Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Buy Or Rent A House On The Darkside

Been thinking about the future and one item on the to do list is to have a house in Pattaya / Jomtein.

Ok so what would the guys who have rented or bought on the Dark Side recommend

1. rent

2. buy in a few years time

3. buy now and rent out until I am full time in Thailand?

4. what

5. where

Right now I am working in the Middle East but in a couple of years will need a house.

Thanks SNN

Edited by som nam na

You decided on a house already?

A Condo is likely to be more central and can be 100% in your own name.

I would always suggest renting for year or two before jumping in. It gives you a base to use while really searching and comparing.

Some people don't take to living here, easier to leave when all you own is a suitcase.

Your personal circumstances might alter, suddenly you have a wife, mother in law and a few kids :yikes:

Location becomes more of a consideration.

There is also alternatives to the darkside, most of which is deteriorating fast as a desirable place to live.

You decided on a house already?

A Condo is likely to be more central and can be 100% in your own name.

I would always suggest renting for year or two before jumping in. It gives you a base to use while really searching and comparing.

Some people don't take to living here, easier to leave when all you own is a suitcase.

Your personal circumstances might alter, suddenly you have a wife, mother in law and a few kids :yikes:

Location becomes more of a consideration.

There is also alternatives to the darkside, most of which is deteriorating fast as a desirable place to live.

Yes that was my original plan. Bought two unit condo early in in 2008 as then "childless" but I am now in a long term relationship + have a new son. A condo was the right decision as it was good value, is safe, easy to maintain, easy to just close the door and walk away when not in LOS it provides rental income.

Reason for now wanting a house is the condo is not suitable for my son, swimming pool is great but the balcony is a worry also VT 2B is not really a place for him to "grow up". A house is what we need. Big decision is location. Thinking about other areas such as Hua Hin, but need to research the Darkside as I know nothing about it. Some guys who are on rotation live in houses in Jomtien so need to find out about that also.

Reason for my OP is I was hoping to get some feedback on specifics from BM's who are resident in Pattaya (Darkside mainly but also Jomtien). Cheers SNN

Yes that was my original plan. Bought two unit condo early in in 2008 as then "childless" but I am now in a long term relationship + have a new son. A condo was the right decision as it was good value, is safe, easy to maintain, easy to just close the door and walk away when not in LOS it provides rental income.

Reason for now wanting a house is the condo is not suitable for my son, swimming pool is great but the balcony is a worry also VT 2B is not really a place for him to "grow up". A house is what we need. Big decision is location. Thinking about other areas such as Hua Hin, but need to research the Darkside as I know nothing about it. Some guys who are on rotation live in houses in Jomtien so need to find out about that also.

Reason for my OP is I was hoping to get some feedback on specifics from BM's who are resident in Pattaya (Darkside mainly but also Jomtien). Cheers SNN

Agreed, I would not want a balcony if I had children.

Then school location needs to be in your considerations.

I am resident in Pattaya area, but not the darkside. I did live over there for 3 years in a rented house though, and it left me feeling it was an area rotting on it's feet. Higher crime and awful traffic during rush hour to get to say Sukhumvit, there are very nice developments further East, but you increase the driving distances.

I think you are right considering Jomtiem, but also areas to the North (Nongkhret Yai, Nong Plalai), or South, (Hua Yai and Phoenix ) there are higher end developments that make an old Chockchai estate on Khao Talo look like a barrio.

I think schooling for your son should be a factor in deciding where you want to set up home. Once you have found a suitable school for your son, try and find a place within say 10kms from the school that way his journey every day to and from school will not be too bad.

And as someone else mentioned, rent before you buy, to satisfy yourself 100% that you have found a nice spot before you part with your hard earned cash.

Agreed, I would not want a balcony if I had children.

Then school location needs to be in your considerations.

I am resident in Pattaya area, but not the darkside. I did live over there for 3 years in a rented house though, and it left me feeling it was an area rotting on it's feet. Higher crime and awful traffic during rush hour to get to say Sukhumvit, there are very nice developments further East, but you increase the driving distances.

I think you are right considering Jomtiem, but also areas to the North (Nongkhret Yai, Nong Plalai), or South, (Hua Yai and Phoenix ) there are higher end developments that make an old Chockchai estate on Khao Talo look like a barrio.

