Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Can anybody give advice on teaching English in LOS.

Is there a demand for English teachers in Pattaya and the surrounding area or is the demand mainly confined to Bangkok ?

Also, any idea about rates of pay and if proper qualifications are required ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dode  :)

Check out stickman's site:

www.stickmanbangkok.com

On the whole teaching english in Thailand seems like a horrible existance.  Most work 6 days a week for $10,000-15,000 a year.   I've met expreinced english tecahers who would love to work in Thailand but there are so few choice jobs that actually pay well.

-Vox

IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FUN AND TEACH THE BEST PLACE IS JAPAN.THEY HAVE SO  MANY J0B  OPENINGS   IT NOT EVEN FUNNY., I LIVED IN JAPAN LOVE JAPAN.IT THE PLACE TO BE FOR TEACHING.AND WOMEN AND FUN.  http://www.gaijinpot.com  THAT CAN HELP YOU FIND SOME JOBS FOR YOU IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO ON IT SEND ME AND IM OK DUDE LATTER

Airborni,

With the high cost of living in Japan is it really worth teaching still? Japan is one of the mosty advanced countries in the world so standards the of living are very high.  I don't know anything about teaching in Japan. But I would think the standard for teachers are much higher than in Thailand i.e. Masters in Education?

Fishingtime

The degree is only for sponsorship.  Any type of degree is fine for conversational English schools.  Japan is still in demand for English teachers.  The pay is good, but it is a very expensive country to live in.  

The degree is only for sponsorship.  Any type of degree is fine for conversational English schools.  Japan is still in demand for English teachers.  The pay is good, but it is a very expensive country to live in.  

That is wahat I thought expensive place to live. If I was coming to Asia to teach I would take Thailand and less money I believe.

FT,

But would you take Thailand for $12,000 a year over Taiwan, Korea or Singapore for $30-50,000 a year?

I were looking to teach, I woud look into KL were you can get pretty cheap flights to Bkk or set up a mia noi a 6 hour drive away on the border (as many rich Malaysians do).

-Vox

• 2 weeks later...

I taught in Taiwan this year and loved it. Lots of work, if you can try to get a high school job (private high schools are great) and there is no income tax for high school teachers. Cost of Living is cheap (good apt. is US$400/month and you can take home US$2000. Subway ride in Taipei is 40 cents on a beautiful system. People are friendly, competent and VERY businesslike. Very busy place but not frantic and uptight, completely safe. Any kind of food you want of high quality in Taipei including excellent Thai. Pastry shops that would not be out of place in Paris (I lived in France 4 years and know about this).

TW is highly recommended.

JohnnyK,

Would it be too much to ask if you might have some links re: working/living/teaching in Taiwan?  The P4P industry sounds expensive and not that thrilling on a couple forums I checked but you never know?

Appreciate anything you might know of.

--WISteve

• 2 weeks later...

Check out  www.stickmanbangkok.com for accurate up to date info on teaching in LOS. For jobs check www.ajarn.com  I'm comming to Pattaya in October for a 6 week course on how to teach english.

Check out  www.stickman.com for accurate up to date info on teaching in LOS. I'm cooming to Pattaya in October for a 6 week course on how to teach english.

You forgot a part of it BigD!

The correct URL is www.stickmanbangkok.com

Cheers,

-Vox

• 3 weeks later...
JohnnyK,

Would it be too much to ask if you might have some links re: working/living/teaching in Taiwan?  The P4P industry sounds expensive and not that thrilling on a couple forums I checked but you never know?

Appreciate anything you might know of.

--WISteve

Steve, sorry this took such a long time. I don't spend much time browsing down this section of the board...anyway, try www.tealit.com  its a mine of info about TW. I know TW is not on the radar screen for many and I did not find it to be exotic but I went because of all the Asian groups I teach I like the TWs best, they are smart, funny, quick, generous and more. Cannot comment on the sanuk scene except its quite a bit more expensive and harder to find but I was so busy working I didn't have time. Saved my spunk until I got to LOS!

