Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Anyone know of any good video editing software? I need to convert some MOV files from my iPhone 4 which are in HD and are too big to put up on the forum. So any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Anyone know of any good video editing software? I need to convert some MOV files from my iPhone 4 which are in HD and are too big to put up on the forum. So any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you don't need an editor, you need a converter. Lots of those online, GIYF. Or download and try Pazera, a free program, to convert to AVI format. Then you can do whatever you want with the files, because AVI is very common.

If you need an editor, hard to beat the free Microsoft Moviemaker, a really excellent program that handles AVI and lots of other formats but NOT MOV.

But you can beat Moviemaker in some conditions. Lovely little program called Machete Lite, the free version, is a terrific editor. Recent review right here.

Some have some nudity so no can do for youtube. Also I have the problem now that when I have converted the file to an AVI file, it plays the clip sideways but when I play the MOV file in quicktime player it is fine. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

You didn't say what you did to make it that way. With absolutely no information whatsoever, I'd say you should go back to the original MOV and start again, but do it a different way.

Handbreak is a good and free converter.

If you have a Mac, iMovie is good enough for what you're trying to do. If you have a Windows 7 PC then you can use Windows Live Movie Maker. These are really, really basic programs.

Handbreak is a good and free converter.

Correction. Handbrake. It's here.

If you have a Mac, iMovie is good enough for what you're trying to do. If you have a Windows 7 PC then you can use Windows Live Movie Maker. These are really, really basic programs.

As stated: Microsoft Moviemaker will not do MOV format.

I have Format Factory for conversion and am quite happy with it.

Format Factory

Well that is interesting. Microsoft themselves say they don't do it. I guess they've upgraded.

That's outdated information. You're pointing to a support page for Windows XP. That page hasn't been updated since 2010.

This is the current version's list of supported files. You'll notice that .mov is on the list. This page has been updated this year.

Now isn't that interesting?

Edited by MC_Ldop

That's outdated information. You're pointing to a support page for Windows XP. That page hasn't been updated since 2010.

Yes, that's interesting. I wouldn't say that November 2010 is outdated, not generally. But thanks for the update, it's good to know.

It's still Handbrake, too.

I have Format Factory for conversion and am quite happy with it.

Ditto thanks jacko. I'm currently in love with Freemake Video Converter, a really good converter, ripper and burner that ALSO has a brother, the Freemake Video Downloader, which fetches stuff from just about any site you can name. Format Factory looks a real treat for the ripping/converting part, thanks.

LATER edit:

Hmmmmm. Well, I'm less impressed with Format Factory than I was in the telling. 40MB is an awful lot of bloat for a program that only converts, doesn't even burn. In its defence, it will make .ISO images, and they are dead easy to burn. But that means you take up the whole DVD.

I see there's an outstanding copyright/patent charge that could be trouble for the Format Factory folks. No biggie for me except the program could be put out of business. It's freeware anyhow, the developers could just walk away anyhow. Just saying.

It DOES convert well, and a lot more than video - also pictures and audio. I did several conversions to try. GREAT advantage: You can mix up video, sound and photos and just dump them into FF and it will do the right thing. But I believe I'll stick with Freemake. The fact it doesn't do the burn part is the killer on an already way-too-huge Format Factory.

Edited by joekicker

Ditto thanks jacko. I'm currently in love with Freemake Video Converter, a really good converter, ripper and burner that ALSO has a brother, the Freemake Video Downloader, which fetches stuff from just about any site you can name. Format Factory looks a real treat for the ripping/converting part, thanks.

LATER edit:

Hmmmmm. Well, I'm less impressed with Format Factory than I was in the telling. 40MB is an awful lot of bloat for a program that only converts, doesn't even burn. In its defence, it will make .ISO images, and they are dead easy to burn. But that means you take up the whole DVD.

I see there's an outstanding copyright/patent charge that could be trouble for the Format Factory folks. No biggie for me except the program could be put out of business. It's freeware anyhow, the developers could just walk away anyhow. Just saying.

It DOES convert well, and a lot more than video - also pictures and audio. I did several conversions to try. GREAT advantage: You can mix up video, sound and photos and just dump them into FF and it will do the right thing. But I believe I'll stick with Freemake. The fact it doesn't do the burn part is the killer on an already way-too-huge Format Factory.

Oh I know it isn't perfect. I first used it many years ago and am not the type to change until something fails me. They seem to keep it up to date and have added formats as they come around. I like the price too......

40MB isn't going to hurt me.... hardly huge these days, Microsoft issue bigger updates to fix their screw-ups.

Edited by jacko

Oh I know it isn't perfect. I first used it many years ago and am not the type to change until something fails me.

No better reason I can think of for keeping software. And again I appreciate the pointer, I'd never tried it.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...