Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Sport for real men

I have really being enjoying the Rugby World cup.

The thing that strikes me most about the game is that it is a game for real men... nobody faking injury and faces covered in blood and sweat.

Unlike sissy games like American football where the players wear more padding than the Michelin man or soccer where guys get stretchered off after the slightest touch.

Ice hockey is not a man's game either due to the excessive padding.

The only games that require men to be tougher than rugby are Australian rules, Gaelic football and the toughest team sport of the lot Hurling where everyone carries a stick, nobody wears padding and you play on with the blood pouring from you.

Hi,

Ireland and Wales look two of the best teams on form and meet next weekend. Should be a great game. I'd expect South Africa to beat Australia and New Zealand will be hard to beat on home turf despite the big loss of Carter. Should be a good finish to the event.

Hi,

Ireland and Wales look two of the best teams on form and meet next weekend. Should be a great game. I'd expect South Africa to beat Australia and New Zealand will be hard to beat on home turf despite the big loss of Carter. Should be a good finish to the event.

Ireland and Wales are third tier teams.

Englans, France and Argentina are second tier teams

Ausralia,South Africa and New Zealand are the powerhouses of rugby.

Carter is going to be a huge loss to New Zealand that is why I expect Australia to win the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

The thing that strikes me most about the game is that it is a game for real men... nobody faking injury and faces covered in blood and sweat.

Unlike sissy games like American football where the players wear more padding than the Michelin man or soccer where guys get stretchered off after the slightest touch.

The only games that require men to be tougher than rugby are Australian rules, Gaelic football and the toughest team sport of the lot Hurling where everyone carries a stick, nobody wears padding and you play on with the blood pouring from you.

I'll pass this on to boxers, wrestlers, lacrosse players, UFC camps, muay thai trainers ...

I must have been dreaming when Dean Richards copped his ban for his role in Bloodgate. whistling.gif

Unlike sissy games like American football where the players wear more padding than the Michelin man

Rugby players are tough, but . . .

these guys are not sissies. :uh-uh:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IjJtCNAinpc

I'll pass this on to boxers, wrestlers, lacrosse players, UFC camps, muay thai trainers ...

My daughter begs to differ. "Water Polo is the toughest there is". She and her teamates joke about what a bunch of wimps the Boys Football Team is compared to them. On a serious note, water polo players really are tough.

A few motnhs back a brief conversation with a CPO in charge of recruiting SEALS from the Navy and Marines. "We look for endurance,tenacity,and integrity: former Water Polo & La Crosse players seem to do the best......."

My daughter begs to differ. "Water Polo is the toughest there is".

That's why I put three dots.

Look. Arguing that "they are tough" as the MERIT of a sport is... whoops, almost launched a personal attack there.

But isn't that the point of sports? If they're not tough, what's their value?

She and her teamates joke about what a bunch of wimps the Boys Football Team is compared to them. On a serious note, water polo players really are tough.

On a serious note, they certainly are. So are gridiron football players. So are hockey players. So are FIELD hockey players.

I wouldn't argue that rugby isn't tough -- of course not. But I'd point out that like all sports, there are very, very special safety rules, and in rugby they include about how you can (and cannot) tackle, for example. That's why more people are injured playing top-notch US football than in rugby because of those different rules. But one isn't tougher than the other, it can't even be measured. No uncommitted player can compete in top-notch sports of any kind.

As for diving, well, I suppose water polo players don't, hahahaha. But in professional versions of so-called "manly sports" they dive all the time. Including in rugby.

Why not just ENJOY the sports you enjoy competing in or watching? Why does yours have to be bigger than mine? How does it boost your ego that your sport is "tougher" than mine? So what?

It's like saying Thai food is BETTER than French -- when it totally depends on how much YOU enjoy it, and me.

Have you played hockey? Have you seen a top-level game in the real? You should, then you wouldn't let such drivel escape your lips.

Yeah, Gareth Thomas is a real mans man!

My daughter begs to differ. "Water Polo is the toughest there is". She and her teamates joke about what a bunch of wimps the Boys Football Team is compared to them. On a serious note, water polo players really are tough.

A few motnhs back a brief conversation with a CPO in charge of recruiting SEALS from the Navy and Marines. "We look for endurance,tenacity,and integrity: former Water Polo & La Crosse players seem to do the best......."

I played water polo in the UK and Malta.

You got hit ... you got, 'push offs' kicks aimed at your bollox and because........especially when playing in a bit of roped off sea like they do in Malta , the officials can't spot a lot of what goes on, you have to fend for yourself.

However I count rugby more physical.

The Irish don't play it much ....keep drowning alll the horses!

Englans, France and Argentina are second tier teams

Ausralia,South Africa and New Zealand are the powerhouses of rugby.

Carter is going to be a huge loss to New Zealand that is why I expect Australia to win the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

IRB World Rankings - 26 September 2011Position (last week)Member UnionRating Point1(1)NZL.gifNEW ZEALAND90.622(2)RSA.gifSOUTH AFRICA86.713(3)AUS.gifAUSTRALIA84.844(4)ENG.gifENGLAND83.995(5)FRA.gifFRANCE83.726(6)IRE.gifIRELAND82.507(7)WAL.gifWALES80.738(9) arrow_up_blue.gifARG.gifARGENTINA79.669(8) arrow_down_red.gifSCO.gifSCOTLAND76.7610(12) arrow_up_blue.gifSAM.gifSAMOA75.81Full rankingsLatest News Rss

I expect Australia to win the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Hi,

If I accept what you say how do you explain Irelands victory over Aus ?

If I accept what you say how do you explain Irelands victory over Aus ?

Sometimes so-so teams have a great day, and great teams have an off day???

Hi,

Dont write off the English either. They are getting into a lot of bother but it might help team bonding. :rolleyes: The French can beat anyone when in the mood, as the All Blacks know to their cost.

Hi,

Dont write off the English either. They are getting into a lot of bother but it might help team bonding. :rolleyes: The French can beat anyone when in the mood, as the All Blacks know to their cost.

If Johhny Wilkinson gets his kicking boots right then there is no reason that England can't win.

If Johhny Wilkinson gets his kicking boots right then there is no reason that England can't win.

Hi,

Jonny is on a flight home as we speak. Hope Wales do well, not impressed with Australia at all. How many teams win a game with match stats so against them ?

IRB World Rankings - 10 October 2011 Position (last week) Member Union Rating Point

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 90.62

2(3) AUSTRALIA 87.21

3(2) SOUTH AFRICA 84.34

4(6) WALES 83.21

5(8) FRANCE 82.68

6(4) ENGLAND 81.58

7(5) IRELAND 80.65

8(7) ARGENTINA 80.28