Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Question about riding scooters on beach

Years ago I had great fun riding a minibike on a Florida beach until I was run off by the cops who said that the beach was an interstate and minibikes arn't allowed on interstates.

I've never seen it done on Pattaya's beach but what about Koh Larn? Or some other Thai beach.

Also on the topic of scooters, where can you buy high quality (full face) helments in Pattaya?

I saw a guy having fun riding a bike on the beach in Jomtien once, a few years ago. Everyone else called him what he was but not "fun-loving guy".

Helmets are all over the place, give it half a day of shopping and you'll find one, probably. Bike shops, obviously first place to look.

Also on the topic of scooters, where can you buy high quality (full face) helments in Pattaya?

The dealership on the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Rd has a selection. I bought 2 there a year ago.

Cheers :gulp: Admiral Ken

The dealership on the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Rd has a selection. I bought 2 there a year ago.

What did they cost?

There are a lot of cheap helmets available here. Some made here and some from china. As far as I know, only the Real brand is DOT certified. You an buy a Real helmet for less than 2,000 baht. The most important thing about a safe helmet is the fit. Unfortunately it seems like the Real brand is made for round Asian heads. I couldn't find one that fit properly. For my head shape, they are tight front to back and loose on the sides. Make sure you try the helmet on before you buy it. It should be snug all the way around. There are a lot of shops in Pattaya. I bought my last one from a small shop on Soi Buakhao. I don't remember the name of the shop but it is located between the Siam Sawadee hotel and Soi LK on the opposite side of the road.

What did they cost?

Sorry Short, cant answer that as I picked 2 and told them that they were included with the bike I just bought. They resisted at first but when I started to walk out and said I'd buy the bike elsewhere they changed their mind.

I do know that they had a reasonable range of full-face ones though as I had decided to make sure that I got 2 when I bought the bike. I must have tried about 10 or more styles before I found one I was happy with.

Buy a helmet in the US. IMHO buy a Snell approved helmet and make sure it fits. This is one piece of safety equipment where you don't want to go cheap.

• Downvote 1

Buy a helmet in the US. IMHO buy a Snell approved helmet and make sure it fits. This is one piece of safety equipment where you don't want to go cheap.

And carry it to Thailand? For a bit of fun riding?

• Upvote 1

Years ago I had great fun riding a minibike on a Florida beach until I was run off by the cops who said that the beach was an interstate and minibikes arn't allowed on interstates.

I've never seen it done on Pattaya's beach but what about Koh Larn? Or some other Thai beach.

Not sure if it could be done.

However, if I was the owner of the scooter and found you'd been riding it on the beach (ie on the beach and in the waters edge). When you returned it I'd charge you for the cost of replacing the bike.

Not sure if it could be done.

However, if I was the owner of the scooter and found you'd been riding it on the beach (ie on the beach and in the waters edge). When you returned it I'd charge you for the cost of replacing the bike.

Unfortunately though nobody would be able to replace his testicles.....

And carry it to Thailand? For a bit of fun riding?

Why not buy the best helmet on the market. Snell is the top safety rating organization. Given all the motorcycle accidents in Pattaya. I'd think twice about riding.

Why not buy the best helmet on the market. Snell is the top safety rating organization. Given all the motorcycle accidents in Pattaya. I'd think twice about riding.

So you would buy a helmet in the US, you would carry it to Pattaya and you would probably chicken out of riding in Pattaya.

Why are you in this thread?

• Downvote 1

So you would buy a helmet in the US, you would carry it to Pattaya and you would probably chicken out of riding in Pattaya.

Guy asked a question about a helmet. I rode various motorcycles for 20 years. I know good helmets from mediocre. I offered an opinion. Why risk my life driving a motorcycle when there are so many Baht buses and inexpensive car and driver available for hire?

• Downvote 1

Joe, don't you know BigD is the pattaya talk resident know it all? nuff said.

I'm interested in riding on a beach because I'm to scared to ride one on the road.

I don't need to go fast either. Just fast enough to keep it stable.

And I would rather do it with a minibike rather than a scooter because of the wider tires on a minibike.

As far as corroson from the beach, that is already happening if you are within a few hundred yards of the beach. A quick rinsing afterward and the bike would be just like before.

