Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I've been to Pattaya a few times now and often used the taxi bikes without any really scary moments. I'm an experienced biker in the UK and well aware of the riding/driving standards in Thailand :yikes: , however what I would like is some advice about the legalities of riding over there. I've 'heard' about the police stops and bikes being impounded and being fined for fictitious breaches of traffic laws, but what is the best way to

a) avoid these stops being an issue and

B) the best way to handle them.

What documentation do I need to ride a bike over there to prevent fines or bike being taken off me?

Thanks guys

Keyman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My experience is that in 7 years of riding a motorbike daily, I have been stopped 3 times. Once for no helmet on a passenger, once for making a right turn at Soi Buakhao and Pattaya Tai on market day,

Interesting. Loads of 125cc motor bikes, but note a few like the Yamaha Nouvo is 135cc. Some of them state engine size on the decals and other do not.     If you have a tourist visa (not a visa

Roo If you've never ridden one before, Pattaya is not the place to learn. You have to have eyes in the back of your head and they will literally come at you from every direction. The normal rules of

Posted Images

I've been to Pattaya a few times now and often used the taxi bikes without any really scary moments. I'm an experienced biker in the UK and well aware of the riding/driving standards in Thailand :yikes: , however what I would like is some advice about the legalities of riding over there. I've 'heard' about the police stops and bikes being impounded and being fined for fictitious breaches of traffic laws, but what is the best way to

What documentation do I need to ride a bike over there to prevent fines or bike being taken off me?

Thanks guys

Keyman

My experience is that in 7 years of riding a motorbike daily, I have been stopped 3 times. Once for no helmet on a passenger, once for making a right turn at Soi Buakhao and Pattaya Tai on market day, and once for driving the wrong way down soi 3. Until I had a thai driver's license, the cop took my bike keys, and sent me to get the ticket taken care of. When I returned with the paid ticket, he gave me my keys back. The other two times, they took my license and sent me to Soi 9 to get it taken care of. The license was sent to Soi 9 as well.

My bike was impounded once for being parked in a no parking zone after a long night where I didn't go move it. That involved a trip to the police station to locate it, then a long ride out to the impound lot to get it.

If you drive legally, and follow the rules, you are unlikely to be stopped. They also stop Thais as much, or more, than farangs. Anything you hear to the contrary is a myth. In fact, when they stop Thais, they frequently piss test them and check their storage area for guns and drugs. That seldom, if ever, happens to farangs.

Don't worry...be happy.

• Upvote 1

“Riding a Motorbike Any Problems”

Your travel insurance will probably deny cover if you ride in LOS (check the small print)

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/18604/one-local-killed-two-foreigners-injured-in-south-pattaya-accident/

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/40810/man-seriously-injured-in-jomtien-second-road-accident/

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/21719/father-and-daughter-seriously-hurt-in-road-crash-in-sattahip/

These are a few, could have posted 100’s many tails of farangs mothers and fathers having to re-mortgage the house to get there boy back from Thailand on a medivac flight.

I've hired motor bikes many times in Pattaya during my regular trips and have been stopped by the cops 3 times:-

1. Going wrong way down Soi 2 - thats very tempting as the alternative is to Beach Road and then back up on Soi 3.

Cop took my keys and said I would have to go to Soi 9 to pay the fine - 300 baht. As an alternative he offered to settle for 600 with a motor-bike taxi man taking the fine. This I accepted. Soi 2 / Soi3 is a happy hunting ground for one particular cop - he never fails to collect a few fines very day.

2. Stopped on Beach Road. Cops examined the details under the bike seat and told me that the tax had not been paid. Fined 600 at Soi 9. This was re-imbursed by Direk Motots (Recommended) on Soi Buakhow who rented me the bike.

3. Not having a drivers licence at Dolphin Roundabout. I showed them my UK licence but was told "No Good". Fined 400 baht payable at a kiosk.

In 8 years I feel that this is OK and have no complaints. The snag about going to Soi 9 to pay fines is that there is sometimes a long wait.

