Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

You can join Truelife, free, use a throwaway email, etc.

After you join, you can see a lot of live, streaming TV, many stations 24 hours a day, right from the floods. Right now I recommend TNN, but several other stations aren't too bad.

Start here at Truelife.com.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was about the same in 1980-something, I'm having a total blackout exactly what year, 1983 ... or so. It went on for three months, too, it was really bad. Then, as now, my own house was in a dry are

To label this years floods "the worst in living memory" is a bit of a stretch considering the Tsunami a few years back.

We have had our fair share of rain in Khon Kaen and more is due today and tomorrow from Tropical Depression Nalgae but, unlike some other areas of Thailand we have been fortunate. Some areas are floo

Posted Images

Never saw such talk. Any references? My balls aren't made of crystal but everyone I've seen/heard seems as certain as you can be at the mo the Bangkok airport (Suvarnabhumi) is going to be fine. (Don Mueang, on the other hand, may not be.)

"Higher" military airports means Isan - Korat for prime example. You can't, you just CAN'T divert Suvarnabhumi traffic there, so if Suvarnabhumi is closed, there won't be alternatives on higher ground, Thailand air traffic will simply be 90 per cent closed. Airlines, apart from THAI, are not going to park at Korat and wait out the floods. And they CANNOT move passengers into Korat, Takhli, Udorn, etc. In a horrible, terrible emergency, they could very slowly move passengers OUT of those places. Maybe.

The next week is going to be just horrible for Bangkok and especially surrounding provinces. As they say in the US, the rubber is hitting the road for the Big Mango right now. High tide going up, runoff coming down, they meet right at Bangkok. Happens every year and of course this year is very, very bad.

I saw it in the Bangkok Post a few days ago. Or I could have just made it up, like you assume I do. I didn't say they were diverting flights, I said they were thinking of moving out of service equipment, to other military airfields.

Perhaps i just imagined it ? Thought I would throw it in, just for you to rebuff. I do that sometimes. :banghead

I thought you said this was no worse than a few years back ? Or was that just to contradict anything I say as usual ?

Just Google 'Moving aircraft from Bangkok airport'. It worked for me. About 140 of 'em. Dong Muang could be an alternative for flight operations, If Subi' gets it feet wet.

Edited by nidnoyham

I saw it in the Bangkok Post a few days ago. Or I could have just made it up, like you assume I do. I didn't say they were diverting flights, I said they were thinking of moving out of service equipment, to other military airfields.

Yes. And I asked you where you saw it. Any other pointers? Because I can't find "moving suvarnabhumi higher" or anything similar at the Bangkok Post, which I read, but certainly can miss stories or forget them. I'd like to see the story, I'm interested. I don't doubt you saw it. Is there a reason I can't see it also? No? Good. Thanks. As I wrote: Any pointers welcome.

I'm responsible for what I write, you're responsible for what you write, etc. *I* wrote about diverting flights, etc. You didn't. I didn't say you did. I quoted your post and everything.

I thought you said this was no worse than a few years back ? Or was that just to contradict anything I say as usual ?

You made that up. I said/wrote no such thing. You could quote what I wrote, the way I quoted you. Why don't you? Not as sensational?

Bummer. There's going to be a lot of that. A lot of the banks and finance companies have already announced relief, though.

That's good news and I have been asked which banks! I suggested if he needs to, to approach his financiers and explain the situation.

Overall I am quite impressed how the Thais are helping the Thais in these troubled times, sometimes when you see a pathetic soul you wonder.

Overall I am quite impressed how the Thais are helping the Thais in these troubled times, sometimes when you see a pathetic soul you wonder.

Thais and New Yorkers. They really are the best in a bad situation.

I'll keep an eye out for information on banks' relief, jacko. I saw a very general story a couple, four weeks ago, when the floods were bad in Isan and the North, didn't retain much of it. There'll be more, though.

Yes. And I asked you where you saw it. Any other pointers? Because I can't find "moving suvarnabhumi higher" or anything similar at the Bangkok Post, which I read, but certainly can miss stories or forget them. I'd like to see the story, I'm interested. I don't doubt you saw it. Is there a reason I can't see it also? No? Good. Thanks. As I wrote: Any pointers welcome.

I'm responsible for what I write, you're responsible for what you write, etc. *I* wrote about diverting flights, etc. You didn't. I didn't say you did. I quoted your post and everything.

You made that up. I said/wrote no such thing. You could quote what I wrote, the way I quoted you. Why don't you? Not as sensational?

I didn't say they were moving the a/port, I said they were considering moving the a/craft to higher airports. If they did this, it could impact on services.

As for you talking about the flooding being worse a few years back, try post 10 of this thread.

In my OP, I was quoting my friends assessment of the floods in Phitchet, where it was worse than her dad could remember since he was a kid- 1942 ? You were comparing it with Bangkok, which was at the time unaffected. She was on sight of the flooding you were not, but that didn't stop you jumping onto my post to diss it. Is it that little English flag next to my name that gets you so contrite ? :clueless

• Upvote 1

I agree. I also agree these are not even CLOSE to the worst in living memory, not yet at least. They've been very harmful and killed 225 people and they've got a way to go yet -- but there have been worse floods in the last few years, let alone in memory.

This is the one ! :thumbup

• Upvote 1

Beware if you do need to go to the airport that there is no parking available. Guess where many cars have been put out of harms way.

