Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Just read in the Bangkok Post that the newest problem with the flooding is cars being parked and abandoned on the elevated roadways.

This affects not only regular traffic but also flood control vehicles carrying sand etc.

The reality is that SoonWanaBoomboom airport could be shut down.

Wondering how the trail from Bangkok to Pattaya will be affected.

Have to admire the reslilence of the Thai people during this difficult time.

The reality is that SoonWanaBoomboom airport could be shut down.

Whose reality? You didn't read that in the Bangkok Post, so do you have some actual, you know, real reason for writing that?

I have a friend whose company sells memory and other computer components. They have offices worldwide.

She is suddenly having trouble getting hard drives. Apparently a significant portion of them are manufactured in Thailand.

I have a friend whose company sells memory and other computer components. They have offices worldwide.

She is suddenly having trouble getting hard drives. Apparently a significant portion of them are manufactured in Thailand.

So are a significant portion of hard-ons too ! :rolleyes:

If Joekickass lives in Bangkok where are all his post on the flooding and his advice where to put the sand bags.

I didn't know about the other thread about Bangkok flooding because it was buried in an area that few read. Heck, I didn't even know it existed. Probably a good idea to combine them.

Just my opinion, but I think a thread about major flooding so serious as to possibly cause people to change travel plans should land in a place with more attention that "chit chat".

Just my opinion, but I think a thread about major flooding so serious as to possibly cause people to change travel plans should land in a place with more attention that "chit chat".

Try one of the other three main threads on it.

HUGE knock-on from these floods, in a very connected "just in time" world. Hard drives for sure. Car parts have ALREADY closed down Rayong car factories, where there are no floods, and will close down others on other continents, maybe. Hundreds of people waiting for their new Honda ALREADY didn't get it, because the cars were in the factory parking lot, ready for export. iPhones aren't getting their chips, they will be in short supply.

It's a connected world. This is going to cause a lot of problems.

I didn't know about the other thread about Bangkok flooding because it was buried in an area that few read. Heck, I didn't even know it existed. Probably a good idea to combine them.

You need to use the VIEW NEW CONTENT feature.

The flooding is effecting Pattaya even though we don't have the water other areas have. I can't buy San Miguel in cans, all the stores have been out for a week. Not that I like caned beer, I just don't like caring glass bottles on a motorbike. I talked with a friend yesterday who has a young baby and a working wife. She doesn't breast feed, and had been going from store to store trying to find baby formula, when I talked to him, they still hadn't found any. While eating Breakfast at Tigglebitties, Newy said that she had to drive all over Pattaya trying to supply the restaurant. She hadn't found bacon or sausage yet. Some food items just can't be found. Jane has a friend in BKK who has about 3 foot of water at her place, she can not find bottled drinking water. People have bought it up, hording it, and also taking it to flooded areas for family members. Her motorbike won't run because days ago the water was 6' deep. She can only go as far as she can walk, or wade in her case. Imaging having 3' of water in your house, but no drinkable water. One of the FLB girls went to BKK Wednsday and she said that there was no bottled water in any of the 7-11's or food marts, and she was in a dry area.

I met a guy who's home up north flooded, so he came to Pattaya to stay until it's over. He said that on the way here the roads were clogged with pickup trucks filled with supplies being taken to flood areas. Pattaya may suffer more shortages as supplies that usually come from BKK are diverted to flood areas. At least pussy isn't in short supply :)

I had to share this pic with you. Jane's friend in BKK sent us some pictures of her house and soi. Lots of water, sand bags, heavy equipment pushing dirt and mud to make walls. But this picture is the funniest. These are Thai's that are catching fish on BKK soi's just down from her house.

Fishing BKK streets.jpg

Try one of the other three main threads on it.

HUGE knock-on from these floods, in a very connected "just in time" world. Hard drives for sure. Car parts have ALREADY closed down Rayong car factories, where there are no floods, and will close down others on other continents, maybe. Hundreds of people waiting for their new Honda ALREADY didn't get it, because the cars were in the factory parking lot, ready for export. iPhones aren't getting their chips, they will be in short supply.