Good luck in your researches,

JK

• 1 month later...
I taught in Taiwan this year and loved it. Lots of work, if you can try to get a high school job (private high schools are great) and there is no income tax for high school teachers. Cost of Living is cheap (good apt. is US$400/month and you can take home US$2000. Subway ride in Taipei is 40 cents on a beautiful system. People are friendly, competent and VERY businesslike. Very busy place but not frantic and uptight, completely safe. Any kind of food you want of high quality in Taipei including excellent Thai. Pastry shops that would not be out of place in Paris (I lived in France 4 years and know about this).

TW is highly recommended.

The people are friendly he says ...  [smiley=bullshit.gif] [smiley=bullshit.gif]

Airborni,

With the high cost of living in Japan is it really worth teaching still? Japan is one of the mosty advanced countries in the world so standards the of living are very high.  I don't know anything about teaching in Japan. But I would think the standard for teachers are much higher than in Thailand i.e. Masters in Education?

Fishingtime

I would have to agree with Airborni.

Yes the cost of living is high but the fun you can have there is incredible, once you get used to the little Japanese customs and foibles.

I have a friend living in Hokkaido who gets so much pussy (so he tells me) and its all for free.

And I must say that on my various trips there I havent been dissapointed.

I found the secret was to get invites to some parties.

I would have to agree with Airborni.

Yes the cost of living is high but the fun you can have there is incredible, once you get used to the little Japanese customs and foibles.

I have a friend living in Hokkaido who gets so much pussy (so he tells me) and its all for free.

And I must say that on my various trips there I havent been dissapointed.

I found the secret was to get invites to some parties.

Is pussy the only thing you Brits think about?  What about the beach?  Do they even have beaches in Japan like other parts of the world.  I only ask because I know land is at a premium there.

If I migrate somewhere there has to be a beach where I can hang out and read the paper.  Day is for beach - night is for tail.  It's a division of labor..

Is pussy the only thing you Brits think about?  What about the beach?  Do they even have beaches in Japan like other parts of the world.  I only ask because I know land is at a premium there.

If I migrate somewhere there has to be a beach where I can hang out and read the paper.  Day is for beach - night is for tail.  It's a division of labor..

PP, in their rush to industrialization after WW2 the japanese figured out that to export their stuff they would need port facilities etc so with impeccable logic they built their steel mills, cement plants and other scenic wonders right on the fucking beach (saves transportation hassles you know) so that's why they all go to Hawaii. Good beaches in Okinawa but the rest, for the most part, has all the charm of an industrial waste disposal site.

Am also looking into teaching English in Asia. Gotta spend a couple of months in the PI first with  my old lady.

From my research and experience I would think that taking the 4/6 week Celta/Tesol/Tefl(insert appropriate acronym) would be useful for both teacher and students.

However, I don't see how the likes of TEFL international can justify charging $1500.00 approx, although that includes accom.  A Tefl qualification is available in the UK for £700.00 or thereabouts, approx $1000.00 US. We all know accom. is v. cheap in Thailand compared to the West.  So what gives?

Plus, positions don't require Tefl certification although they would like it. I understand that to obtain a work permit it is possible just to have a degree.

Not only that, but when one looks at the wages for teachers in Thailand, apart from the international schools, it seems that there is little difference between salaries paid to an unqualified newbie and to an experienced Tefl qualified old hand. I've seen variations as low as 3000 baht a month.  

So it doesn't take a maths degree to work out that it's gonna take a hell of a long time to recoup the outlay of $1500.00 US if there's only a 3k baht difference a month.

Thailand seems like a reasonable place to start and gain experience, see if the cap fits and then do the Tefl course. In fact the Stickman indicates that he'd wished he had a bit more practical experience before taking the Tefl course.

The only problem I can foresee is that if one is earning and sees little difference in wages for the better qualified would one actually bother to take the Tefl course? Or perhaps it will become a requirement to obtain a work permit in future?