Drove a motorbike lots in Thailand in the last few years and never had any problems. Stopped once in Phuket and once in Pattaya both times with pillion passengers and we both had helemts. They checked the licence and bike rental aggreement no problems my uk licence was accepted. I bow to Martins knowledge of living there in relation to Thai's being stopped as often but it is my knowledge that this only appears to be happening within the last year or so, prior to that I used to watch in amusement outside the police stn on beach rd the thai police stopping the tourists and ignoring the local going past covered in toys or whatever !

However on saying that a lot of tourists bring it upon themselves I know I have been in the company of a few and their riding lleaves alot to be desired. They deserve what they got riding without a helmet (although that helmet is useless but its the llaw) So to get back on track my advice to you would be to carry the rental agreement your driving license a copy of your ppassport and you should have no problems if you keep within the law. Oh and did I forget to mention alcohol and bike riding does not in anyway mix ! Almost forgot in relation to riding a motorbike with regards to holiday insurance check your own policy but its no bigger than 125 cc usually.

Edited by darkmancomes

I have driven a motorbike for 6 months here and have been stopped only once.

IT was on the motorway and I showed license and paper and was on my way in less than a minute.

At the time the officer already had two Thais stopped neither of which were on their way as long as I could see in the rear view mirror.

If you are legal, the police should be the least of your worries.

Driving a motorbike carry risks as you are not well protected, but at least get a good helmet.

Bringing a helmet from home that meets western standard should be considered.

If you drive defensively and you are a decent (and sober) driver you will have a 99.9% likelihood of doing well driving in the Pattaya area.

Cop took my keys and said I would have to go to Soi 9 to pay the fine - 300 baht. As an alternative he offered to settle for 600 with a motor-bike taxi man taking the fine. This I accepted. Soi 2 / Soi3 is a happy hunting ground for one particular cop - he never fails to collect a few fines very day.

I'll bet it's the same fat cop who barely fits in his suit and gleefully pulls over everyone coming down the soi. The problem is that the Soi, as I recall, is the one that goes to the Sabai Dee parking lot, and it shows the parking lot as a left turn off 2nd road, even though it is one way the other way. If you continue past that point to Beach Road, this character is waiting for you.

For minor driving offences I'd try the old purple or brown note. It works wonders.

For minor driving offences I'd try the old purple or brown note. It works wonders.

In my time here I've never encountered a Pattaya cop who hadn't already started writing a ticket. Once they start filling in the blanks, you're in the system.

Have you really gotten away with a bribe? I know I haven't, and wouldn't do it for a cheap ticket anyway.

I don't like to encourage corruption.

In my time here I've never encountered a Pattaya cop who hadn't already started writing a ticket. Once they start filling in the blanks, you're in the system.

Have you really gotten away with a bribe? I know I haven't, and wouldn't do it for a cheap ticket anyway.

I don't like to encourage corruption.

I haven't but the Mrs has a few times. She got stopped when she was pissed once and I think it cost her a thousand baht. Surprised you haven't encountered this in your time in Pattaya. I thought it was common place? Although I am sure a lot of Thai policemen would be corrupt I'm not sure if I would actually have the nerve to offer them a bribe if they hadn't made the offer themselves. It could have even more serious repurcussions. :whistling:

I haven't but the Mrs has a few times. She got stopped when she was pissed once and I think it cost her a thousand baht. Surprised you haven't encountered this in your time in Pattaya. I thought it was common place? Although I am sure a lot of Thai policemen would be corrupt I'm not sure if I would actually have the nerve to offer them a bribe if they hadn't made the offer themselves. It could have even more serious repurcussions. :whistling:

In 9 years they have never accepted my offer in Pattaya. Always had to go to soi 9. Maybe 30 times in 9 years. I go down soi 1 the wrong way a lot. It is worth the ticket for the convenience and time except when I have to go to soi 9. Yes, The fat cop.

Jack

Thanks guys

Keyman

Legally, you need an International licence and your UK one, for motorcycle, or a Thai licence.

If you rent a bike in Pattaya I believe it is not supposed to be taken far out of town.

To avoid being stopped, don't break rules. Those that get pulled over are invariably doing something wrong. No helmet is favourite, wrong way on one-way and parking too far forward at traffic lights.

