Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Services and Facilities from RG Towards Jomtien

I enjoy the RG, nice mix of price, service, facilities etc., and other than a romp at Jade House I haven't ventured (east?) towards Thepprasit (e.g. towards the many posted Rose Apple massage).

Since the baht buses keep on busing past the RG is there anything farther down the road? The Pattaya Photoguide shows a lot of various enterprises etc., and some possibly bar complex at the intersection?

Anyone know if there is a good money changer or bank for changing traveller's cheques in that direction? A larger grocery (larger than Family Mart that is), massage or beer bars, the usual that would be on Thappraya and not too far to the left or right? Say as far as the intersection with Thepprasit or a bit farther?

E.g. Kinnaree, I think I'd take a motor taxi vs. walk inland from the baht bus, but others may be closer.

If I wanted to go to Jomtien beach can I stay on a past-RG baht bus and expect that's where it goes?

If I wanted to go to Jomtien beach can I stay on a past-RG baht bus and expect that's where it goes?

Yes, it goes on to Jomtien. Can't tell you much useful about the other questions.

There is a very nice, well-stocked grocery store just next to the well-publicized Rose Apple. Get a massage and then pick up some snacks for the room. They have a good selection of imported foods.

Continuing on the baht bus, just as it turns towards the beach, there is one gogo, open in the daytime, and a bar section enclosed in a kind of mall complex. You can't see many of the bars from the road. One in particular, Fantasy Bar, is reportedly good for a relaxing visit.

Staying on the baht bus as it turns to run parallel to the beach, look for the small sois running inland. There are lots of restaurants and massage places in many of them. Get off at Soi 5 and check each one out. They are close together at that point, so it's not a lot of walking.

Also, try to find Sam's Mexican behind the one and only gogo in town. It's a good restaurant!

The Go-Go (We are Number 1) only opens at 1500 on Saturday & Sunday.

There is a Bank (Thai Military) just after the traffic Lights at Thepprasit junction and several more towards & along Jomtien Beach Road.

The Jomtien Complex has several bars many of which cater for the gay market.

The Fantasy Bar is very good value for money certainly for the drinks it has over 800 bottles of spirits & there are ladies in the evenings but this is more a place for a friendly drink or three. Can be crowded with Scuba types in the late afternoon at least one of the diving schools uses the place. The Hot Dogs are good.

DSCN1579.jpg DSCN1577.jpg

Beerlao was 40 Bt in Nov 2009

DSCF1480rs.jpg

A nip from the Left Bottle was 8,000 Bt & from the Right bottle was 6,500 Bt. They are Hennessey Brandies BTW I'm told the price is reasonable!!!

DSCF1479rs.jpg

The RG has a sister hotel on Jomtien Beach Road it's a bit cheaper but has no lift.

stevoh

Edited by stevemcm
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info.

So if I get on a BB uphill from RG and stay on it, the bus turns (right I presume) past Thepprasit, staying as Thappraya Road, to Jomtien Beach and at the end of that route does it double back? E.g. If I am in Jomtien how do I get back to Thappraya and the RG? Just cross the street from where I got off?

What I am asking is do I have to retrace my route on a new BB or does one go in a circle? I am "walking the route" on Pattaya Photoguide and I see generally where things are.

I have a few days on my own as I arrive the 28th and the ying was told September 1. That said it seems safer to poke around Jomtien vs. go anywhere near, say LK Metro or Bukhao etc.

I think I can sneak down to FLB when it's dark.

Stupid question (to some) but in a Thai bank does one queue up for a teller and present a traveller's cheque and the passport or is there some booth/counter etc., for changing foreign currency? Will they have any English or is it a silent transaction being fairly obvious I want Baht. I used only ATM's last time but I can save a few bob on one $500 traveller's cheque at a time.

Edited by ricktoronto

The cognac on the left is Hennessy Louis XIII and costs CAD$2,800 a 750 ml bottle here. That's THB84,560 and THB112 per ml, so a one ounce shot (Imperial oz.) would be worth THB3,200 or so.