El Puerco,

I completed the 60 hour, two week TESOL course at ECC Thailand the first two weeks of September.  I'm planning to make the big move next fall and I'm glad I took the course.  A bit of a humbling experience really, since we native english speakers take so much for granted about the language.  I would encourage you to learn everything you can before taking the plunge, in or out of an organized course.  I have a degree and have taught part-time at the college level before, so I wanted to take something with a certificate that is accepted by the Thai gov't to help grease the wheels when it came to work permit time.  The visa runs sound like they would get tiring after a while without it.

BTW, they put your grade on the FRONT of the certificate, so it's good I lucked out and got an A!  I've heard good and bad about ECC, but the facilities at Siam Square were excellent.  The instructors seemed very competent and the eye candy over the lunch hour is awe-inspiring ( you are surrounded by Uni girls).

Wish you the best of luck,

--Steve

• 8 years later...

I am an American wih degree who is lookng for a school - (preferably in Pattaya) to take an acredited Tesl course

The average is 120 hours and most promise help in finding a teaching job oncee certified. Surely, some of these schools MUST be better than others. (also, some must be rip-offs) does anyone have a school they'd recomend?

markan9@hotmail.com

There is always a demand for English teachers in Thailand. There is much more work available in Bangkok but work can be found elsewhere too, it's just harder to come by than it is in Bangkok. It is much more advantageous if you have a degree as employers prefer you to have one although you can still find work if you haven't got one, it'll just be harder. There are a variety of courses to choose from although many of them (such as the short TEFL courses) just get your foot in the door as emplyers are much more interested in how many hours of actual teaching experience you have obtained before you start. Without a degree you should expect to earn around 35k a month.

There is always a demand for English teachers in Thailand. There is much more work available in Bangkok but work can be found elsewhere too, it's just harder to come by than it is in Bangkok. It is much more advantageous if you have a degree as employers prefer you to have one although you can still find work if you haven't got one, it'll just be harder. There are a variety of courses to choose from although many of them (such as the short TEFL courses) just get your foot in the door as emplyers are much more interested in how many hours of actual teaching experience you have obtained before you start. Without a degree you should expect to earn around 35k a month.

Good.

I'd add that it's best to try to get a job before you arrive. Almost all jobs contracted or obtained in Thailand, you'll work under Thai rules, including the pay.

If the only thing you can teach is English, don't expect to make a lot more than existence money. If you have actual qualifications, you can hook on to a school and make decent money.

I once asked my Tokyo girlfriend about English teachers in Japan. She just sort of laughed. I guess they make enough money to live in Japan, but they don't exactly have much "status." Anyway, it still sounds like fun to me for a single guy.

Good.

I'd add that it's best to try to get a job before you arrive. Almost all jobs contracted or obtained in Thailand, you'll work under Thai rules, including the pay.

If the only thing you can teach is English, don't expect to make a lot more than existence money. If you have actual qualifications, you can hook on to a school and make decent money.

Much better to get yourself a job lined up before you get there, I agree. Without a degree and only a bog standard training course behind you, you're not exactly going to be hitting Soi Cowboy every night with what you're going to earn but if it's a simple life in an exotic clime that you're after, then I'd advise anyone to go for it. If you're intentions are long term then there's no reason why you couldn't study for a degree whilst residing in Thailand.

Shame I only read the OP, I discovered later that it was posted in 2002!

Much better to get yourself a job lined up before you get there, I agree. Without a degree and only a bog standard training course behind you, you're not exactly going to be hitting Soi Cowboy every night with what you're going to earn but if it's a simple life in an exotic clime that you're after, then I'd advise anyone to go for it. If you're intentions are long term then there's no reason why you couldn't study for a degree whilst residing in Thailand.

Shame I only read the OP, I discovered later that it was posted in 2002!

Yeah, but who knew Sa-teef wanted to be an English teacher?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1