I'm interested in riding on a beach because I'm to scared to ride one on the road.

I don't need to go fast either. Just fast enough to keep it stable.

And I would rather do it with a minibike rather than a scooter because of the wider tires on a minibike.

As far as corroson from the beach, that is already happening if you are within a few hundred yards of the beach. A quick rinsing afterward and the bike would be just like before.

If you just wish a bit of off road fun , not seen bike hire for the purpose , but theres a quad track in Jomtien .

its located on the back road behind the Ace café ,

Joe

Edited by gs joe

I have been riding motorcycles for fifty years and I still ride here in Thailand. While in the US, I used Bell and Arthur Fulmer helmets. Neither brand would be good here because of the hot weather. For Thailand you need a well ventilated helmet. I did look at Fulmer and bell helmets on the Internet and now they do offer ventilated models.

I looked at a Real "Ozzie" model here and the dealer told me that I wouldn't be happy with it because it would be too hot to wear here. I agreed with him.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that you would be well advised to get one that is well ventilated. Full face are safer but hotter too. I have never been able to wear a full face helmet.

When I’ve intended to ride a bike in LOS I have brought my own lid over from the UK. Doesn’t take up that much room and you stuff the space inside with other stuff. Best compromise is a Flip front helmet open face for the ventilation in the heat then full face for the faster bits when your getting a bit of a breeze. I like the “Roof” range been using them for a good few years now never had to crash test them yet but nice lids.

http://www.helmetsuperstore.co.uk/Roof-Helmets_B23GUW.aspx

In regards to the 'mini-bike,' I have found even with the fatter tires, the much smaller tire diameters, insufficient suspension, handlebars, engine response, overall design, etc.. make them very unstable compared to a regular off-road 'motorcycle' (not a motorbike). So, if safety and handling is your concern, then rent a 'dirt-bike' motorcycle and ride it off-road. They come in small sizes that are exceptionally easy for an inexperienced rider (I've trained a dozen of my kids friends to ride on our CA ranch. Make sure you know how to STOP before you go and be coordinated enough to do a figure 8 with a bicycle in a parking lot... you'd be surprised :).

For helmets, they are really cheap here and yes, they are designed for the Asian head shapes, but brands seem to shape their helmets differently. For instance in the USA, I can wear a Shoei and Bell, but not an Arai. For helmets, I still remember what my motorcycle mechanic and old-time rider once told me. Cover the parts of your head you want to keep. A half-helmet will cover your skull; a 3/4 helmet will cover your skull and down past your ears; and a full-face helmet will cover, well... you get the picture :)

In the states, I have a separate full-face helmet for each of my motorcycles and bought a couple that you can flip up the front as well - Shoei ($350+) and Zeus ($150) - that are really great for while waiting at a signal light or chatting in the parking lot. The speeds we ride here don't make it much different, but in the States, I have different helmets for each bike as the aerodynamics are different on each bike and wind noise can become an issue. I did bring one of my full-face flip-up helmets here to Thailand and although I was concerned about the heat, I have found it very comfortable all-year round. It has never even closely approached the heat I encountered riding through CA Death Valley during the middle of a hot summer day wearing my full-face helmet and riding gear :) I know I lost a few brain cells on that day!

Well, keep the rubber side down and remember the "right of way" here is very different... yeah, there is none :) (or it's the merging traffic rather than the ongoing traffic has the right of way :). While riding motorcycles in the USA, my mantra was I am in the middle of a video game where all the cars and trucks are trying to kill me for points, but they can't see me. Here in Thailand, my mantra is every car, truck and motorbike is being driven by dead zombies and they can see me and will try to hit me every chance they get so they can make you crash and eat you or collect 20k baht :) ! Yeah!

Take care and enjoy your moments of happiness (Buddhist thought) here in LOS.

In regards to the 'mini-bike,' I have found even with the fatter tires, the much smaller tire diameters, insufficient suspension, handlebars, engine response, overall design, etc.. make them very unstable compared to a regular off-road 'motorcycle' (not a motorbike). So, if safety and handling is your concern, then rent a 'dirt-bike' motorcycle and ride it off-road.

A pick-up would be safer and provide more stability.