Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Renovations at the Pattaya Beer Garden

After months of planning and hair pulling we will be ripping the old kitchen apart this week and installing a better bigger version. The work starts in the early hours of Monday morning and if the Thai gods are willing will be completed on Friday 16 September. The brand new kitchen should be in full operation again on Saturday.

We have always struggled to meet demand in the high season but with the new bigger kitchen there will be 4 more cooking positions and more space for preparation and refrigeration. With the extra staff and equipment we hope to provide a better service this high season.

We have also taken the opportunity to revamp and extend the existing menu. There are a few more farang dishes, a lot more Thai dishes and most interestingly a whole new selection of E-Sarn food. While you probably don’t care much about the E-Sarn food we are hoping that your girlfriend will care a whole lot! The staff is certainly excited about the addition of the E-Sarn dishes.

We are also replacing the false floor on Balcony number 1. The floor on balcony number 2 cracked up last year and had to be replaced. Number 1 is starting to crack as well so I thought we might as well fix it now rather than wait for it to become unusable.

Sadly the new menu will see some modest price increases. We have not adjusted our prices for three years now and the additional costs of food and liquor have been quite large during that time. In the main increases have been kept to 5 or 10 baht with a few minor exceptions where cost prices have increased quite dramatically.

The bar will remain open throughout the renovations but we will not be serving food.

I apologise for the inconvenience during the renovations but we will I hope end up with an even better Beer Garden.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's a completely new wine list although at the lower end of the price bracket. Some very nice Aussi wines and a great New Zealand white too.

Speaking of the wine list can you give me an idea of the wine prices and do you sell by the bottle or glass? Also good luck with the renovations.

Wonderful. A revamp of the kitchen is long over due. I'll be looking forward to trying out your new food list.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's a completely new wine list although at the lower end of the price bracket. Some very nice Aussi wines and a great New Zealand white too.

At my local Thai restaurant in the UK, I get some pretty decent Thai wine - I think it is called Monsoon.

Speaking of the wine list can you give me an idea of the wine prices and do you sell by the bottle or glass? Also good luck with the renovations.

Wine is expensive in Thailand because of a very high tax. Having said that we try real hard to find good wine at reasonable prices and our markup on wine is very low. Over the last few weeks I have made the extreme sacrifice of tasting over 30 bottles of wine (provided free by our suppliers) to try and find some bargains.

We do sell by the glass at 110 baht and bottles range from 750 to 1,380 although we do also stock Moet and Chandon Champagne for 4,950 baht a bottle.

I'm supposed to be meeting a lady at PBG tonight for a meal.

Never mind. I'll take her a bag of crisps from the 7/11. thumbup

When you're planning a meal with a lady in Pattaya, you really can't beat Burger King.

Or so I read.

Wine is expensive in Thailand because of a very high tax. Having said that we try real hard to find good wine at reasonable prices and our markup on wine is very low. Over the last few weeks I have made the extreme sacrifice of tasting over 30 bottles of wine (provided free by our suppliers) to try and find some bargains.

We do sell by the glass at 110 baht and bottles range from 750 to 1,380 although we do also stock Moet and Chandon Champagne for 4,950 baht a bottle.

Thanks for that information I knew wine was expensive there and now I have found out why. I will have to stop by and have one or two.

Always the 1st place I visit when in Patts

change in menu good idea I always enjoy trying

something different.

Last June me and 2 friends had dinner there

we all had separate dishes and shared a Pad Thai

next day we all had the runs and slight stomach

pains. I was quite surprised as I have never

had a bad meal there.

But will be there again in November and have

a chat with Wi and Oot

That's good news about the menu, more than a few times I have eaten thai with a few different girls and the opinion was usually. lovely seating, lovely view but food not so tasty. I had to agree with them that it had too much of a generic made for farang taste. The esaan addition will be a welcome addition.

Well we did not make our Saturday opening target. It was always an ambitious target to finish it in 6 days but I didn't want to extend the target as we would undoubtedly have missed any new target as well.

Things are looking good for re-opening the kitchen tomorrow (Monday 19th) around 6 pm.

I'm actually very pleased with the work done and the staff are looking forward to getting to grips with all the new flash equipment. Monday night service might be a little slow as we bed in all the new gear and the new menu.

Well done Pete, I'll be paying you a visit shortly as I always enjoy PBG - and my other half is looking forward to trying the Issan dishes - I think that's a good move on your part.

I would just like to say that when the kitchen was closed this was a real downer as I start most nights from the PBG. Dont do it again Pete!!!

I was there last night with some locals and we had a mix of Euro and Thai food and it was appreciated by all. The cost increases have been modest but I still wont be buying any bottles of wine as Thai prices seem very high.

Just as important to me is that the quality of the people there are as usual great and I have to pick out for special praise Ae and Landuen.

Welcome back to being an integral part of the Pattaya scene.

• 1 year later...

Hey Pete,

looks like I will be missing you guys for another year or so while I save up for my impending retirement

in about 5 years from the navy..I will be purchasing a condo or house there, any sugestions about same?

spring

PS. Tell all the girls spring said hello, sorry no spring games for awhile..lol..they no what I mean

PBG has seen its share of mixed reviews on the boards, and sadly my one experience there was one of the negative ones and so extraordinally awful with the food & staff that I never returned - even after spending well over a year in Pattaya all told from my various trips.

But fair credit to a business owner that's willing to invest in making some major improvements, so I'll give it another shot during these next few months.

It has always been a must for me to visit PBG whenever in Patts....perhaps because I live up country I appreciate it more than those arriving from Westernised countries!!

I have noticed that service is a bit rude at times...normally busy times..and I think the number of staff should be increased at known busy hours..

As I mentioned I live ooop north and survive in the village using my adequate Thai language skills...Try talking to your server in Thai all you get is a tut then inadequate English back!!

I often visit the PBG when in Pattaya and never had any complaints about the grub or the service. But the table lighting could be improved upon as it's too dim to see what you're eating.

It has always been a must for me to visit PBG whenever in Patts....perhaps because I live up country I appreciate it more than those arriving from Westernised countries!!

I have noticed that service is a bit rude at times...normally busy times..and I think the number of staff should be increased at known busy hours..

As I mentioned I live ooop north and survive in the village using my adequate Thai language skills...Try talking to your server in Thai all you get is a tut then inadequate English back!!

Never, ever had issues with the staff whatsoever.