second Round – Laem Chabang

The bus will leave The Avenue shopping centre on Second Road at 10.00 am prompt. Tee times are from 11.34 onwards. The bus will take us to Cabbages and Condoms Restaurant on Pratamnuk Soi 4 for dinner after the golf. You can bring a partner to dinner but you must book and pay for this at the same time as your registration. The additional cost for a partner is 600 baht. The bus will return to The Avenue after dinner. The presentation party will take place at FLB Bar at 10.30 pm.

The format at Laem Chabang will be singles match play. You will tee off in 4 balls selected by the Captains. Each 4 ball will comprise 2 players from the USA team and 2 players from the European team. There will be 2 singles matches – USA vs. Europe – in each 4 ball on each 9. The opponents will switch on the second 9. Handicaps will be calculated as ¾ of the difference between the 2 players and shots will be taken according to the stoke index. The stroke indices at Laem Chabang are 1 to 9 for each 9 so the number of shots received will be halved to allow for the fact that only 9 holes are being played.

The bus will depart for Cabbages and Condoms when everyone has showered and changed. Please remember you are responsible for your own golf clubs or any sets you have rented from Solar Golf. Dinner will be served as a buffet around 7 pm. Your food is included in the entry fee – please lay for your own beverages. The bus will depart for The Avenue around 9 pm. We will meet up again at 10.30 pm in FLB Bar.

The entry fee for the Ride Her Cup is 6,900 baht. This includes 2 rounds of golf with green fee, cart and caddy, transport by coach, polo shirt, cap and 2 dinners. Please pay your entry fee at one of the registration evenings.

Tuesday November 8th – Misty’s Open at Phoenix.

The Misty’s Open is an individual stabelford event. Handicaps will be calculated using the 36 system. Transport will leave either Tara Court or The Avenue shopping centre on Second Road at 8.30 am prompt. Players will tee off as 4 balls from 10.00. Transport will return to the Avenue and Tara Court at 1830 approx. Entry fee is 2,900 baht per player – payable either at FLB on one of the registration evenings or at the Solar Golf Offices in advance. Your entry fee includes green fee, buggy share, caddy fee, transport, polo shirt and the party with food.

The party will start at Club Misty’s a Go-go on Soi 15 at 8.30 pm with a buffet followed by the announcement of the winners and prize giving. There will be a winner’s trophy plus two near pin. This will be a private party on the upper level of Misty’s. Should be lots of fun!

Thursday November 10th – Golf Aid Charity Event – St. Andrews 2000 followed by Loy Krathong Party at Royal Varuna Yacht Club.

We are running a Texas Scramble at St Andrews on Thursday November 10th to raise money for the EGA Charity Golf Aid. All the proceeds from the event will go to aid for the flood victims to help them re-build their lives after the catastrophic floods in Thailand. Entry is limited to 48 players on a first come first served basis. Please register at one of our registration evenings or by sending an email to callum@solargolf.co.uk.

We will be teeing off at St. Andrews at 10.24 so transport will leave Tara Court and The Avenue at 0900. The teams will be drawn in advance and announced when you get to the golf course. The format will be a Texas Scramble (Ambrose) played off scratch. We will try to match the teams as closely as possible so we will need your handicap at the time of registration. After golf, we will have a Loy Krathong Party at Royal Varuna Yacht Club commencing at 7 pm. A barbecue and pig roast is included in your entry fee. If you wish to bring a guest there will be an additional charge of 600 baht payable in advance at time of registration. The cost is 3,500 baht inclusive of green fee, buggy, caddy, transport and food. All profits will be donated to Golf Aid Charity. There will be a memento for the winning team which will be presented at the Yacht Club after the scores have been collected and checked.

We will be running tombola at the Royal Varuna Yacht Club to raise additional funds for the Golf Aid Charity. Solar Golf and our partners are donating tombola prizes and we welcome prize donations from supporters and sponsors. Our target is to raise at least 50,000 baht for Golf Aid. Please contact callum@solargolf.co.uk if you would like to donate or contribute a tombola prize.

Entries and handicaps

We are happy to accept entries from golfers of all abilities as long as you have some experience of playing on a full 18 hole golf course.

The following will be accepted as proof of handicap for the Ride Her Cup and the Golf Aid Scramble:

Club handicap certificate or letter from secretary/professional or online handicap listing from a recognised authority e.g. Pattaya Sports Club or Thaigolfer.com

Any player who cannot provide proof of handicap will be allocated a handicap by the committee. Handicap limits are 28 for men and 36 for lady golfers.

Additional Golf

In addition to the competitions, we will be organising additional golf days throughout the Festival. These will be fun golf days priced individually. Details will be posted on the door of the Solar Golf office and sheets will be available in our official Festival Bar – O’Garas Bar and Grill. Please sign up at the Solar Golf office or by email to callum@solargolf.co.uk. The programme will also be posted at www.solargolf.com and our face book page.

Contact

callum@solargolf.co.uk wi@solargolf.co.uk sales@solargolf.co.uk

Tel: 0836 184449

Sunday at FLB then.

Thanks for the memory of the toilet demolition, I’d almost forgotten that. Head butted any golf carts lately? :whistling:

I remember it well Brian,it was the first time I played with you.

All the best this year,my rotation is totally fucked up for the games.