Unlike MM I do get stopped, generally for nothing otehr than random checks, but not in town, on roads in and out of Pattaya (railway line bypass, Soi Siam CC etc). What they seem to do is stop say 5 bikes, process them while others whiz past, then do that again. I guess they have a good yield that way, I bet 1 in 5 Thai riders has something not right. For me, helmet on, all my documents available, and they see a Thai licence, they wave me off like I am a nuisance.

A bike is a great way to get around, be wary, as you say you are experienced and aware how driving standards are here. But never mix bike and booze. Even beware of riding the morning after, you need your wits about you.

Edited by jacko

To each his own, BUT, I wouldn't jeopardize a Pattaya holiday buy riding a motorbike. The police would be the least of my worries. A lot of lost skin, broken bones or worse would certainly ruin a hard worked for holiday. It's simply not worth it.

I lived in Jomtien and during that time had three different motorbikes, a Honda Dream, a Wave and a Kawasaki Boss. Many will disagree but I think bigger heavier and more powerful bikes are far more dangerous. After a few beers you do get beer courage and if the extra power is there you will use it. I wasn't down on either of the two small bikes but was down twice on the Kawasaki. Not that the Kawasaki is any sort of powerhouse but I enjoyed being able to outrun the Honda Phantoms and that is where the danger comes from.

Jomtien is dangerous enough without going into Pattaya. I got to the point that I wouldn't go into Pattaya on a bike. I always took baht buses.

I always rent a bike. been stopped twice in over 500 days there, both times for going the wrong way up a one-way street, once by accident and once because it was shorter. Fair enough, I wouldn't have got away with a small fine in the UK.

About renting bikes in general, I've said this before but it bears repeating; if you have to think about the controls on a bike, don't rent here. You need a riding standard where you can ignore the bike and concentrate on the road/traffic or you'll get in trouble. Also, even if you're confident and experienced on a bike, don't get carried away and rent some road rocket that's way out of your riding experience, you don't need it in town and the odds of dropping it go way up. IMO of course, but I've got over half a million miles on bikes under my belt (was a motorcycle courier in London at one point) so I do know what I'm talking about.

Thanks guys

Keyman

There are pros and cons of riding a motorcycle here in Pattaya. As an experienced rider you will have a good time and love the freedom to travel anywhere you wish. I suggest an international drivers permit but many Brits get by on their regular motorcycle license alone. If you plan on retiring here or are here long term and meet the requirements I suggest you get your Thai drivers license ASAP as the cops seem to like it and is less hassle.

MM has only been stopped 3 times in about 7 years, my experience is different - over 12 times in 3 years and over 25,000 KMs. Most have been positive experiences especially in regular Pattaya roadblocks.

There are some rogue cops on the darkside and NaJomtiem that demand "tea money" on trumped up charges and these guys usually operate alone and not in proper offical road blocks. I have had I cop start writing a ticket but he convinced me it would be in my best interest to pay him directly to save me time. Once he got his 500 baht he tore up the ticket, I have to suspect he ran 2 sets of books! When they ask you to slip the money in your license you know it is "tea money" (= bribe)

When driving be VERY defensive but keep up to the traffic tempo and don't stop unnecessarily for pedistians because the Thais don't and it upsets the traffic flow - even the Thai pedistrians seem confused. Wear your helmut and obey traffic laws - especially drinking driving as that can cost you alot officially or unofficially (paying cops and victims should you have an accident - you will be at fault automatically).

With the BKK flooding and huge traffic volume in Pattaya right now I would give driving a miss until the area clears out, I am finding it much worse now than high season.

I love riding motorbikes here inspite of the horror stories from many B/Ms. If you are older (= slower reactions), inexperienced, freeze up under pressure or don't drive a motorbike in your western country I'd suggest giving it a miss here.

*** note *** this is Thailand and your experiences and results may differ!

Edited by gerry53

Thanks guys

This is just the sort of info I was after.

