Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

It's just up the hill so anyone know if it is any good and does it have OK Thai food?

TG reluctantly ate Mexican food yesterday at Mikes (a bit costly but not terrible)

And while the food at PBG has been pretty good of late, Mata Hari is closer and, different.

It's just up the hill so anyone know if it is any good and does it have OK Thai food?

TG reluctantly ate Mexican food yesterday at Mikes (a bit costly but not terrible)

And while the food at PBG has been pretty good of late, Mata Hari is closer and, different.

Restaurants are pretty much a personal opinion thing. I haven't been in it for almost 2 years but it would rate as one of my favourite three or four favourite restaurants in Pattaya. They do serve Thai food and have a pretty decent website.

Mata Hari

As an aside, are you the same guy that recommended Chang Lemon and Lime Soda Water?

Mata Hari is very good. I'd recommend it for a fine dining experience.

One thing tho...last time I ordered the Steak Diane along with my GF who ordered the same. We both asked for "medium rare".

Hers came pinkish, mine came blood red (or "blue" as some call it). I requested it be sent back to be cooked some more, and the owner came over and told me that my steak was cooked "medium rare" by his standards (European).

I pointed at my GFs steak, which looked the way I wanted mine to be, saying it was ordered "medium rare" as well.

He sort of ignored that, so I changed tack and said that the last time I ordered that dish, it was prepared correctly. I asked if he had a new cook. He got quite miffed and said, "No, she has been with me 17 years! She is my wife!" At that point, I just said "Could you ask your wife to cook it a bit more, please?"

I'd order the chicken or fish if you don't want to have an argument about cooking standards.

Seriously, though, the food is very good.

One thing tho...last time I ordered the Steak Diane along with my GF who ordered the same. We both asked for "medium rare".

Hers came pinkish, mine came blood red (or "blue" as some call it). I requested it be sent back to be cooked some more, and the owner came over and told me that my steak was cooked "medium rare" by his standards (European).

I pointed at my GFs steak, which looked the way I wanted mine to be, saying it was ordered "medium rare" as well.

He sort of ignored that, so I changed tack and said that the last time I ordered that dish, it was prepared correctly. I asked if he had a new cook. He got quite miffed and said, "No, she has been with me 17 years! She is my wife!" At that point, I just said "Could you ask your wife to cook it a bit more, please?"

I'd order the chicken or fish if you don't want to have an argument about cooking standards.

If the resturant is as good as this, you would think the manager would be more accomodating to his customers, did this not put you off from returning? im sure it would to some.

If the resturant is as good as this, you would think the manager would be more accomodating to his customers, did this not put you off from returning? im sure it would to some.

I've not been back, but not because of that ... or is it? Maybe I lost a bit of enthusiasm for the dining experience there.

Every other time I have been there, it has been very good.

I'd not hesitate to recommend it, but you should be aware that the owner, if you happen to have reason to deal with him, might be rather frustrating to deal with.

I've also curtailed my restaurant eating in favor of a home cooked meal like this from 2 nights ago:

20110904_030856.jpg

It's my favorite of the fine dining restaurants in Pattaya, and interesting that MM mentions the steak dianne, because thats what I often come back for. One thing though- why would you go there for Thai food? Plenty of cheapo places knock out just as decent Thai food.

Edited by sabang

I certainly have come across some European's version of medium rare being closer to raw than I liked, being more familiar with UK/USA levels of cooking. No explanation as to why two would be different is there? Only good steak gets away with being cooked rare, that and the fear of blue have driven me to order medium, solely to avoid disappointment.

I certainly have come across some European's version of medium rare being closer to raw than I liked, being more familiar with UK/USA levels of cooking. No explanation as to why two would be different is there? Only good steak gets away with being cooked rare, that and the fear of blue have driven me to order medium, solely to avoid disappointment.

No, he sort of brushed that point aside while he was explaining rather arrogantly how (continental) Europeans (e.g. Belgian, French or Swiss...can't recall which he is) had a different standard for meat cooking. The experience did somewhat detract from the dinner's ambiance, I will admit.

No, he sort of brushed that point aside while he was explaining rather arrogantly how (continental) Europeans (e.g. Belgian, French or Swiss...can't recall which he is) had a different standard for meat cooking. The experience did somewhat detract from the dinner's ambiance, I will admit.

Well that would make sense, after all, you are an American,, in Thailand. Maybe he was trying to tell you is that Europeans don't cook a steak to a customers satisfaction, just expect them to eat anything put in front of them.

• Downvote 2

i have not eating there since it moved from second road between soi 7 and soi 8 years ago but when it used to be there i used it most weeks while i was in pattaya as the owner was a friend of my friends and comes from holland and the food was really good.

It's my favorite of the fine dining restaurants in Pattaya, and interesting that MM mentions the steak dianne, because thats what I often come back for. One thing though- why would you go there for Thai food? Plenty of cheapo places knock out just as decent Thai food.

I have no idea of the Mata Hari's Thai food, never tried it. Have you had any? I'm not a huge fan of their western food, frankly, not that I eat western food other than seafood very much in Pattaya. I've always had a soft spot for Pan Pan, mainly because I discovered it in Bangkok three, four centuries ago when it was an ice cream shop, and I MUST eat a charon every so often or my life isn't worth living. I can't remember any of the three or four meals I've had at Mata Hari and the only reason I went back after the first time was because others insisted. Not horrible ever, but not memorable ever, either.

That said. When I want good Thai food I ALSO don't go to cheapo places that knock it out so that it's decent. Good Thai food, like any good food including Steak Diane, has to be well cooked by experienced chefs/cooks who use the best ingredients.

One of my favourite restaurants in Pattaya. Louis (the owner) can be a bit bizarre especially if he has a few single malts inside him!

How deft and diplomatic! Bizarre is not the word I would use!