It's a connected world. This is going to cause a lot of problems.

Hard drives are already shooting up in price as suppliers start profiteering from the upcoming shortage.

Thailand's economy is going to take a huge hit as a result of the flooding.

Hard drives are already shooting up in price as suppliers start profiteering from the upcoming shortage.

Thailand's economy is going to take a huge hit as a result of the flooding.

I have a hard time putting hard drives in the "profiteering" pigeonhole.

I'm not so sure that the economy will take it so hard. This quarter will see a problem, a drop and unemployment for sure, possibly even negative growth. But almost immediately the floods end by November, reconstruction and rehabilitiation will commence, and it will be HUGE - hundreds of billions for certain. There's not a company that is pulling out (so far) and that rebuilding alone will be enormous and almost entirely financed by insurance.

I'm not so sure that the economy will take it so hard. This quarter will see a problem, a drop and unemployment for sure, possibly even negative growth. But almost immediately the floods end by November, reconstruction and rehabilitiation will commence, and it will be HUGE - hundreds of billions for certain. There's not a company that is pulling out (so far) and that rebuilding alone will be enormous and almost entirely financed by insurance.

Fits with what I have heard. My TGF's brother, laid off because of the floods, has been told to be ready to get back to work when called. As an engineer he will be busy getting things up and running before the production staff return. Generally activity like this boosts an economy.

There will be a big negative effect on agriculture.

There will be a big negative effect on agriculture.

Glad to hear of your BIL, good news that.

I'm not even sure about agriculture. You remember around Ayutthaya, they diverted water INTO the town so the farmers could grab the 3rd rice crop, and largely successfully. It seems the water will be gone (hard to predict, especially the future) in time for main-crop planting. I'm not saying nothing happened but I'm not (yet) convinced of "big negative". We shall see.

Prices of computer components can be volatile depending on availabilty.

A fair amount of the worlds HDD production comes from Seagate and Western Digital factories in Thailand.

In the last week I have noticed price increases of about 20% on some suppliers websites, with quite a few now out of stock. Yes, companies are profiteering from the shortage.

With camera manufacturers Canon, Nikon and Sony having factories in Thailand it will hit supplies of those as well.

Thai Flooding

A clearer picture of the impact of the Thailand floods is now emerging, with a severe impact to Western Digital and Seagate, large customers like Apple, and, to a lesser extent, camera makers Sony and Nikon.

Western Digital, the world's largest hard drive maker, projected that the company will be able to sell between 22 million and 26 million drives in the current quarter, less than half of the 57.8 million drives that it sold previously, because of the floods. Seagate expects a 20 percent drop in its disk-drive output.

All this means higher prices for disk drives, possible shortages in computers as OEMs wait for parts, and a greater reliance on solid-state disk drives.

Tim Cook, chief executive of Apple, addressed the issue during the company's conference call this week.

"From the work that we have done, we would say that our primary exposure is on the Mac because as you point out, of the number of drives or drive components that are sourced in or in Thailand is a significant portion of the total worldwide supply of drives," Cook said. "And so I can't give you a precise accounting. It is something that I'm concerned about. We do expect -- I'm virtually certain there will be an overall industry shortage of disk drives as a result of the disaster. How it affects Apple? I'm not sure," he said.

Fortunately, reports that said Sony would be forced to delay production of its NEX-7 camera and the Reflex Alpha 65 SLR are untrue, at least for now, in the United States. Nikon said Friday that the company still doesn't know the effects on its business; other reports have claimed that it makes 90 percent of its SLRs in Thailand. All of Nikon's operations at the Rojana Industrial Park in Ayutthaya Province are under water, at least the first floor.

According to Western Digital chief executive John Coyne, 317 fatalities have been reported as a result of the flood, with over 9 million people affected, 700,000 homes and 14,000 factories flooded and over 660,000 workers out of work. WD executives shut down production in Thailand last week.

