Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Last weekend - I took part in the London Marathon (A great experience like my first visit to Pattaya)

Before the start I chatted to another competitor and discussed marathons we had run in different parts of the world. I mentioned I was going to be in Thailand in 5 weeks and he stated that there were 2 Thai marathons. Bangkok and another in "a place called Pattaya". I said that I was familiar (quite an understatement) with Pattaya but did not know about the marathon.

Anyone know if there is such an event ?

What time of year and the route ? It must be a tough proposition to run 26 miles in the heat and humidity !

Maybe there is a web-site.

2003 Pattaya Marathon

Date : July 20, 2003

Place : Pattaya City, Chon Buri

As a tourism centre for the Thailand's eastern seaboard and one of the region's premier beach resorts well-served by an extensive range of facilities of international standards, Pattaya is a complete destination with land and marine attractions within easy access.

Pattaya also offers one of the most picturesque running routes in South East Asia and is home to the "Pattaya Marathon", an annual international event which features a marathon, Half-Marathon, and a 10.550 km. Quarter Marathon and attracts participation from world-class runners and locals.

Daveuk,

This year's marathon takes place on Sun, 20 July 2003.

Below is the info from last year's race - I would imagine things will be pretty much the same.  The easiest place to get the entry forms and further info is from the TAT office in Albemarle Street (just off Picadilly, opposite the Ritz, in London).

It starts at 5 am so it would be just right to for me to finish just in time for the FLB opening. :-/

Pattaya Marathon 2002

Date

Sunday 21 July, 2002

Event

• Marathon (42.195 km.) Starting at 5.00 am.

• Half Marathon (21.100 km.) Starting at 5.30 am.

• Quarter Marathon (10.550) Starting at 6.00 am.

Venue

Starting and finishing at Sois 4-5, along Pattaya Beach Road.

Application Fee

• Marathon 500 Baht (now 14 July 2002) 700 Baht (15-20 July 2002)

• Half Marathon 300 Baht (now 18 July 2002) 500 Baht (19-20 July 2002)

• Quarter Marathon 300 Baht (till the competition day)

How to register?

• By hand

- Pattaya City, North Pattaya, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260, Tel. (66 38) 410 200

- Amateur Athletic Association of Thailand Tel. (66 2) 564 3322

- Running Sport and Trophy 314/24 Soi Sue Yai Utit, Ratchadaphisek Road. Ladyao, Chatuchak, Bangkok

10900 Tel. (66 2) 930 6809, 930 6405-6, 934 1219

- Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)

Head office: at Finance Division 10th Floor, Le Concorde Building, 202 Ratchadaphisek Road

Tel. (66 2) 694 1222 ext 1180, 1182, 1007-8

Pattaya office: 609 Mu 10, Phra Tham Nak Rd., Tambon Nongpue, Amphoe Bang Lamung, Chon Buri 20260 Tel. (66 38) 427 667, (66 38) 428 750

Domestic offices: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phitsanulok, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Cha-am, Tak, Kanchanaburi, Nakhon Nayok, Trat, Rayong, Lopburi, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Phanom, Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Phuket, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Surat Thani and Songkhla.

Overseas offices: Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Sydney, Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, London, New York and Los Angeles

• By mail, send your application form with a money order or bill of exchange to P.O. Huai Khwang, addressed to the Director of the Finance Division, Tourism Authority of Thailand 10th Floor Le Concorde Building, 202 Ratchadaphisek Road, Huai Khwang, Bangkok 10310 and enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope before 5 July 2002 (stamped date)

Prizes

• Cash : attached details

• Trophies: The first six winners in each category and each age group will receive a honorary Trophy.

• Medals: Everyone who reaches the finish line as stated in accordance with the Committee's regulations, in the Marathon, Half-Marathon and Quarter Marathon will receive the Pattaya Marathon conquerable medal.

• Certificates: For marathon athletes, everyone who reaches the finish line before 11.00 am. will receive a certificate.

• Remarks: The winner of the local Thai men's and women's categories who receive a cash prize must be a Thai national.

