Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Steve Jobs dead

Not a lot to say. I was just shocked to see the recent news of his passing on waking up this morning.

A good guy, IMHO.

RIP.

Take a look at Facebook to see millions of messages of condolence!

Love the products or hate them it is remarkable that the "boss" of the 2nd biggest company in the world is so universally liked and respected. That is very very rare in today's world and perhaps the best testimony.

I mean can anyone even name the top honcho at Exxon (without looking it up)? I doubt many can.

I just saw a quote from him (for the first time) - "when I was born songs were on records, telephones were tied down, computers were in rooms and the Internet was unheard of. Go change the world, you can!"

I think Mr Jobs did rather well on the last bit.

RIP you will be missed.

Edited by whitespider

I just saw a quote from him (for the first time) - "when I was born songs were on records, telephones were tied down, computers were in rooms and the Internet was unheard of. Go change the world, you can!"

Obama, today, on a different subject but still... "People are taking out that old record, dusting off that old record...."

Dear Barry,

No, they are not. They're not, because of Jobs, more than anyone else.

Love the products or hate them it is remarkable that the "boss" of the 2nd biggest company in the world is so universally liked and respected. That is very very rare in today's world and perhaps the best testimony.

I understand that "liked" may be a trifle generous.

I wasn't shocked, it was obvious he was quickly going. But RIP is right. Established Apple, then saved it from its predators.

Jobs professionally was everything that is right with the USA and the world. He gave people better, and better and BETTER stuff -- that they didn't even know they wanted, and then they wanted and eventually even needed it, AND it was good for them, made them better, made them more productive, helped them. Every year, what he invented got cheaper and better. Compare that to what the government does. Compare it to, oh, say, schools - where every year the product gets worse AND more expensive.

You went way too soon, Steve, and you took too much with you. May we have thousands more Steve Jobs, and soon.

Edited by joekicker
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't shocked, it was obvious he was quickly going.

What was the cause? I thought his problem was cancer but the BBC News this morning sort of hinted it was AIDS. I did a Google search and there seem to have been mutterings for quite a while about that. I guess we will never know for sure.

What was the cause? I thought his problem was cancer but the BBC News this morning sort of hinted it was AIDS. I did a Google search and there seem to have been mutterings for quite a while about that. I guess we will never know for sure.

The poor guy had a running battle with Pancreatic cancer

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/226055/20111006/steve-jobs-death-2011-pancreatic-cancer-visionary-apple-ii-stevejobs-steve-jobs-how-did-he-die-steve.htm

Jobs professionally was everything that is right with the USA and the world. He gave people better, and better and BETTER stuff -- that they didn't even know they wanted, and then they wanted and eventually even needed it, AND it was good for them, made them better, made them more productive, helped them. Every year, what he invented got cheaper and better.

Hi,

People like Jobs gives us hope for the future. Someone who created useful things rather than those Wall St types who shuffle paper for big profits. RIP.

• Upvote 1

People like Jobs gives us hope for the future. Someone who created useful things rather than those Wall St types who shuffle paper for big profits. RIP.

Funny, but the first thing that came to *MY* mind was the always increasing numbers of government "workers", quotes needed.

That's because Apple is the second biggest company in the world by stock value, and has an awful lot of people who do Wall Street stuff. Without Wall Street, you wouldn't have Apple, and Jobs would be selling computers out of a garage in his home, not able to get any bigger or invent stuff because he couldn't afford the airfare to Taipei.

But even if government were 10 per cent its current size, we'd have both Wall Street and the Apple it helped to create.

Funny, but the first thing that came to *MY* mind was the always increasing numbers of government "workers", quotes needed.

That's because Apple is the second biggest company in the world by stock value, and has an awful lot of people who do Wall Street stuff. Without Wall Street, you wouldn't have Apple, and Jobs would be selling computers out of a garage in his home, not able to get any bigger or invent stuff because he couldn't afford the airfare to Taipei.

But even if government were 10 per cent its current size, we'd have both Wall Street and the Apple it helped to create.

Wall Street helped create Apple? Well, I suppose Apple received some funding when the company went public. But surely, Apple could have received private funding. Wall Street was not necessary. Take a look at Facebook. So far, I can't buy any Facebook stock, but the company is estimated to be worth billions and billions. The work of Wall Street? Hardly.

Wall Street was not necessary.

You might be right, you might be wrong, but a moment of swoosh. Wall Street *IS* necessary because Apple *IS* a public company.

The first thing that went through 'my' mind was..........Money...(All that money), can buy medicine but can't buy you health. Puts a perspective on our problems...our worries.

I first heard on the Beeb, then watched the report on Fox well before MM posted, but I didn't get that impression.

I thought he was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago.

I first heard on the Beeb, then watched the report on Fox well before MM posted, but I didn't get that impression.

I thought he was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago.

The first time I heard it reported on the BBC they said that he was known to have pancreatic cancer and was thought to be suffering from other problems. I did not hear it mentioned that way again throughout the rest of the day.

Without Wall Street, you wouldn't have Apple, and Jobs would be selling computers out of a garage in his home, not able to get any bigger or invent stuff because he couldn't afford the airfare to Taipei.

Hi,

Wall St has become the problem. Venture capital and funding is a good and neccessary part of any market based system. However, Wall St has become a part of the kleptocracy which rules US nowadays. US needs "a cleansing of the temple" moment soon. I believe the present Western system is now so corrupt that it will collapse soon.

Without Wall Street, you wouldn't have Apple

Considering how cash strapped Apple was prior to the i(thing) without out Bill Gates buying 10% of Apple you would not have Apple.

Edited by Fondles

Life is so short. RIP

Wall St has become the problem. Venture capital and funding is a good and neccessary part of any market based system. However, Wall St has become a part of the kleptocracy which rules US nowadays. US needs "a cleansing of the temple" moment soon. I believe the present Western system is now so corrupt that it will collapse soon.

We know you do, wac, really we do.

So. You just cleanse the temple, drive out those darned money changers, wipe out Apple, ExxonMobil, General Electric (Barry will NOT be happy), Ford Motor, Warren Buffett... just wipe them out. No more Wall Street. Simple.

Then what?

We know you do, wac, really we do.

So. You just cleanse the temple, drive out those darned money changers, wipe out Apple, ExxonMobil, General Electric (Barry will NOT be happy), Ford Motor, Warren Buffett... just wipe them out. No more Wall Street. Simple.

Then what?

When did Wac say anything about "wiping them out"?

All that's needed is meaningful regulation. For example, an SEC head that actually believes in doing his job, as opposed to the clown that was in charge during the Bush administration.

Considering how cash strapped Apple was prior to the i(thing) without out Bill Gates buying 10% of Apple you would not have Apple.

That is the least Bill could do... I always thought Windows was a rip off from the Mac.

That is the least Bill could do... I always thought Windows was a rip off from the Mac.

In many ways. But Apple was hardly original, it ripped off the interface as well, look and feel both. In so many ways, really, the iPhone is just a ripoff of 1973 Xerox Parc. Which just ripped off the radar display of WW2, really.