Full recovery will take several quarters, WD executives said, with some analysts speculating that it will take the better part of a year. The problem? The floods aren't over.

"We are evaluating the situation on a continuous basis," said Timothy Leyden, the company's chief financial officer. "But in order to get these facilities back up and running, we need the water level to stabilize, after which point, it will take some period of time for the floods to recede."

Equipment on the first floors is "submerged," WD executives said.

Seagate said previously that its problems stem from issues with component manufacturers that supply it with parts that it later assembles.

Although the auto industry is also affected, including Toyota, more questions lie with camera makers. A list of companies that use the Rojana Industrial Park includes both Canon and Nikon. Sony has operations elsewhere in the Ayutthaya region.

"Operations of our factory in Thailand have been temporarily suspended due to flooding, supply chain and transportation difficulties," a Sony spokesman said in a statement Friday. "The affected factory, Sony Technology Thailand – Ayutthaya (STT-A), manufactures Alpha / NEX camera bodies and interchangeable lenses. As a temporary emergency operation, Sony is planning to move production to another facility in Thailand that was unaffected by the flood. We're currently investigating the overall impact on supply chain and future product shipping."

"In Japan, a press announcement was made on October 20th regarding launch delays to the Japanese market," Sony added. "This release does not apply to the US market, as the impact of the flood on U.S. product shipping is still under investigation."

At Canon, the world's largest maker of cameras, two factories in Ayutthaya have stopped. The company is considering relocating inkjet printer production as far as Vietnam, spokesman Gota Fumoto said, as reported by Bloomberg

Source

The economy will take a hit because Thailand is a big exporter and it will take a while for the factories to start exporting again. I watched a clip on the news today where some Japanese companies which have production facilities in Thailand are now looking at other options.

Edited by TheFiend

Prices of computer components can be volatile depending on availabilty.

Yes. It was the "profiteering" word I can't really accept. Business is supply and demand. It's not like hard drives are among the basic necessities of life. I think that higher rice prices and water-taxi prices - I think that's profiteering. For one thing, the supply of rice and water taxis are the SAME, and for another, they are life's necessities. There's a grey area in there, but I think computer hard drives are way the other side of profiteering.

Any details on that article or what Japanese are thinking of moving? I've been watching for that, among other things. Honda, Sony and others took one heck of a beating. Toyota, too -- and of course all kinds of little guys. But is there some place you're safer from natural disasters than Ayutthaya or Bangkok? Not Japan, eh?

Glad to hear of your BIL, good news that.

I'm not even sure about agriculture. You remember around Ayutthaya, they diverted water INTO the town so the farmers could grab the 3rd rice crop, and largely successfully. It seems the water will be gone (hard to predict, especially the future) in time for main-crop planting. I'm not saying nothing happened but I'm not (yet) convinced of "big negative". We shall see.

Well he isn't back at work yet and the due date is unknown. My point was supporting your statement that the authorities will be balls to the walls to get things up and running as soon as they can.

My use of the word agriculture was perhaps too broad. I know I couldn't get any of those big shrimps with the claws (langostinos?) for my BBQ this weekend. Something about floods in Chachoengsao. (Don't hit on me if wrong, feedback from her in the kitchen).

The Bangkok post was a little more pessimistic regarding rice crops.... but hey, that is what newspapers do!

The Thai Rice Mills Association has forecast that rice production might fall by 15-20% to fewer than 20 million tonnes, but the Thai Rice Exporters Association and others believe the losses will be less severe.

Banjong Tungjitwattanakun, vice-president of the Thai Rice Mills Association, said key growing areas in the central, northern and northeastern provinces were affected by the floods, with some mills having been inundated, damaging stockpiles.

And the BBC is discussing shortages around SE Asia of rice as I type!

Edited by jacko

I was just told that there are tents going up on Jomtiem beach.