I ride over 10,000 miles a year in the UK, so I know of the dangers associated with riding and very aware of the problems of coming off without protection (helmet, leathers, boots, etc). I keep looking for the suntan lotion with that 'extra' protection not normally supplied with hairy legs and sandals!! :clueless

My travel insurance will include cover up to 125cc, so won't be getting a crotch rocket that I've seen some farangs riding (why? nobody else gets over 30mph in town, what's the point????)

I can't get a Thai licence as I'm not resident, just a repetitive tourist, so I'll plump for the international licence, which is actually just a multi language copy of your UK licence.

Any other hints or tips gratefully accepted, looks like my barbill will be going up if I keep offering beer for help :chogdee

see y'all in a few weeks!!

Keyman

With the BKK flooding and huge traffic volume in Pattaya right now I would give driving a miss until the area clears out, I am finding it much worse now than high season.

I love riding motorbikes here inspite of the horror stories from many B/Ms. If you are older (= slower reactions), inexperienced, freeze up under pressure or don't drive a motorbike in your western country I'd suggest giving it a miss here.

*** note *** this is Thailand and your experiences and results may differ!

Good point. I just got back from town on the bike and it certainly seemed a bit more hazardous. More traffic about and people getting fed up of waiting. Decided I needed another coffee before proceeding.

Any other hints or tips gratefully accepted, looks like my barbill will be going up if I keep offering beer for help :chogdee

Keyman

Consider what type of bike. Nuovo or Airblade is good, fully auto, disc on the front and electric start. Just so easy to drive. Edited by jacko

My travel insurance will include cover up to 125cc, so won't be getting a crotch rocket that I've seen some farangs riding (why? nobody else gets over 30mph in town, what's the point????)

Interesting.

Loads of 125cc motor bikes, but note a few like the Yamaha Nouvo is 135cc.

Some of them state engine size on the decals and other do not.

I can't get a Thai licence as I'm not resident, just a repetitive tourist, so I'll plump for the international licence, which is actually just a multi language copy of your UK licence.

If you have a tourist visa (not a visa waiver stamp) you can indeed get a Thai drivers license.

I did.

That said an international license is perfectly good and if you are only here for a week or two, why would you want to waste a day with the Thai government when you could go to Soi 6, get a Thai massage and enjoy a few beverages all in the same time.

Any other hints or tips gratefully accepted, looks like my barbill will be going up if I keep offering beer for help

Unless it is tongue in cheek, why would you offer compensation for help.

Helping each other is in great part what the forums are about.

A simple thanks often serve as encouragements to other to continue being of assistance.

Add to that, after you have rented and operated a motorbike, had you experiences and formed an opinion, you become a source of information and at a later time should put it to good use when another BM post a question.

Just keep the ball rolling.

• Upvote 1

The Yamaha Nouvo Elegance is 135 cc, the regular Nouva is still only 125 cc.

Even more the reason to inquire about engine size if the insurance is limited to 125cc.

There may be other brands and style where this is the case.

stupidly enough no.

I have a full face helmet with full chin guard.

While the helmet is a good and comfortable as the come, damn they indeed are a hassle.

Saying that I'd never ride without it.

I got stopped about 6 montha ago although i was wearing my helmet.They were stopping everyone.I have Thai license,helmet,tax but although i have been stopped before with no problems this time he said "where is the green book"?

I wasnt carrying a copy or original ,it was in the house so he wrote me a ticket and told me to go and pay his boss at the side of the road 200bt.

There was a big queue of people there already waiting and when it got to my turn it changed from 200bt to 400bt.

Itwas all written in Thai so i didnt understand.I questioned it but he just kept saying no 200bt,400bt.I paid it and went home furious.Rang my missus and she came home and me and her went back to the place where they all were.

It turned out that the cop who had written the ticket had put that i didnt have a license which was bullshit as i had shown him it.

Anyway my mrs walked up to this cop boss and all his cronies(about 10 others)and went absolutely fuckin mad at them.There ended up with a big crowd in the road all looking to see what all the fuss was.

But it didnt matter what we said he wouldnt give me back what he owed.Didnt want to lose face.

I was gonna take it further but after a few days i calmed down and then i couldnt be bothered just for the sake of 200bt.

I know i should have done.