Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Just a general inquiry, as I have heard both good and bad about the Thail postal service.

Would anybody trust receiving a credit card through the mail in Thailand. I am concerned with the periodic re-issue of various cards once I retire to LOS, and whether I would be better off relying on FedEx or DHL service.

Thanks in advance

SB

I have had 3 cards mailed to me over the years... and prefer FedEx for them. I have never had the Thai postal service misplace a package, but have had only packages sent - not letters. Fedex can get a card here for about $30 - not bad at all really.

Just a general inquiry, as I have heard both good and bad about the Thail postal service.

Would anybody trust receiving a credit card through the mail in Thailand. I am concerned with the periodic re-issue of various cards once I retire to LOS, and whether I would be better off relying on FedEx or DHL service.

Thanks in advance

SB

I think you'll find that credit/debit cards are on the list of prohibited/restricted items for DHL. I would guess the same would likely apply to Fedex.

I have had 3 cards mailed to me over the years... and prefer FedEx for them. I have never had the Thai postal service misplace a package, but have had only packages sent - not letters. Fedex can get a card here for about $30 - not bad at all really.

If you are using postal, make sure it is done via Registered Mail, is the only good hope

If FedEx can do for $30, is good cost, give it a try

But, get some kind of accountability with the service, pay extra for that

Ya, its against the rules to mail stamps, money and all sorts of other things too, but that doesnt stop most people.

I do not see Credit/Debit cards on the list at fedex.com tho.

I think you'll find that credit/debit cards are on the list of prohibited/restricted items for DHL. I would guess the same would likely apply to Fedex.

AND some banks in the US and other countries won't mail credit cards to Thailand, among other countries. It can get complicated.

i have had no problems sending anything to Thailand by post but as stated most banks not only in the US will not be happy about posting cards to Thailand and they also do not like you using your cards there.

i have had no problems sending anything to Thailand by post but as stated most banks not only in the US will not be happy about posting cards to Thailand and they also do not like you using your cards there.

My solution is just to have someone mail me the cards -- the Thai cards to the US when necessary, the US banks to Thailand when necessary. If you're going to live in Thailand, you should have a drop address in your home country anyway. There are lots of stories about credit cards being stolen from the mail, and I'm sure it happens, but I don't know anyone it has happened to.

AND some banks in the US and other countries won't mail credit cards to Thailand, among other countries. It can get complicated.

That is correct, you will need to have the cards mailed to an address within the States and have a third party mail them to you. My advice is have the third party put your credit card inside a greeting card and mail it.

If you are using postal, make sure it is done via Registered Mail, is the only good hope

If FedEx can do for $30, is good cost, give it a try

But, get some kind of accountability with the service, pay extra for that

I only wish this were secure. I sent document from the USA to Thailand REGISTERED. The fuckers stole the documents anyway. The cost of replacing those documents was monumental. When the intended recipient of said stolen documents reminded the local Post Office that they had been sent REGISTERED and there was a paper trail, the Post Office worker got weird and almost admitted that they knew it was stolen.

I assume they thought there was cash, or a credit card in the manilla folder.

I assume they thought there was cash, or a credit card in the manilla folder.

REGISTERED is an instruction to STEAL ME. Registered mail has its place, but I don't think international mail with valuable documents is one of those places.

I have used the Thai EMS to mail sensitive and important documents and never had a problem. I am impressed with the EMS service and consider it very good considering that the other government services are so bad.

The bank and credit cards that were delivered here came by registered mail and they got here OK. Bank of America did use FedEx for a credit card and it got here fine also. Normally Bank of America sends credit cards via registered mail but they neglected to mail my new card and when I complained they sent it FedEx.

Edited by Gary

Thanks for all of the replies and insight.

I am still not sure about the restrictions some of you mentioned about banks sending cards via FedEx or DHL,

as I have had Chase offer to send me replacement cards via FedEx in the past. Although, this was to my home in the US.

In any case, I appreciate the info.

Thanks

SB

I think there must be some exceptions in place. I lost my Visa debit card (from a US bank) a couple of years ago and Visa International sent me a replacement card via DHL. It was shipped from Singapore as I recall, and arrived at my hotel in Bangkok in 2 days.

Thanks in advance

SB

Generally the CC issuers will not cover you if the card gets lost and/or misused after you had forwarded it via mail. IE they tell you not to do it. I would not trust regular Thai mail, but might go along with FedEx/DHL etc.

I manage to avoid the issue a few ways.

Get local credit cards.

Use your USA ones near-never, I find I only need them to buy my airticket.

I do the odd trip home and prior, I will check all my UK cards and see if any are due to expire, and request a new one to be issued. Fortunately I do have a mailing address in the UK where they can be received.

I DON'T use my credit card here in Thailand. There is simply too much fraud to take a chance. I do use it often for online purchases, online hotel reservations and airline tickets. I use a Bank of America Visa card. I considered that risky too but using a credit card is usually about the only way to to make a purchase online. Here in Thailand, I make a bank transfer for in country companies. That's kind of inconvenient because it requires a trip to an ATM.

Bank of America used to refuse at least one out of three of my online international transactions. I would have to call them to get those transactions approved. They now have a deal called Shop Safe. You open Shop Safe and tell it you are going to make a transaction and how much that transaction is going to cost. They then give you a one time use card number, security code and a 60 day validity. Not one of my purchases has been rejected and the vendor cannot use the number for more money than I specified plus he can only use that number once. That is one of the few Bank of America good ideas. It works great and I have peace of mind.

Hi,

My bank, Lloyds TSB. in Britain will not send C.C.s or D.C.s outside the Btitish Isles. Was quoted this when i went into Lloyds bank last Oct. I have mine sent here by my daughter, by registered post. Just recieved my new debit card two weeks ago. Cost from my home by reg. mail 2 pound 50p. Recieved in four days.

New C.C.'s or D.C's have no value, they will be replaced free, if lost or stolen, in post. They will not work until you have validated them. To validate them you have to activate them, with your PIN number, at an A.T.M.. Banks also do not send cards with PIN numbers in the same post. This is if you have requested a new PIN number. Or it is your first card. They always send it in another letter, in three or four days. If they do not do this, change your bank. No good asking for trouble. Without activating your card you will not be able to use it, over internet or phone etc. Nor will anyone else. This is also why the numbers on your new card are different to your old card. At least this is what they do at Lloyd TSB.

Been with them now for 25 years. Had my wallet stolen 7 years ago in Patts. Cards blocked when i phoned them, and replaced free of charge within 36 hours.

The advantage of using a C.C. is that if anything happened, airline, or travel firm, went bust etc. It is up to the C.C. firm to reimburse you. Providing you pay back the money on time, there will be no bank charges.

Cheers Doug.

Ive had 2 lots of replacement cards sent from my bank in OZ, both times they came via DHL.