Anybody there to confirm or deny?

Pictures would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. It was the "profiteering" word I can't really accept. Business is supply and demand. It's not like hard drives are among the basic necessities of life. I think that higher rice prices and water-taxi prices - I think that's profiteering. For one thing, the supply of rice and water taxis are the SAME, and for another, they are life's necessities. There's a grey area in there, but I think computer hard drives are way the other side of profiteering.

Just been checking Hard Drive prices as I am about build myself another system and the price of disks in the has more than doubled since last month with a lot showing out of stock......

Good job I bought a new HDD last month as the price of that one has tripled.... I'm lucky I don't need another for my build..

And you say it's not profiteering!!! :whistling:

And you say it's not profiteering!!! whistling

It's not. And yes, you were lucky to buy when prices were low. There is now going to be a big shortage of hard drives for the likes of you and me. Companies that make hard drives are going to scramble to supply OEMs, and the loser is the smaller shops and the individual buyers.

The problem with your wording: if everything is profiteering, then nothing is profiteering. If you equate charging more for hard drives in England and New England with charging more for rice to feed stranded and hungry people in the centre of the floods, then there is simply no such thing as profiteering on anything, anywhere. According to that ALL capitalism is profiteering. There's no more use for the word "profiteering".

Edited by joekicker

External hard drives are dirt cheap now with 2TB at $65 and 3TB at $100.I expect a slight drop from those prices on Black Friday in 13 days.I haven't been paying attention to prices internal HDs though.

External hard drives are dirt cheap now with 2TB at $65 and 3TB at $100.I expect a slight drop from those prices on Black Friday in 13 days.I haven't been paying attention to prices internal HDs though.

In Mexico maybe. In the US, about $120 today, says Mr Google.

They WERE $100. Then Thailand had a flood.

It's not. And yes, you were lucky to buy when prices were low. There is now going to be a big shortage of hard drives for the likes of you and me. Companies that make hard drives are going to scramble to supply OEMs, and the loser is the smaller shops and the individual buyers.

The problem with your wording: if everything is profiteering, then nothing is profiteering. If you equate charging more for hard drives in England and New England with charging more for rice to feed stranded and hungry people in the centre of the floods, then there is simply no such thing as profiteering on anything, anywhere. According to that ALL capitalism is profiteering. There's no more use for the word "profiteering".

And where did I say everything is profiteering? You'd argue black is white!!! :whistling:

If stock was bought at a certain price and, then all of a sudden, supply comes to a halt, putting up the retail price of your existing stock is profiteering.....

OEM built computers will definitely rise in price as manufacturers pass on increased costs. Demand for SSD's will definitely increase as a result of the HDD shortage and as long as SSD manufacturers can supply the demand, then SSD prices should fall.

Edited by TheFiend

And where did I say everything is profiteering? You'd argue black is white!!! whistling

Uh-huh. Could you identify who wrote this?

And you say it's not profiteering!!! whistling

Seems I wasn't arguing at all, until you brought it up again. And since you did, I did.

If stock was bought at a certain price and, then all of a sudden, supply comes to a halt, putting up the retail price of your existing stock is profiteering.....

Fine, now you want to change the English language. You're an ambitious person. Okay, what the heck?

So putting prices up is profiteering. So what, then, do you call it when someone ILLEGALLY raises the price of, oh, say, the price of rice -- in the middle of a natural disaster to people caught up IN that disaster in... oh, I don't know, say, Bangkok? Raises the price of a necessity, a controlled-price necessity, breaks the law, during a natural disaster. What do we call that?

If we call it "profiteering" then there's no difference between that and raising the price of hard drives or, as you put it "stock". But it *IS* different. One, it's illegal. Two, it's a necessity. So it is not the SAME as raising the price of stock. Do you have a word for it? We used to have a word for it, until you took it.

And I don't know you, but do me (and you) a favour and DON'T use a dictionary, there's ever so much better available. Using a dictionary is just another version of Godwin's law.