I just found out how seriously affected I am by the floods:

My fav gal at Saigon Girls just emailed me: She won't be coming back soon, stranded north of BKK with her parents in a partly flooded house.

BOOH!

This is the one ! thumbup

Was that hard? Think of doing that next time, too, instead of insinuating and alleging what I (or any other poster) writes.

So. Having quoted that, at last, are you going to discuss it now? There have been worse floods in the past few years. Any view on that? Some people probably don't agree. How about you?

This link has some dramatic photos from past week.

My spot still safe and appears to be out of any danger. But would that make me say this flood hasn't been the worst in recent memory...FOOK NO, cuz they are when looking at it from scope and economic costs.

The damage to the industrial sector in Ayuthaya alone will cost the more than any other flood has ever cost in Thailand. And whilst a flood and a tsunami are two different things, when the total tab comes in for this baby it could very well exceed the cost of the Tsunami. Surely not what the Thai economy needs in an already perilous global economy.

Anyway, some good pics on this link...

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/worst-flooding-in-decades-swamps-thailand/100168/

Anyway, some good pics on this link...

Thanks for the link. Floods do provide good pics, sigh!

Poor Ayutthaya and the people there. Speaking of pics, these used to be new Hondas, ready for export:

hondas.jpg

Another little impact for us in more fortunate areas......

There are loads of empty shelves, I just did a visit to a Tesco and no canned sardines and instant (Pot) noodles to be had, likely all sent down to Bangkok as they are easy to prep items. There was some tinned salmon though....yummy!

Just a quick update here, as poor old Isan gets it again. This from the morning fishwrap, Wednesday. So your girl MIGHT really be stranded, as of today anyhow.

The overflowing Moon River has left 14 out of 20 provinces in the Northeast under water.

Lt Gen Thawatchai Samutsakorn, commander of the 2nd Army Region who is responsible for the northeastern region, said the 14 provinces included major trade and tourist hubs, namely Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Roi Et, Chaiyaphum and Khon Kaen.

However, he said the flood situation in those provinces was not as bad as in the Central Plains and northern provinces.

Lt Gen Thawatchai said the 2nd Army is fully prepared to carry out flood relief operations in those provinces if necessary. The unit has enough personnel and supplies, he said.

Among the flood-hit provinces, Phimai district of Nakhon Ratchasima was most critical after the left wing of the Phimai dam in the district subsided.

• Upvote 1

Just a quick update here, as poor old Isan gets it again. This from the morning fishwrap, Wednesday. So your girl MIGHT really be stranded, as of today anyhow.

You need waders yet joe ?

If it helps, the o/night temperature here has plummeted. Slushy ice on the car today at 0630.

As an indication of energy costs here, even the weather man got political last night;

" Those of you who have won the lottery, will need to turn your heating up tonight. The rest of us will feel the cold " :rolleyes:

Imagine wading through that flood water here. Your dick would shrink to 9 inches in no time. :whistling:

You need waders yet joe ?

If it helps, the o/night temperature here has plummeted. Slushy ice on the car today at 0630.

As an indication of energy costs here, even the weather man got political last night;

" Those of you who have won the lottery, will need to turn your heating up tonight. The rest of us will feel the cold " :rolleyes:

Imagine wading through that flood water here. Your dick would shrink to 9 inches in no time. :whistling:

Good news is, the flooding that I was referring to in my OP, has begun to subside in Phitchit.

Motorbike will rule again next week and the boats put away for a while, or sent to BKK. :whistling:

Don't worry about me, mate - my pied-à-terre in Had Yai is on the 27th floor. Somebody gave the juristic person people a load of cash after last year's flood so that we could be better prepared next time round. They bought two jet-skis. thumbup.gif

I read that some things like bottled water and foodstuff are getting in short supply in Had Yai.

I have this Haggis in my freezer, from the reduces section of Tesco- it's yours for the asking. Beef Stew for us today.... if I don't hear from you, it will be Haggis on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

the problem is not only in the flood, but also the increase in the transmission of those diseases:

- Water-borne diseases, such as typhoid fever, cholera, leptospirosis and hepatitis A,

- Vector-borne diseases, such as malaria, dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever, yellow fever, and West Nile Fever

the problem is not only in the flood, but also the increase in the transmission of those diseases:

- Water-borne diseases, such as typhoid fever, cholera, leptospirosis and hepatitis A,

- Vector-borne diseases, such as malaria, dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever, yellow fever, and West Nile Fever

Are you talking about Thailand? No of course you aren't, not in any serious manner anyhow.

There is NO zero none zilch nada no danger of the spread of yellow fever. For example. Stop feeding STUPID fears. It's quite serious enough without this ... this .... crap!

I read that some things like bottled water and foodstuff are getting in short supply in Had Yai.

I have this Haggis in my freezer, from the reduces section of Tesco- it's yours for the asking. Beef Stew for us today.... if I don't hear from you, it will be Haggis on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

I wish I'd read this yesterday. My local Sizzler is on what they are calling a 20% menu - which means that 80% of the menu isn't available. It'll probably be closed today. crying.gif

I wish I'd read this yesterday. My local Sizzler is on what they are calling a 20% menu - which means that 80% of the menu isn't available. It'll probably be closed today.

There was a piece in the Fishwrap about a week ago about all the restaurants in Bangkok forced to close, even though they are in totally dry areas, and on the third floor of the malls and so on. When the Rojana Industrial Estate in Ayutthaya went under, so did the factories that pack and deliver so much of the restaurant food.

Incredible knock-on.