Jacko's advice is good, however, you are a couple of years away from making that decision. New areas may open up, the economy may change, many different factors can come into pay in that amount of time. It would be best to come when you are ready, rent, and look for an area you like. I wouldn't rule out condo's because of the balcony. Not all condo's have them. High railings can be added as well. Even a better idea: I have a friend that bough every sea side corner unit, from the 3rd floor up in his building. They all had two balcony's. He removed the slider and enclosed the balcony adding square footage to the attached rooms. Now he not only has units with a view on two sides, one being the beach side, but he also owns the biggest units in the building. Some times it helps to think outside the box.

We are up Khaotalo and are happy traffic can be a nightmare but our estate Eakmongkol 4 is very peaceful with no crime to speak of.

I looked up there when I was shopping for my new place... not a bad location, that.

I chose a place in Pattaya Hill 2 tho, up Soi Khow Noi. Very nice...

IMHO a house is the way to go, no matter if your goal is to have a nice place or cheap place. When looking I ran in to several 2 bedroom townhomes between 7-15k, and while I did not choose them some of them were nice. I ended up in a 25k home... but... damn.. its very very nice. Most condo's start around 25k and you get a hotel sized room, or 1-2 small bedrooms if your lucky... and then you pay 7-8 baht per KWH for electric. I pay 3.2 or whatever the government rate is and have a huge 3br home - 10x the size of a condo of the same price.

IMHO its a much better value... but to each his own.

Som nam na, you could use the rent from your condo to rent a place there, but rent is dead money if you are buying it with your girl and with you sons future in mind , could you not buy it on a Thai mortgage in your better halfs name ?

A guy I know has 8 condos, he rents them out and rents a house on Darkside, all I would say is leaving condos empty is not that same as houses, crime, maintenance are issues with a house left unattended as it were.

Do the numbers then see how you feel about it all..

Good luck

I looked up there when I was shopping for my new place... not a bad location, that.

I chose a place in Pattaya Hill 2 tho, up Soi Khow Noi. Very nice...

IMHO a house is the way to go, no matter if your goal is to have a nice place or cheap place. When looking I ran in to several 2 bedroom townhomes between 7-15k, and while I did not choose them some of them were nice. I ended up in a 25k home... but... damn.. its very very nice. Most condo's start around 25k and you get a hotel sized room, or 1-2 small bedrooms if your lucky... and then you pay 7-8 baht per KWH for electric. I pay 3.2 or whatever the government rate is and have a huge 3br home - 10x the size of a condo of the same price.

IMHO its a much better value... but to each his own.

That seems incredible value.

you get a hotel sized room Yes this is true, but depends how long you will spend in the place. I do quite a bit on the Internet, so a bigger condo would be better. However, they are pricey when you move up a size.

Where I would like is, Pratamak hill, or Viewtalay 6...will have a good look next month.

That seems incredible value.

you get a hotel sized room Yes this is true, but depends how long you will spend in the place. I do quite a bit on the Internet, so a bigger condo would be better. However, they are pricey when you move up a size.

Where I would like is, Pratamak hill, or Viewtalay 6...will have a good look next month.

Ya that does make a huge difference.

My first 14 months living here I was in a moderate sized 2 bedroom house... and it was too big reallly. Back then I had very little in the way of possessions, and spent literally every night out until 5am on walking street - I can likely count on one hand the days I stayed at the house all day/night without going out.

Then I moved in to a smallish place... single bedroom... and started accumulating "stuff" lol. I quickly outgrew the place, but ended up staying there well over 2 years, just because I hate moving. The bad part about that move is that shortly after getting that place I changed my pace quite a bit.. decided I would end up in the gutter in a few years at the rate I was going. I don't mean to insult most of the expats that live here... but I just didnt want to end up like that. There are a huge number of drunks living in 3k baht apartments and living from day to day. I have plenty of money, but have no doubt I could spend it up if I tried lol. So I decided to start working again. Since then I have averaged 40-75 hours per week working, and that room became MUCH smaller about then. still tho, I was too lazy to move.

Finally did it tho... the place I am in now is 3br with a den that I use for a office, 2 living rooms, 2 kitchens (one inside, one outside for the thai stinky food lol), and is in a really good location - less than 5 minutes drive to Dao bar (where I have a couple favorite ST girls lol). Its a big place, but gives me room to breath. If I want to have friends over, no problem... In fact John1000 on this forum is staying here with his GF now, and its working out quite well. Much better arrangement. :)

Anyway.. Condo's are all well and good for someone on holiday... but I sure wouldnt want to live in one. To each his own tho :)