They have another cognac, also sold here, in a less fancy bottle called Richard Hennessy for CAD$4,500 and there is one called Timeless for CAD$15,000. Not sold here though. Shit, there goes Christmas. :banghead

Edited by ricktoronto

So if I get on a BB uphill from RG and stay on it, the bus turns (right I presume) past Thepprasit, staying as Thappraya Road, to Jomtien Beach and at the end of that route does it double back? E.g. If I am in Jomtien how do I get back to Thappraya and the RG? Just cross the street from where I got off?

What I am asking is do I have to retrace my route on a new BB or does one go in a circle? I am "walking the route" on Pattaya Photoguide and I see generally where things are.

Stupid question (to some) but in a Thai bank does one queue up for a teller and present a traveller's cheque and the passport or is there some booth/counter etc., for changing foreign currency? Will they have any English or is it a silent transaction being fairly obvious I want Baht. I used only ATM's last time but I can save a few bob on one $500 traveller's cheque at a time.

I don't know where the turn around point for the baht bus is in Jomtien but getting back is generally a matter of crossing the street. I say generally because once I got on a baht bus in Jomtien that started up the hill and somewhere near the crest, it turned left in the direction of the water. Had to get off, walk back to the main road and catch another once past the turn-off.

Haven't used traveler's checks in a while, but the street side currency exchange windows affiliated with banks all post rates for traveler's checks as well as for currency. It's basically a silent transaction. I don't recall they ask for your passport anymore. A thought, will your TCs be denominated in CDN$? If so, I wonder if having the teller think they are US$ and being short-changed is a concern?

There are plenty of exchange booths operated by the main thai banks all over pattaya and jomtien.

You will need to show the staff your passport and they will ask for the name of your hotel and probably the room number as well. The staff know enough English to enable the transaction to be completed. (I've never tried to have a more in depth conversation with them).

Cheers

TG

Yes catch the BB going uphill. The BBs do not travel the full length of Jomtien Beach Road although they will if you ask them. Generally they do not go further than Soi Chaiyapruek unless requested & there are few customers beyond this point. Very often the drivers turn round after the last customer gets off.

All the vendors, bar girls, etc. know a Baht Bus or Moto Sai Taxi driver and will call one for you for a small tip. Often the driver is based at this end of town and will give a better price than the drivers from Pattaya, in this manner I once got a BB from Soi Wat Boon to Pattaya Soi 6, for 60 Bt.

As for Traveller's Cheques I once had a problem because I signed the cheque before the girl asked me. Even though she saw me do it, she refused to cash it, I summoned the manager & he overrode her decision. Just being a jobsworth I suppose but now I wait till asked.

stevoh.

Thanks for the info.

I have a few days on my own as I arrive the 28th and the ying was told September 1. That said it seems safer to poke around Jomtien vs. go anywhere near, say LK Metro or Bukhao etc.

I think I can sneak down to FLB when it's dark.

I enjoy the RG, nice mix of price, service, facilities etc., and other than a romp at Jade House I haven't ventured (east?) towards Thepprasit (e.g. towards the many posted Rose Apple massage).

Since the baht buses keep on busing past the RG is there anything farther down the road? The Pattaya Photoguide shows a lot of various enterprises etc., and some possibly bar complex at the intersection?

Anyone know if there is a good money changer or bank for changing traveller's cheques in that direction? A larger grocery (larger than Family Mart that is), massage or beer bars, the usual that would be on Thappraya and not too far to the left or right? Say as far as the intersection with Thepprasit or a bit farther?

E.g. Kinnaree, I think I'd take a motor taxi vs. walk inland from the baht bus, but others may be closer.

This isn't a flame. However it sounds like you haven't done some of the more fun things in Pattaya, like exploring. If you want to know where the baht bus goes after RG, stay on it. It's only 10 baht to get back. Don't rely on others to tell you where to go. There are many hidden jem's to find. You can get out and walk in any direction, or just pick one direction a day. Ask a motorbike taxi what it would cost to drive you around for an hour with multiple stops, then just point and say this way, go in circles, do U turns and explorer. Sit and have a beer with the driver and ask him questions about places he takes customers to, or goes himself. He might know of some nice karaoke that you would never find on your own.

I had thought of asking the moto guys at Family Mart across the street about a drive, and also going to Kinnaree since I am not walking there trying to find it, though I'm not sure not sure of their English and their desire to go at 1000 kpm is something I am not a huge fan of.