Souvenirs

• All entrants shall each receive the Pattaya Marathon 2002 T-Shirt, and some souvenirs.

• Please take evidence of your registration to receive your serial number, T-shirt and souvenirs on 20 July 2002, 9.00 am. - 9.00 pm. at the Pattaya Marathon Headquarters 2002, located at the starting point around Sois 4-5.

Age Verification

• To count the age of all entrants for each group is 2002 minus your birth year.

Serial Number Attaching

• Marathon and Half Marathon: attach the serial label on front and on the back of the Shirt.

• Quarter Marathon: attach the serial label on front of the shirt.

Reporting before the Competition

• Marathon 4.30 - 4.55 am.

• Half Marathon 5.00 - 5.25 am.

• Quarter Marathon 5.30 - 5.55 am.

Reporting after Finishing

The first six winners for each group of each category must report to the Reporting Committee with their ID card within 15 minutes after finishing. If not, the prize will be given to the runner-up.

Parking

Pattaya City has prepared a large parking area with security.

1. Alcazar Cabaret Parking (2nd Pattaya Rd.)

2. Pattaya Palace (old) Parking (2nd Pattaya Rd.)

You can enter on Pattaya 2 Rd. Just 700 m. from "Start-Finish"

Hope this is of some help,

Tom

Thanks Guys - especially Pete and Tom - I've printed out all the info. This site gets better and better - is there no limit to the knowledge one can gleen from freelancerbar.com.

I have started fantasing about the Pattaya marathon already, including stopping when exhausted to receive a reviving massage at SabiaDee or even for quick ST on Soi 8 !.

Seriously I think it would have to be the half marathon, as the full one would be just too difficult in the heat. I wonder how many farangs actually complete the course ?. There are a few runners in Pattaya - I once met a Dutch man who ran from Naklua to Jontien and back nearly everyday. A run from Soi 8 to the Police Post at Jontien was enough for me. It was nice finishing though - my girl had bought a coconut for me and the juice tasted wonderful. We returned on a bus !.

Posted by: CheshireTom...It starts at 5 am so it would be just right to for me to finish just in time for the FLB opening.

Hey Tom...old falangs on motor scooters prohibited from entering.. ;D

Sprinter

Daveuk,

Like you, I was going to enter the London marathon and then I found out they were giving that Paula bird a 15 minute start on me.  No wonder she always wins. :-/

Tom

Tom

Yes Paula is awesome and its nice to see England winning something for a change.

Some of the Pattay Bar Girls are quite fit  (in more ways than one). Last year I paid bar for one and noticed she had very strong looking legs on a young  body. In the morning I asked her if she would like to "Go see Buddha" - the one on the hill overlooking Pty. She readily agreed particularly after I mentioned shopping afterwards. I surprised her stating that "We take walk" (from Soi 8). Going up the steep hill I started jogging and said that she should try and keep with me. She did that and more getting to the Radio Station (with the statue of the Thai Admiral) hardly out of breath. Later on we used the fitness trail at the bottom. I was impressed - I suppose a lot of the them doing  lot of walking and physical work back home !.

Hmmmm,

Sunday 21st July, I'll be home before then.

Just as well perhaps, because 5:30 a.m. is too early in the morning to get a taxi from the Flipper Lodge to Beach Road to watch them ;D

Dougie

Dave, so how did you do in the London then??  Sorry I was going to wish you luck a couple of days before but got so bogged down here with so much to do that I clean forgot about it.  Anyway many congratulations for completing it.

For those that have never run a London Marathon then I can say is certainly it is one hell of an experience, having run two of them in the late 80's before the knee wore completely out.

Ray - I have sent you a message with the details of my run (Not of interest to non-marathon afficinadoes)

All was well until 18 miles when I "hit the wall" and had to walk the last 8 miles, finishing with a time of 5:01 - only nearly 3 hours behind Paula !.

The ultimate disgrace was being overtaken by a Womble (large furry aminal from a children's TV series) and also by a Hippo !  :'(