Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Thanks for the TR. Brought back some memories from my trip in 2010. I had read about the female relations laws before I went, hence I made a point of keeping my nose clean. Focused on great scenery, cheap eating and drinking.

When I was in Luang Prabang I spent a day out at Kuang Si Waterfalls, 30kms out of town. "Baht" type buses take you out there. I asked at my guesthouse what was a fair price to pay. More passengers equates to less cost. My guesthouse arranged a ride through one of their friends. I shared the ride with 4 young backpackers. Admission to the park was 20K. Take bug spray,towel,sandals and camera. One rope swing over one of the pools that you can swim in. Nice and refreshing from the heat. Many locals picnic out there. I crossed paths with a number of tourists I had seen up in northern Laos. There are food and market stalls around the entry to the park. Overall, a pleasant day's outing.

Tip: Check first if the water is flowing.

Finally, I enjoyed doing the write up and re-looking through the photos so I guess that on this specific trip it was 85% positive and 15% "Been there and done that!"

All that matters. Cheers.

Thanx for report,brings back sweet memories of my one and only trip to the capital in '05.

On a different note,looking at the pics of up country LB...it got me thinking its a loooong way from home isnt it...if the locals decided they wanted to have falang BBQ...i get the feeling that there'd be not much u could do about it.

Edited by ramm

Great stuff. Amazing pictures. Laos is a beautiful scenic country.

I am actually in Laos right now. Been in Xekong/Sekong/Sepon (depending on who is typing/writing it) for about a month. Head to Savanakhet tomorrow.

As far as language goes, no one here speaks any english. Luckily I have a Lao speaker and another who speaks Lao or Thai and we get by fine.

As far as the company of ladies this is just a village, there is one 'guest house' that has a couple of Vietnamese girls and the going rate is 300,000 kip which is about $37-38. Thats just a simple short time. I am fairly certain that is an "American" price. I doubt any locals are laying out that much. There is not an option for long time.

This is definitely not the place to vacation/site see. This is a work adventure and I certainly wouldnt come back here if i wasnt getting paid to.

Savanakhet should be a different/better story. We'll see. Only there for 2 days but I am sure we'll venture out.

• 6 months later...

100_2162.jpg

Just happened on this - great report teelack. I particularly like the above picture - I was interested to hear the park was constructed in the 50s as I was about to ask about its "ancient architecture"!

Oh..... and on the plane "no more wine PLEEEEEAASSSSSSE!"

Thanks for the education.

Andy Cap

Not sure why the photo isn't showing so this is the one...

buddha park laos.jpg

Edited by capdagde

Just happened on this - great report teelack. I particularly like the above picture - I was interested to hear the park was constructed in the 50s as I was about to ask about its "ancient architecture"!

Oh..... and on the plane "no more wine PLEEEEEAASSSSSSE!"

Thanks for the education.

Andy Cap

Not sure why the photo isn't showing so this is the one...

buddha park laos.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking about Laos yesteday and thought I would pass this on. The main thing thaat I noticed here was that the place is 30 years behind Thailand in sophistication and understanding of tourists needs but this is well compensated for with the willingness to do the best that they can and always with a smile. I am not sure if I will ever go back and with Burma opening up I might have to make a visit there one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the insight and pics and also the suggestion for the Discovery Pass.

Thanks for the insight and pics and also the suggestion for the Discovery Pass.

There is one thing that I would have done differently with the Discovery Pass and that would have been to fly from Laos to Siem Reap for the final leg and get road transport back to Pattaya from there.

• 4 weeks later...